Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Thinking about selling OBS and updating to 6.4 or 6.7

5K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  Frostbite 
#1 · (Edited)
Guys, I have a 97 OBS 4x4 that I purchased new. It has 94,000 miles on it and runs great. I have added a wicked wheel, 175/30 injectors, exhaust, down pipe, intercooler, etc. etc. It's a great truck BUT rides like a lumber wagon and has no air bags and will be 20 years old next year and we want to make some longer camping trips with a pickup camper and boat in tow.

So, my question to you is: Do I keep my OBS and upgrade the stock transmission and other vitals or buy a newer 6.4 or 6.7 powered truck. I really want a F-350 4x4 with a long box (for our camper). I sure wish they still made an extended cab instead of having to go to a crew cab long box. Heck, I might even consider another brand but, I am Ford guy for sure.

I'm curious what your thought might be?

#2 · (Edited)
They still make long bed extended cabs.

I've got an OBS and a 6.4, I love my OBS but the 6.4 rides better, tows better, better interior, more user friendly with things such as better mirrors etc.

I like the character of my OBS though and I'll never get rid of it.

Just to mention: My 6.4 is tuned, studded, built trans, traction bars, all built to be an awesome truck.....don't buy a 6.4 with the intention to leave it stock. A 6.7 is a better choice for a stock emissions equipped diesel.

#3 ·
Would probably be cheaper to axle swap, interior swap and upgrade a few things. Then buy a newer truck.

I see a lot of sick obs builds being done on social media and most if not all were cheaper then getting a newer truck.

#4 ·
Yes, it would be WAY cheaper to upgrade my OBS but, I may keep my OBS AND get a newer truck but, I don't know if I can justify that. I still have my 86 F-150 I have kept as well as my OBS and they both sit way more than they should.

If I were to buy a new one, I am thinking I would be looking for one with under 50,000 miles and with some intake, exhaust and electronics upgrades BUT that biggest thing is, which one (the 6.4 or the 6.7) has less "issues"? I read about all these emission related issues and I am awful happy to have pre-emission truck.

#5 · (Edited)
You've got a one owner, low mile, OBS. I would keep it too and just buy another truck. You've got something pretty special if it's not a rust pile.

Redoing the drive train and axles and stuff I think is a bad idea. You'll have so much time and money into it and barely see any improvement. Money better spent elsewhere.

Most people will say 6.4s are a ticking time bomb but I've never seen any first hand examples of that and I've owned one for almost 100,000 miles now. I bought it with 9,500 miles on it though. Word of mouth and forums all point towards the 6.7 being a lot better than a 6.4.

If you want a used 6.4, find one on a place like this forum, from a person that knows what they have and how to own it. You can find low mile ones still but unlikely to get a factory warranty. Used 6.4s can be found for less than used 6.0s right now.

On the other hand, 6.7s with less that 50k should still have a warranty but will be high $$. You'll be looking at almost brand new prices.

#6 ·
ARS5147, that's exactly the kind of advice I have been looking for and for the record my 97 has zero rust and is in very, very good condition.

I was looking on Autotrader yesterday and I damn near wet myself when I saw several new 6.7 Powerstrokes for more than $73,000. Yikes.....

So, if a guy were to buy a used 6.7, is one year perceived as being better than the others? Or, as in other vehicles, is it best to just get the newest you can afford?

Although I prefer to buy from private parties, maybe I should consider a Ford Certified used truck from a dealer with a warranty?

#7 ·
If you do get a 6.7 too many have had nightmare trouble with the 6.4 There is a reason Ford ditched international and built there own. There are on going lawsuits over the international fiasco. I am starting to see some of the early 6.7s come down to the 20-30K range.

Reactions: Frostbite
#8 ·
2015+ are the perceived better 6.7s. They do have a better turbo and upgraded fuel system. Really though, with warranties and leaving emission equipment in tact, newest you can afford is the best, unless you're looking at high miles and lots of idle time.

If it's rust free, don't get rid of it. All I see is clean OBSs getting more and more expensive.

#9 ·
Huh, I thought the 6.0 was the reason Ford and International split up. I wasn't aware the 6.4 was also an International built engine. Interesting....

In looking at the certified used trucks I see this: Ford Certified Pre-Owned means you not only get the reassurance of a 12Mo/12,000Mile Comprehensive Warranty, but also up to a 7-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty, a 172-point inspection/reconditioning, 24/7 roadside assistance, trip-interruption services, rental car benefits, and a complete CARFAX vehicle history report and CARFAX we'll buy it back warranty.

If I were to buy one from a private party, what are the preferred mods for 6.7s that I would want and that won't destroy the reliability or warranty of the vehicle?

#10 ·
If going that route, just go over the warranty info with a fine tooth comb to see how much it actually covers, such as fuel systems, emission system, expensive things.

Pretty much any mod will void the warranty. Some will say the mod has to be proven to cause the problem, but it's more like prove it didn't.

#11 ·
The 6.4 is more a fun truck. Most people I see have them usually go all-out and have them as a weekend toy as opposed to a daily driver.

The 2nd gen 6.7 is a lot more reliable and suited for daily driving. But pricy! If you know how to talk then you can probably get one for around 50K fully loaded through a Ford dealer.

I just refuse to buy either simply for the fact I find it BS that I have to buy deletes and tunes etc just to make a brand new truck reliable. I'm also not a fan of coils for a road truck.

#12 ·
Thank you. So you can't even do a cold air intake or a chip of any kind? Huh...maybe my 400ish hp. OBS might have to be the hot rod until the warranty is over.

I was reading that the 2015 and newer 6.7's have a better turbo and other parts which bump the hp and torque up quite a bit. Maybe I should wait a bit for a used 2015 model?

#13 ·
So I would just stay away from an '11 or a '17 6.7. New model year roll out means bugs to be worked out. I've had 2 7.3s, a 6.0, and a 6.7. I liked my 99 and my 12 the other two where a bad dream imo. 100k on my 12 and all its needed is a radiator, front seal, and vacuum pump gasket. My 12 Pulls like a sombich and still feels to new for me to be comfortable in. For what it's worth, The master tech at my dealer said the 6.4 is a pain in the balls and would have a 6.0 over one...

#14 ·
Thanks Durapig Eater,speaking of which, and i know it's sacrilege to say but, should I possibly think about considering a Duramax or a Cummins 6.7 instead of a newer Ford?

#15 ·
Dirty maxi or cummupins?! It's your money....

#16 ·
The 15-16s have a different turbo and power level from factory. The dual compressor single turbo on the earlier 6.7s was a poor unreliable design and can be upgraded to a single turbo. The 2011 6.7s had the valve issues that were destroying engines. The problem was traced to bad batches of valves from the vendors and Ford can identify per the vin number. Most of those effected engines have likely blown up and been replaced since then. I don't think I would hesitate on a 2011 with say 100K if everything checked out. I have seen a few early 6.7s with 250K + on the clock. I wish I would have jumped on one that had almost 250K asking 15K for and was 100% bone stock unmolested.

#18 ·
I don't like the IFS on the GM trucks, very poor and unreliable design. IFS belongs on nothing but race cars and light desert trucks. Not to mention the interior is horrid.

The cummins mgt from the factory is the biggest pos I have ever seen. I'm sure it could be fixed with a tune but more unneeded waste of $$$ that could go else where.

If you're really set on a new truck I'd only consider a 15-16 Ford and tune/delete it, but keep factory parts for incase if you need to use warranty.

#27 ·
The Duramax platform has been around for many years. Paired with the Allison transmission, it is a beast.

I have owned several 7.3's, a 2006 6.0, a 2009 6.4, and currently own a 2012 6.7. I feel like I can provide an unbiased opinion.

About three months ago, I picked up a LBZ Duramax. Do some reading on this platform, it is one of the most highly coveted years. The truck is exceptionally powerful, smooth, and quite frankly I pick it almost every day over my 2012 6.7. I routinely tow 6-7000 pounds, so I'm not talking about trips to the grocery store. Don't get me wrong, the 6.7 is a powerhouse and then some. What I like about the Duramax is that it is quieter, and the Allison transmission just knows how to take care of business both upshifting and downshifting. BTW, both trucks are stock. I'm not slamming the 6.7, it does have a nicer interior and a bigger truck feel.

I'm a Ford guy, and I had a tough time buying a Chevy. Now that I've got some time under my belt, I've had to change my opinion. If you look at where Ford and Chevy were at solely on engine platform in 2007, Ford was getting their pants pulled down. I'm proud to drive either truck, just want to give some credit to Chevrolet.

#19 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

Is there a specific gear ratio or package I should look for in the truck?

#20 ·
Higher the gear ratio the better towing shifts but will suffer a bit in terms of mpg when unloaded. A good compromise between a dd and tow rig is 3.73.

#21 ·
OK, a 3.73 gear ratio it will be. Thanks again Horizon 122.

Does anyone else have any words of advice?

#22 ·
Nice low mileage OBS! I don't know how you've only managed to put 94K on it; my '16 already has over 11K on it and I got it at the end of October.

I really like my '96, but I decided to take the plunge on a new truck before the redesign and corresponding jump in prices for '17. My suggestion is to not go drive a 6.7, otherwise you'll likely be coming home with one. The old trucks are nice, but the new ones do everything so much better and are way more comfortable to drive. If I were you, I'd keep the '97 around if you can afford to do so. I plan on selling mine, but I've been dragging my feet because I hate to see it go. I even drove it to work yesterday just to get some miles on it.

#23 · (Edited)
The main cost difference I have read in the higher end models. The platinum and king ranch etc..... The lower end models did not seem to increase too much. The platinum was the biggest jump due to all the luxury that has been added.

#24 ·
i didnt read all the posts here but i just bought a 2011 lariat with 68k for 35,000 so when you see new prices dont run, 15-16s have better turbo and fuel systems but 11-14 have stronger transmissions from what ive read. i like the interior updates they did in 13 with the lariat and up (wish i would have gone 13 or newer) but other then that i think theyre pretty close to the same 11-14. take your time and you can find some reasonably priced trucks and if your ok with cloth like xlt then you could get into low mile for around 30-33 in my neck of the woods. i was in your shoes a few months ago and im glad i ponied up the extra for the 6.7. but now i keep dumping more money into it, so if your into modding beware of that, youll alawys want more!!! delete/tune, now cari lift/wheels and tires, it adds up fast. good luck

#25 ·
#26 ·
Wow, you guys have been a tremendous help for me, thank you. Now that I have heard there is a redesign coming for 2017, I may hold my horses a bit and wait to see how big the rebates are on the 2016 and probably even better rebates on any remaining 2015 models.

I find I like the two tone paint models the best for looks. Although the Platinum models are very, very nice indeed.

I will have to read the mod lists some more. It looks like a new truck will just be another big hole to gladly dump money into.

Any other comments or tips guys?

#28 ·
Good for you CrazyCowboy! I wondered that very thing. It's tough to know which has the better reliability. I will end up driving both 6.7's and the 6.6 Duramax but, test driving and living with a truck are very different. So, thanks for sharing your impressions.

Reactions: Rivers24
#30 ·
How are the Dodges? I drove a stock 5.9 at work and it surely wasn't anything to write home about. My OBS would leave it for dead, at least in a drag race but, I know turned up they make a lot of power.

I have noticed, the Dodges sure seem like they are a lot less money than the Ford and Chevy's.

#31 ·
I've got me on of them new fiats. Sure is a nice ride boy i tell you what. And the laramie interior is the cats pajamas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.