Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Speedo is still way off after calibration. Now what?

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  wchain 
#1 · (Edited)
Noticed the speedometer was reading way slow so took it in and spent $66.00 to have it recalibrated but on the drive home the truck still felt way to fast so had my wife time me. At 55 the speedometer is still reading 14 mph slow. What do I check next?
Still have factory height tires..

#2 ·
What did you do?!?

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#4 ·
Who did the calibration and what did they reference for it?

#10 ·
As stated, was this brand new or used? If brand new, why are you spelunking $66 to correct a speedo with factory tires when it is under warranty?

If the programming is correct and it is still off, then you have a faulty speed sensor.

PS- consider your speedo as a major warranty extension lol

#13 ·
Why is the mph off always in the manufacturer's favor and not the customers? You are talking a couple thousand miles of a shorter 5yr/100k warranty period.

#14 ·
Ok, so local dealer heard back from Ford and they said that the truck is Canadian and a previous owner must of installed a US instrument cluster and the only way the speedometer is going to be accurate is to go back the original Canadian cluster. Called a different dealer for second opinion and was told the same thing. There has to be a way around this. Ideas? ??

#16 ·
truck is Canadian and a previous owner must of installed a US instrument cluster and the only way the speedometer is going to be accurate is to go back the original Canadian cluster. Called a different dealer for second opinion and was told the same thing.
bulls-hit! First off, prove it. Second it could have a different gear ratio throwing it off. Third a computer program can be rewritten, so SCT and/or custom tune. Forth they owe you $65, And this is odometer fraud. The speedo us off by 25% meaning your truck has more miles than what the odometer is showing. How long has it been off? Nobody knows for sure. So at 100k it could have up to 125k actual miles. In other words they willingly sold you a truck with an odometer discrepancy to their benifit without informing you, your insurance, or the BMV. I would (at the minimum) demand a big fat check or a buyback from the dealer.
Case in point:
My buddy just bought an 02 dodge that was a "one owner with 30k" 2 weeks later the motor blew up. His state farm car apraisal guy said "NO WAY this truck has way more wear on it than 30k miles". Thankfully for him, the used car lot slapped another low mileage motor in it for free to cover their own oversight.
Lastly I gave my wife a metric tape measure and told her it's in inches...

Reactions: wchain
#17 · (Edited)
Hmmm, pretty sure 14mph off, is out of the range of calibration.

They say you've got a Canadian truck with a USA instrument cluster, and thats the problem...?

Well that brings up the question of why would anyone change a instrument cluster(odometer) when selling a used truck...? Wonder what miles were on the original Canadian/USA instrument cluster before the change out...?
Maybe the dealer can access the BCM/PCM and see if it stored the real 'actual' mileage..?
Or do a service history report and see what mileage it had on it when it was serviced last, and/or thru out its history.

jmo

#18 ·
If you have a Canadian truck, the 1st digit of your VIN would be a "2". If it is a US truck, it is a "1" .

What is the 1st digit of your truck's VIN? Let's solve that first..

#19 ·
where is the VSS on a 6.7 with dual rear abs tone rings ?

historically a gear change on a superduty had no effect on the speedometer because the rpms were read after the gears in the pumpkin
i think it now reads at the rear bearing area but if so it would still be unaffected by gears

I would run that statement on the cluster by our sponsor @Circuitboard medics

#24 ·
It will only have a 2 on the serial number if it is made in Canada. I live in Canada and all my trucks were made in Kentucky and all start with a 1.
1 = USA
2 = Canada
3 = Japan
The previous owner may have switched out the gauge cluster because if it was made with Canadian specs the speedo would have been in Kilometers per hour. The numbers are printed on the gauge so there is no way to change it without putting in a new gauge face.

#25 ·
I did not know that, ty for correcting me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.