Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

First oil change

5K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  johnnybgood 
#1 · (Edited)
My truck only has about 60 miles on it so far. Was wondering when you guys did your first oil change. My experience is with gas motors only, and some gas motor builders suggest doing an initial change at 50-100 miles to get manufacturing junk out, then another at 500 or so, then graduate to the typical recommended change intervals. I think I have read on here a lot of guys change oil in the 5K-7.5K range, depending on how hard they run their truck.

So I'm wondering what you guys have done with these 6.7 diesels.

I am prob gonna run 5-40 T6 synthetic. I know Powerstrokehelp.com uses the Rotella synthetic, which I believe is readily available at Walmart. I'll prob go with that unless there is something objectively better that you guys run.

One other thing - It seems like the Archoil additive is a good thing to run - any reason I can't start using that right away?

Thanks

#2 ·
I would wait to use friction modifiers until after the first oil change. All the rings and such need to set. I think the owners manual alludes to the same thing.
Go spend a rainy night and study the diesel supplemental guide. Godspeed!

#3 ·
Wait 5,000 miles before your first change... change to T6 and follow the OLM from that point on. No need to change it so soon, that's what an oil filter is for.

#4 ·
Anywhere between 3k and 5k is generally what most people seem to follow. Then drop in a good synthetic and follow your maintenance schedule :thumb:

#5 ·
I'm going for 5k as well...

#6 ·
On my 16 I Did mine at 3k. My rational was I deleted at 5 hundred miles and I had a big trip coming up so I didn't want to push it with the original oil in the pan.

I'm not an expert but I think between the 3 and 5k range is a safe bet.

I love that these trucks have 13 quarter oil parameters (vs the super inconvenient 15 quarts in my 6.4). I buy 3 jugs of t6 and 1 quart of Lucas synthetic. Peace of mind and the quart of Lucas is near in price to a quart t6.

Lots of folks have differing opinions on oil but it's sort of a to each his own on that one. Change it regularly and your filter with some good synthetic and your motor should be happy with you.

Hope that helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#32 ·
I love that these trucks have 13 quarter oil parameters (vs the super inconvenient 15 quarts in my 6.4). I buy 3 jugs of t6 and 1 quart of Lucas synthetic. Peace of mind and the quart of Lucas is near in price to a quart t6.
I love that my truck has the 15 Qt oil parameters (vs the super inconvenient 13 quarts in a 6.7). I buy 3 jugs of motorcraft oil and dump it all in. 13qts would mess me all up. I'm not a mathematician. It'd be like Lethal Weapon with the water jugs...

Dealer wants a fortune for the Motorcraft stuff, plus a LOT of knowledgable people like the T6.
Check Walmart. They're under $18 a jug here. Not sure over there though.

#7 · (Edited)
5,000 minimum and no friction modifiers until after the oil change. I am using AR9100 since that first change as I was starting an 11,000 mile towing trip. 24,000 on the truck now.
I've been using Opti-Lube Summer Plus since the first fill up as well.
http://www.dieselfuellube.com/order2.html

#9 ·
Save yourself some future headaches and get a fumoto valve so you don't have the mess each time you change. When you take the plug out be ready for the high flow of oil that shoots very far. I changed mine at 800 miles and used synthetic every since changing at 6000 miles now.

#10 ·
oh the old oil debate...

#12 ·
I did mine at 1900 only because I had a 5000 mile trip and I didn't want to get the change oil now message on the trip. Changed again at just over 9000 and added Archoil at that time. No tick and truck runs smooth as glass.

#15 ·
also if you want to start monitor how your trucks life is going, Now is a good time to take a sample and send it off to Blackstone. You can do all of them from here on out and get a good feel for the motors life.

Blackstone Labs The test kit is free to get. Just cost to run the test. Not to bad really.

#17 ·
Honestly the most logical advice posted to your response yet. When I got my tuned monster of a 6.4 just how I wanted it I said I would never buy another truck.

I'm now posting in this forum...

Food for thought...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#18 · (Edited)
Good advice, thanks guys. I will prob do first change around 5K, and toss in the Archoil at that time. I wouldn't mind running the summer Opti, but I can't get it in Hawaii - no dealer here, and companies won't ship it here due to the hazmat issues. Another one of the wonderful benefits to living in "paradise".
I did manage to get some Archoil fuel treatment, so I will run that currently. I'm still gonna go with the Rotella T6 oil though. Dealer wants a fortune for the Motorcraft stuff, plus a LOT of knowledgable people like the T6.

On those FUMOTO drain valves - doesn't our trucks have a plastic 1/4 turn drain plug going into a plastic oil pan? Are these Fumoto drain plugs compatible?

Thanks again everyone

#20 ·
Ah OK, I hadn't even looked - just had watched a video on here. Those drain plugs look really nice - I especially like the version with the 90 degree elbow you can point straight down - should make changes a breeze.

thanks again

#25 ·
I like the chevron delo Synthetic 5w 40 (i think). Can get it at Sames for $20.50 Gal
. I switched from rotella T6 and it was nite and day different. The truck idles more smoothly and It starts from cold below freezing with ease. Before the truck would rock hard on a start in cold. with the Delo it doesn't. I'm sold on the oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.