Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Possible purchase: Engine hour concerns

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  dieseldesi 
#1 ·
I am looking at a 2011 with 125,000 miles on it, total engine hours are at 3871 with 795 of those at idle. Should I be concerned about the hours with this mileage? I will have the oasis report from the dealer tomorrow for further information on the truck. It does appear to be very well taken care of inside and out though. The last diesel I had was a 6.0 and I know the hours vs mileage were a concern on those motors. Thank you in advance for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Thats interesting about the ignition. If the 795 is actual run time and not partially with just the ignition on should I be concerned? Thanks again.

#5 ·
What part of the world do you live in? I'm in Alberta Canada and use my truck as a DD, and in the winters some times that means letting it warm up 10-15 minutes just to drive 30 minutes. But that's with the remote starter - no key in the ignition. Not sure if the hour counts are accumulating then.

#6 ·
I'm in Houston,TX. The truck has also spent all of its life in the area. Not too many cold days here though. But the warm up time does make sense. Appreciate the response. What are others miles and hours at? Thanks again.

#7 ·
I currently have a 2011 with 74k miles. 3300 hrs and 1300 idle. I idle a lot for work using high idle mod at 1200 rpm. Have had really no problems with the truck and it runs great! 1 egr replacement under warranty. Other than that I stick to regular maintainence, 5k/10k oil change and fuel filters respectively. Have had all oil and filters done a dealer "quick lane" and I'm sure they've been using 15w-40 oil. I'm now switching over to doing my own oil changes and fuel filters and will be going with ford recommended 5w-40 for 'severe service'. From reading the forum will probably use Rotella T6.

#9 ·
I've got 40000 miles on my truck and have 2600 running and 1300 idle hours so thats pretty good haha.

#11 ·
Sounds good, I appreciate all the feedback guys. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one. The only thing on the oasis was an EGT sensor 10,000 miles ago. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.