Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What is the best diesel fuel additive

79K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  calewjohnson 
#1 ·
Hello all I am new to the diesels and fords for that matterI would like to know what the best fuel additive is for my truck it is a 2011 6.7 power stroke any help would be greatly appreciated thank you very much

#5 ·
I use Motorcraft Cetane booster as well. Buy the bottle then the gallon and refill the bottle to keep in the truck. And I always buy it from the dealer I use so there's a record. Our Diesel is only 40 down here and these require 45 so it has to be used 4oz every single tank...

#6 ·
Ok thanks for the responses I have the truck for about 4 months now and I love it so far it's been to the dealership once for the egr cooler it thre the p0401 code and they replace it when I bou it I took the platinum warranty out on it just incase any major problems came up I have a s&b cai on it now just until my warranty runs out. I have 15k until then but I just got a sct x4 competition turner and the sinister egr delete does anyone have any experience with these products?

#8 ·
I mainly use the Opti-Lube and have since 2007 when it did so well in the comparison test. But that is 8 years ago and I'm sure other brands have improved since then.

But it has worked well in my last three trucks

#10 ·
Optilube XPD (winter) and Optilube Summer

#11 ·
I like the Opti-Lube products. Their XPD product did really well in that test that was release a few years back. I also like that with a few clicks of the mouse I can get a gallon jug with a pump and two dispensing containers delivered to my doorstep. You can get $4.95 flat rate shipping at Diesel Fuel Lube - Sale on Gallons of Optilube

I'll also mention that at 30,000 miles I did my first fuel/water separator drain and fuel filter change. I didn't notice any water and the frame mounted filter looked brand new. This may be due to either good quality fuel at the station I use or the additive doing it's job or mostly likely a combination of both. Using an additive is cheap insurance if you ask me.

There is some overlap in the Opti-Lube products. They all basically include the enhanced lubricity, improved water separation and a number of other benefits. Here's my rundown of the rates. (They’ve recently added a very informative chart on their website highlighting the strengths of each product.)

Summer+ - Adds 5-7 cetane points. 1:1500 recommended.
Boost! - Adds 7-9 cetane points. 1:1500 recommended.
XPD - Adds 3+ cetane points and antigel. 1:512 summer and 1:256 winter.

Based on the treatment rate the XPD is a much more expensive product.

I contacted Opti-Lube and few things to note from the conversation are:

1. While Boost! adds quite a bit of cetane it does this by lowering the amount of lubricity additive in the chemical package.

2. The main reason for the high treatment rate of the XPD product is to get the required amount of the anti-gel chemical into the fuel.

With the winter blend fuel and moderate winter temperatures here in Michigan I'm going to run Summer+ all year long and keep my half jug of XPD for when the temperatures drop below zero. I've got friends NOT using an additive and they've never had gelling issues so crossing my fingers :)

#12 ·
I use Stanadyne...they have become more readily available...Autozone, Advance Auto, etc... I have used it since my LLY Duramax, never any problems.

I tried Opti-Lube for a while, too hard to get, as I usually buy additive when I am getting ready to fuel.

Just remember, whatever you do use, make sure it DOES NOT HAVE ALCOHOL!!!!

Cale

#15 ·
I have used Stanadyne since 1995. Has been great except once last winter. At 10 below fuel gelled. Towed into a Ford dealer in Plattsburgh who took great care of me. Still use the Stanadyne most of the year, but in real cold weather I use the Ford antigel. I have thought about the Optilube, has great reviews.

#16 ·
JetJock 15,

Nice pics of the lifted truck with a RV. How high is the lift and what size tires you running? did you have to lift the RV?

#23 ·
My truck is 8" on 37s, the trailer has the springs relocated from below to above axles, raising it 4-5 inches.

My phone just switched over to new forum layout, now I can't see anybody's signatures or pics? Is that the new deal or am I doing something wrong? I found the "full version" button but doesn't seem to change anything. Guess I was surprised you could see my pics, I didn't even know they were still there. I used to have some sarcastic notes about Archoil too, I can't see those either, figured that stuff wasn't there.

#17 ·
'12 ccdrw 4x4 all stock I got 15.5 mpg and regen every 300 or so as per cts. I tried the diesel kleen grey with poor results, lower economy and more frequent regens (every 150 miles), this stuff at double strength combined with tcw3 was unbeatable on me 7.3's and my 6.0. Then I tried the archoil ar6200 and ar9100 and picked up about 1 mpg and my regens where about every 450ish.
But the arch oil is hard to get and pricy up front so I stopped using it and my mpg's dropped to 13 so i'm back on the arch oil doing the double dose for the first 3 tanks (almost done with my second tank now) and with backroad driving 120 miles a day she's up to 15mpg regens every 439mi.
Every additive is stinky and it sucks to have some spill in your drivers door compartment, in the dead of winter. Archoil smells like still steamin' doe in heat. Or to have a quart of diesel kleen bleed out in your tool box and set for a week before you find it... So whatever you get make sure it lives in a Ziploc freezer bag and the yellow and blue has positively identified a green seal:)

#19 ·
I've run Opti-Lube Summer from the first fill up, so I never compared to not using it, but the 2007 study rated it at the top for lubricity and a 2009 study rated it at the top for fuel mileage. I now combine Opti-Lube at minimum dose with AR6200 at normal dose as I get the best results that way.

#18 ·
Oh I should also note the 13 mpg is on winter fuel from the fuel depot and the 17.5 mpg was on summer "premium diesel" from Meijer after 3 tanks of archoil driving flat roads.

#22 ·
Stanadyne FTW!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.