Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Add DPF % Full to Blank Screen

23K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  brucefreeman@msn.com 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Or anyone with a VCM-II (clone or authentic) can add it if they have the correct rev of IDS.

I am the one who posted the method to add this screen on this site.

Disclaimer - It appears to have no effects to the operation of the truck. Should you make this change, it is of your own free will.

#4 ·
Can the dealer do this If I brought the steps to them?

#5 ·
Do not think you can get them on eBay any more. I ordered the wifi model but if I were to do it again would get the non-wifi model. I got mine from this link (non-wifi)

Search Result: vcm

updates to IDS software are available online.

I used an old laptop I had laying around with a 256gb hard drive split into 2 drives of 120gb each (C: and D: ).

#7 ·
No not worth it...but I dont have a way to do it or do I know anyone that can.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Larry, saw in your FTE post that you have V98.01 of the IDS software, will the V97 on this tool in your link be new enough then? and where do you find the IDS updates every year?? How much are they too lol if they're 700$ annually then I'm out of this game haha

#12 · (Edited)
Yea where do we get updates from, you can PM if you want if it has to be on the DL.

Anyway, this looks hilarious/awesome. Looks like some guys in China made some virtual machines (VM), put it on CD, selling the plastic interface and you load the VM which has the IDS software and then you can program and diagnose like a ford dealer. Wish I knew it was this easy earlier.

I think I am going to bite once I find out how to update new versions. On ebay it looks like they have V95, 96, 97, etc. (I didnt see v98 so I concur with the post above). If I have to spend $100 each time a new update comes out that wont work but if I can get updates and use this tool, then I am golden.

Thanks again Larry.

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/wds/diagnosticsites/vcmdvd/mcs/idssoftware.asp

Not sure if you have to have a serial number or not...

#13 ·
No serial number required to download the IDS.

Here are the steps to load a laptop which I have over simplified.

Have a laptop with a valid operating system such as Win7 or XP, 4gb memory and at least a 256gb disk. Create a virtual machine by installing WMware. Create an XP operating system inside the virtual machine. (VMware and XP are included with the installation software.) Alter the way the virtal machine loads XP with the same system date each time (this prevents having to change the system date with each use). Load the v86 calibration files. Load the complete v96 IDS (provided with VCM). Download the complete v97 or maybe the complete v98 IDS. Update the VCM-2 firmware to use v97 or v98 (Ford requires this step on their VCM-2's). If load is satisfactory, then you should not have any problems with using the IDS each time.

the video is here....it took a few tries to get it right but does work....mine has been working for a couple months now with no problems

Ford 96 VCM II VMware

Reactions: JetExpress_6.7
#29 · (Edited)
So my VM's wont save changes. I tried to update the software, removing it, adding it, adding files, etc, etc. and it just keeps going right back to where it started, like a snap shot. This is obviously a problem because if I try to update to 98.01, it just goes back to 97.02. The files are not read only and I check the VMX file and there isnt anything that I see that would be causing this.

So I found out why it does this and unfortunately to update the VM, one must purchase an updated VM CD.

#15 ·
Yes to the date via VM allowing it to stay trial.

They send the v86 calibration files and the v96 with the purchase.

The v97 and/or v98 is downloaded from the ford ids site shown above. Appears you can only get the v98 now.

#16 ·
I did this to my 15 with my IDS at the shop. Under Module Programming > Programmable Parameters > Personality > Forced Regeneration Request > Enable

Not sure what it does other than pull up the DPF load in the instrument clusters gauge mode.

#18 ·
Granted it is not a real time measurement but it might give some a sense of security instead of panicking over regen problems.

To anyone who might have a programmer or monitor such as the Edge products it probably won't add anything.

To the ones who don't have one of these products, it can give them an indication or approximation of when a regen might occur. It sure beats wondering if you are about to miss or see the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message.

#17 ·
Just to show off a little...and to let the guys know with the basic screen (not the productivity display) can have it too!! Got my VCM II tool this week and was able to set it up on my laptop last night. TPMS adjusted, remote start enabled, keys programmed, and DPF screen added! It was a productive evening.

Special thanks to Larry for pointing us in the right direction!

Attachments

Reactions: Larry1013
#20 ·
I just had my truck into the dealership for an Egr replacement and turbo water fitting leak. I had the tech enable that screen , on the way home the exhaust filter was 95% full and then listed full. After the truck warmed up it still did not automatically go into regen. I was able to to the forced regen once i stopped driving and parked it. It was able to do this from that screen and using the ok button. Truck automatically revved up to 2000 then a little higher then the regen took place , took about 15 min and burned the dpf out , Lots of heat ! , i exited out of the regen with the arrow button after i was getting worried that it wouldnt stop on its own , at that point the exhaust filter showed 0%. Pretty cool

Will the truck still go into an automatic passive regen while driving with this setting enabled ?

Reactions: TaxmanHog
#23 ·
Yes it should. Mine hit FULL then a few miles later I got the typical "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message. After it regen'd for about 25 miles I had dropped down to 20%

Edit - Just for clarification. Passive regen is when the truck has enough load to regenerate the exhaust without the engine adding additional heat. An Active regen is what you see when you get the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message. Passive regen can happen when towing heavy.

#21 ·
Is your truck an XL or XLT?

I would think it should have no affect on normal operation.

#24 ·
Had a abnormal experience with this just tonight. I wasn't on the % screen at the time but I know it wasn't at 100% (just checked it a minute before at 75%). By luck I happened to look down and see the notification that it was cleaning, flipped back to % screen, still 75%. It worked its way down and eventually reached 0% where I assume it quit. At the moment it triggered, was under moderate acceleration from a stop sign and it seemed to have a louder engine noise (typerwriter noise and almost like no pilot injection) than usual.

Not sure what to make of it other than maybe the quicker-than-my-usual accel caused a little extra pressure to trigger it? From the sounds of it tho 0% isn't really usual either...

#25 · (Edited)
How many miles are on your truck? The reason I ask is on my 2015 with 32,000 miles, the DPF % Full on the dash screen will never clean down below 35%. My theory is it may be reading the residual ash in the filter. My tech did not indicate Ford gave any information on why it would not clean down below 35%

#27 ·
The % Full screen is not "live" data.

Accept the screen for what it is, an indicator to let you know if regen is about to occur or happening or if it might be close to finishing. It is not "real time" "live" data but massaged (dampened) data from the ECM.

Reactions: JetExpress_6.7
#28 ·
Mine went in tonight at 95%. The 2 times previous to this it went in a few miles after "FULL" Also instead of doing a full regen, which usually lasts 20-25 miles, this one only went 16 miles. It only dropped the filter to 45%.

What I did notice though is that it went in at exactly 500 miles since the previous regen ended. I keep track of my regen distances and distance between regens via the tripometer. Usually I'm regening between 320-450 miles, the difference now is that the ambient temps have been much colder since the last regen. I'm wondering if that is a factor

My truck has a little over 11k miles on it now.

#33 ·
does anyone know if this will work on the 2011? this is a much cheaper option than going with an Edge.

#34 ·
It should work on any of the 6.7 trucks...maybe even the 6.4s

Is that all you were buying an edge for tho? They monitor so much more than that, I wouldn't count its value only on one feature

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.