Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Engine life with aftermarket/performance parts

838 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BigGreen06 
#1 ·
I've had my 2012 PSD for about 6 months now and love the truck. I use it as a dd and also to pull my trailer on camping trips. It's got all the creature comforts I could want and suits my family well. I want this truck to last me another 10 years at least.

I want to do some upgrades to it that will help with fuel economy, but nothing major. The ones I would do right away would be a cold air intake (likely aFe or No Limit) and an exhaust w/o muffler. No plans to do any deletes in the near future. From the research I've done these upgrades are fairly cheap while offering some gains.

Would these 2 simple upgrades in any way contribute to my engine life, either positively or negatively? Or, with truck life being the most important factor, would keeping it stock be the best route?

#2 ·
it is all up to your right foot. If you put an intake and exhaust in the truck and drive it the same identical way you do now it will mot affect the life of your truck one but IMO. But it also will not gain you and noticeable difference in fuel mileage i dont believe. It all depends how you drive.

#3 ·
I gained a few MPG when I deleted my truck. I would want to think that your helping the longevity of the engine by deleting the emission related components so your truck is breathing fresh air instead of inhaling what is just burnt... Unless your going to be on the high hp tune and running around full throttle and doing brake stands your going to do nothing but help your engine...

#4 ·
You won't gain any mpg's without deleting the truck. You may get a bit more HP and ft/lbs but that's it. The big *** filter is still blocking up the exhaust from flowing free

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.