Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Question about the 2017s

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  RJC2 
#1 ·
Will the new 2017s be pretty comparable electronics and engine wise to the 2016s? I have never bought a brand new truck and am kind of skeptical, I don't want anything to be screwy or buggy.

I am ready to pull the trigger on a new truck and would like to wait for the 2017 to come out instead of getting a 2016. Just want to have a good first brand new truck experience. Thanks guys.

#2 ·
Nobody probably knows anything more about the 2017 Superduty then what's already of the Ford website. Speculation is that the 6.7 PSD will have more power, but nobody knows the numbers yet. Wait and see.

#6 ·
The 2017 Superduty will be all new from the wheels up. It may take Ford a model year or two to work out all the bugs. This is common for all vehicle manufactures introducing a new or redesigned vehicle.

#8 · (Edited)
Kind of but not really. The powetrain will be pretty much the same as the 15+16. The body will be pretty much the same as the F150 with a couple years under its belt.

I go back to what my junk ya...used auto parts owner friend said about vehicles for the last 15 or so years, and that is that most of the problems are in the electrical system/electronics in the form of glitches - very hard to reproduce and even harder to find and fix.

Most all of the components and systems on the new model are already proven in other vehicles BUT until they are all mated together and tried out there can be unforeseen problems.

That is why I would wait until 2019 if I wanted the new style.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 2017 will be relatively trouble free for an 'all new' model and would consider one if a had to but my first choice would be to wait if it was an option.

#9 ·
Look at Ford's past recent models that came out.

The 2009 F150 was heavily revised, but new engines (ecoboost, 5.0L and 6.2L) didn't come out till 2011.

The 2015 was a further evolution, still with two proven powertrains, (3.5L Ecoboost and 5.0L) and two new to the F150 (3.5L Base V6 and 2.7L Ecoboost).

The mustang did the same thing. 2010 came online with the old powertrains, then 2011 got the new stuff.

This "soft launch" approach has been better, for Ford, continual product improvements (the improved larger abliet uglier nav, Sync 3, 2015 powertrain upgrades etc) to keep things fresh, which is why the 2017 uses the F150 Cab and same 2016 powertrains; proven and relatively problem free.

#10 ·
Get a 17 for sure. May be a few quirks, sure , but it's running the 6.7 again so I am not worried. Sure as hell wouldn't buy a 16 that uses the same cab as the 99. I owned a 99, an 01, and in a current 06. Wanted a new truck since about 09 but refused to buy a truck until ford modernized the body. I will probably get a 17, but if my 06 runs without hiccup and may run it till longer. If you buy a 16 you'll take the biggest depreciation hit in history as soon as you drive it off the lot. Now you go to sell it a week later and you'll need to include "OBS" (old body style) in title. You've seen that in ads for the 90s trucks right? That's about to the term for the 99-16 group. Ford milked that outdated body for a decade too long, new trucks can't come soon enough.

#13 ·
LMAO... what a bunch of crap this is.. So a tried and true body/frame is a bad thing? I guess Ford's sales of over 700,000 F-series is a bad thing.. Just because you don't like the current style doesn't mean others don't.

Biggest depreciation in history??

Let's not forget that the 17 model is going to have a significant price increase (higher trims) over the 16 model. Let's also not forget that the 17s will not have the rebates the 16s have when they launch. You will be seeing a $6,000-$8,000 price increase between the two model years.

And what about the people who can't stand the 2017 look?? I guess they are just crazy to even consider a 2016 because of the "old body style" then.

Reactions: texaslimeaide
#11 ·
The 17 isn't all new from the ground up. Much of the cab/body changes have been implemented in the F150.

I'm betting that the drive train remains relatively untouched other than a little more power in the tuning.

Ford isn't stupid. They're not going to completely revise every component of their flagship truck if they can avoid it

#12 ·
I'm really trying to talk myself into a half ton but the 2017 F250 sure looks good to me. Just a little worried about fuel economy when empty (75% of the time). My last F250 an '08 was lucky to get 14mpg even with a Spartan tuner. My Ram is 17 all around and 20 highway empty. I sure hope the F250 would at least equal it. If I end up with a half ton, I'm not sure if the Ecoboost or the 5.0l would be my choice.

#14 ·
If you really think that you don't need a SD then why don't you consider the F150 when the smaller diesel becomes available? The ecoboost is one hell of a motor and suits the F150 very well.

#16 ·
As long as Ford puts that new 10 speed in the SD, fuel economy should be very nice with the diesel. I mean you won't see the numbers that the Eco-diesel gets, because the 3/4 & 1 tons still have a lot more weight, but there should be a good increase over the current models.

One thing I hope Ford doesn't do, is release the 2017 SD with the current power and then up it a couple months later like they did with the 11's.

#18 ·
I am sitting without a truck for the first time since the 90's and wanna new truck but am in the same situation...wait or buy a 16.
the new F150 has grown on me but I dont like the GM/RAM way of all trucks sharing the same body. I like that my truck looks like a SuperDuty truck and not just a taller half ton. Who knows, Ive got some calls into a few dealers and if they hit the price I want I will be coming home with a 16 this weekend.

#19 ·
I like my 11, but that 17 with less weight is great and better MPG.
I for one though and tired of the power race. I think 400/800 was fine then they bumped it again. Heck i would be fine if they went back again like the chassis cabs so they last even longer.
Next, i would like to see them focus more on MPG.
Third would be either a better exhaust to treat the EPA crap or a new fuel like the E-Diesel that would eliminate all the stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I love all the power, but it comes to a point as to why?

I remember when i pulled far more with far less motor, yes it took longer to climb that hill or get on the freeway, Still had no problem.

Heck, i rather they invest all that time into new neat gadgets. I would like a HUD!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.