Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Thinking of giving up the 15

5K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  Mario_Arellano 
#1 ·
Well Prior to my Move to Superduties I’ve always owned Corvettes, bought my first Vette when I was 18 and was hooked. Even competed professionally in my last project Vette; been away from Vettes for almost 2 years now.
Traded out when I had a wreck in my Daily Driver 08 F-250.

Well for the last year I’ve been driving a 2015 F-250 just rolled 25,000 miles and absolutely love it. Bought it brand new maintained it right from day one. Good confident feeling truck I drive quite a bit.

Well found out a few months ago the Misses is expecting. Will be number 3
so now the once beloved truck is more of a hey, I’m paying $XXX a month and were just getting by, might need me some more breathing room with a baby popping soon kind of thing now.
Been looking around at options to give me something I like and gaining a bit more financial breathing room.

Found a 2007 Z05 with 55,000 miles on it one owner. All said and down it would pay off the truck and have enough left over to lower my payments just about $250 a month.

Big debate will her 06 Altima with 90,000 mile be reliable enough to be the primary car to move the family and is it smart to give up a truck I owned form brand new for a used car. Then considering I’m currently stationed in TN where we do on occasion get some ice in the winter.

Boy I’ve missed being behind the wheel of a Vette always dreamed of owning a Z06. Tuff decision time!

See less See more
#3 ·
Going from one of the most capable work trucks on the planet with seating for 5-6 to a tiny sports car with a small trunk and two seats seems .................. Interesting :) do you not have need for the truck anymore ? Towing , hauling ? Corvettes are a beautiful thing , just not the most useful tool, good luck with your decision

#4 ·
Just my opinion, but if you're gonna get rid of the truck, I'd want what ever replaced it to be able to carry all the kids. Things happen and just as soon as you only have one vehicle to haul the kids around in something will happen to it and you will not be putting 3 kids in a vette.

#33 ·
I couldn't agree more. I have 3 kids and the truck is not only a good fit when we take it, it is also SAFE. I'm afraid you will be compromising safety when you rely on the Altima as a primary source to cart your family around. I guess its really where your priorities are. I understand times can get tough, we all have our battles, but I would sale all of my vehicles for a safe and dependable vehicle. Cars, trucks, toys, can be purchased anytime, but losing a loved one is irreplaceable. If I didn't already have a SUV (mine's a tank btw) I'd look into a good used one if I were you. Do some serious research as some not only hold their value, but can go 200K+ if taken care of. Just my .02:wink:

#8 ·
lol i agree with most of u lol may same crazy but the truck really isn't a necessity and I'm the only one who rides in it to and form work. when ever we go out together we take the altima lol some thong about getting 27 Mpg on family;y outings is always nice the trucks really just a fall back if say i did have any problems with the altima.

Just hate the though of dumping off my Truck for some thing I'm going to regret. Really don't thing ill be happy to or willing to make the kinda payments I'm making on the truck when the baby does come so i guess my stand point is i know eventually I'm going to get rid of it so just being stubborn and trying to make my self happy about by getting the car i wanted and actual;ly the car i gave up for the truck. lol traded in my last corvette for the truck it wasn't a Z06 and had much more milage though.

#11 ·
as stated already have the family car. this is a secondary
finances are in order. i pay my bills with a small amount left over but i personally would like more left over thats all.

#14 ·
Yea doesn't sound like a vette is the way to go, I see you say that you got a 2nd car for the kids, but it looks like it's also got close to 100,000 miles on it....id be looking to get momma something new, or at least something you can pass down to her when the Altima goes....and then maybe look at a vette

#15 ·
Yes it all reading the post way wrong the Altima is the family car and its hers owned from new never any issues. So reliability is not the concern for that car yes it's got close to 90,000 miles and deff have tried to upgrade but she's set on it for now.
Beside the face that she refuses to let me buy her another car since she had the car and first two kids prior to our meeting and engagment. And there is a 3rd car which was the primary but it's on loan to a family member for a while so the Truck/Vette if I do the trade will end up as the 3rd or date night vechile in a few months. my back ground or qualifications as a family man were never the issue not the topic of this post

#16 ·
the Family man was at jeopardy in my mind
Glad I was reading it wrong sorry about the misread

I still couldn't drive a Vanity car with my other being a family loaner and 3 kids

i gave up all my dangerous toys till the kids went to college then again I have 0 use for a "car" of any kind

even my truck plate reads CAR LOL

not sure why you asked
i never ask anyone before I make a questionable purchase it's much easier to ask forgiveness than permission as you know LOL

still I wouldn't want to ride 5 in an Altima no matter what my wife said I felt way safer with our Mini van specially after she got Hit in the Corolla with my son in his baby seat
luckily he was on the opposite side

#17 ·
I wouldn't trade down from a powerstroke with a full warranty to a used vette... That makes even less sense than anything to me.

Honestly I would take a close look at the loss you would take on the truck itself. Even if you are going to come out on top of the loan, how much value are you really loosing vs gaining with the vette? Its a hard decision, but I don't see the point of going from the truck to a sports car if the point is to save money. I would say trade down to something like an eco diesel or ecoboost. Give you the truck, lowers payments, keeps your ability to cram the rugrats in the back, and isn't really a downgrade for what you use it for. You also have get to keep in a vehicle with a warranty.

That's my honest opinion, if we look at it financially along with keeping a bit of what you want in a toy (yes I know a 150 or ram eco diesel really isn't comparable to a powerstroke or vette... But it makes more sense with the family). If/when the need arises that's the route I will go. Claire would kill me if I bought anything GM anyway :look: You guys would find me drown in a pool of windex lol.

#20 · (Edited)
my take...hey you asked
a vette is a wonderful fun to drive highly enjoyable TOY
sounds like time to give up that kind of toy and get more toys that the kids can play with
battery powered as opposed to gas powered.

think about what seats 5 safely and comfortably...
shop around for something in that category then research the financial out come of trading in your truck, are you going from a 60k truck to a vehicle worth 10k and making nearly the same payments?
what kind of warranty would you get?
how much can you save each month?
how much can you save each month as things are now?
will you come out ahead in the long run?
how much can you save on insurance?
how much can you save n fuel?
can you take the fam and kids friends on a vacation in said vehicle?

I would almost be looking for a quality used excursion my self.
lots of seating, good safety, decent mileage, cheaper to insure, better room for wife kids dogs etc.

just try to make sure you arent taking a bath getting out of our truck to the point that you dont come out ahead when that is your main concern at this point.

#22 ·
I think the OP is about to have kid #3 and hasn't learned very much about maturity. Good luck with your TOUGH DECISION.

#23 ·
That post was kind of rude and unnecessary.

#26 ·
Hey who said being immature was bad!? My wife counts me as one of Her kids all the time:wink: Congratulation on the new baby!!

Heres my experience. I have 4 young kids, when the wife was pregnant with #1 then I traded in my awesome super reliable work horse reg cab 7.3 for a crew cab 7.3. That truck ended up being a POS and was rusting out at a phenomenal rate. Traded that off for an 05 6.0, well it was in the shop every other month for 4 years and I was stuck trying to work out of a Taurus. Now I have a real truck again, but I could have kept my other truck and had it paid off long ago. I can count on one hand all the times we ALL had to ride in my truck.

Moral of the story is don't make a hasty decision pre baby. Use your energy to paint the nursery or whatever. My wife had a Camry she bought brand new and now has a used Yukon xl. The Altima will probably last another 150k but it will feel like a straight jacket once loaded down with 3 whiny kids, a stressed out wife, and a diaper bag. Do nothing until after the baby is born. Let her drive her car hauling the car seat, and stroller, and pack n play, and diaper bag, and groceries, then see where everything sits. Personally I got an old one owner Honda Odyssey as a third car that I really really really wanted to hate but I can't. The kids can trash it, don't care. Shopping carts can bash into it, don't care. I have had zero problems with it and paid next to nothing for it. But I need my truck too...

#27 ·
This is why I brought up the warranty thing. The boss and I have been discussing vehicles recently trying to decide if she is going to keep her sable or get something more reliable. She doesn't want a car payment but I keep pointing out the cost of keeping a higher millage vehicle on the road. If you have a warranty many times the payments are less of a financial impact than you may realize.

This is the reason trading a new truck in for a used sports car makes no sense to me. That and considering the kids, having a crew cab truck is a lot more useful than a 2 seat car.

#29 ·
Not to intrude here, but I always wonder this, and this seems like the right place to ask. Why do folks drive $50k+ trucks who live on the edge of a couple hundred dollars a month making or breaking their financial situation?
I never understand how people spend to the absolute end of their income.

#30 ·
lots of people are paycheck to paycheck and spend more than they should on things they shouldn't

it is the American way ( IMO )

the OP asked a question and got a plethora of answers if we didn't care about him he would have O replies but that's not the case here
and some people don't sugar coat their opinions
but at the end of the day if He buys the Vette i still want to see pics and likely no one won't bag on him for it

#32 ·
Its a shame. We chastise our country( politicians ) for over spending and borrowing and then a lot of Americans turn around and do the very thing they are against. We all have to learn. If your parents did it you are more likely to do it. The key is to learn after the first or second time you run yourself to that $0.00 amount left over each month that maybe its time for change. I know it took me two tries and my wife just finally learned when i kept saying " nope we can't go on vacation, you maxed out 4 credit cards " finally after 10 years we both get it and live a decent life. I recommend everyone on this forum look up Dave Ramsey and follow his financial guidance and go the his classes for a month. It will change your life.

If i could analyze the OP situation i would probably recommend a total change. Because here is the key. The truck to car or whatever is not where the problem lies. If $200-400 a month is a LIFE changer in your monthly budget then there are major problems somewhere else.

#35 · (Edited)
Vette later, Excursion now. Supe up a v10 X or play with a 7.3 or 6.0 one. They're getting harder to come by in good shape...

In all reality a good Tahoe or expedition may be the ticket.

I second Dave Ramsey, his course is very good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.