Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

AC Repair & Costs

6K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  HLBeef 
#1 ·
Had my AC fail on my 2012 on a road trip home last September. Haven't bothered to fix it since we've gone into winter, but it's February and were already having hot weather and I need to get it done soon.
Driving home from the destination I noticed that the ac kept cycling and getting warmer and warmer. Over the next 15 miles, it blew steady hot and wouldn't engage the compressor. Funny thing is, I hadn't hit anything, and the day before it ran perfect..ice cold as always. Always run it in max AC.

I seen a few people in different threads saying it was their evaporator that failed. Could mine have just spontaneously failed too? What am I looking at, cost wise? Should I just take it into ford already, or let my local diesel shop (who I trust) take care of it? It's way out of warranty. Has your AC failed at all? Hopefully someone will chime in here.

Thanks

#4 ·
is it hot on both sides or just Driver?

#5 ·
No it's not a blend door issue, the system lost its charge overnight pretty much and I can't find any leaks anywhere, so that leads me to believe it's probably the evaporator. I'm pretty savvy with HVAC but I don't want to screw with replacing the evaporator. Let it be someone else's headache.

#6 ·
i can pull almost all the tech manuals, part #s and average cost and labor hours for all of this if you need.

attached is the evap

Attachments

#9 ·
Ill work on some stuff when i get the chance to pull up more info for you. I spoke with a buddy of mine at a dealer near by whom has newer info than me. He said the part can vary per truck and new releases. The number i listed was for 2010-early 2012 built late 2011. Ill see if i can get newer #s .

Also, for the labor he said depending on where you take it and how well you can negotiate he has seen this job done for 8 hrs. Good luck!

#10 ·
Thank you sir. My truck was built February of 12 so. Thanks again for the help.

#11 ·
Have you taken it in and had them at-least diagnose it yet? usually about a $100 to $150
fee but well worth it, Might find it is something simple and cheap.

#12 ·
hope this helps

Attachments

Reactions: s8v4o
#13 ·
Haven't had it diagnosed yet didn't want to pay the diag fee just yet and I just haven't had a week where I could give the truck up yet. It's stock show season down here and we're moving cattle every week or so, so it's been needed. I'll get it in in the next few weeks and see what they say. Thank you VERY much for the diagrams!!

#14 ·
I know the a/c in my 11' would freeze up on long road trips ( 5+ hours ) during hot summer wAeather. After thawing out overnight, it would go back to working just fine

#15 ·
That's what I'm wondering if this is why this is happening, the AC freezes up in hot weather on a lower speed or due to undercharged system, and repeated freeze ups cause something to crack. Either way makes me kinda mad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.