Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Auto Hub ?'s

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  HeavyAssault 
#1 ·
I've been experiencing a little binding/noise when I'm turning my 2012 F-350 dually. It's not enough to to feel anything in the steering wheel just a noise. I first assumed that the auto hubs are sticking and may need cleaned.. All though I dont use this truck much (20,000 miles) I find it odd that they would be gummed up,but who knows? The hubs will turn from Auto to Manuel very easy and with the window down I can hear the slight engaging noise the hubs make when kicking it into 4X4. Could one or both be engaging in and out just maybe not the whole way?
Is there anything else I need to check or I can test before I take the hubs out? Could it be something other then the hubs?
What is the best kind of grease to use? I've heard that too thick of a grease could cause issues.
Is there anything different about the dually hubs?
I know some will recommend manual hubs but for now I want to keep them. I just like the convenience. :grin:
Thanks for your time!!

#8 ·
Jack up the front of the truck. On each side make sure the hubs are in AUTO. Spin the wheel on one side. Watch the axle shafts, front driveshaft and the other wheel. IF they are turning then your hubs are engaged somehow. Try rotating the hubs from AUTO to LOCK, then spin the wheel. Rotate the hub back to AUTO. Spin the wheel in the reverse direction.

Basically you are testing the mechanical operation of the hubs. Normal operation should see NO driveshaft rotation when in AUTO for either side. In LOCK the axle shaft and drive shaft WILL rotate with the side you are testing but not the opposite side wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.