Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Trading UP to Lariat or Platinum

5K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Fossilfuels 
#1 ·
Hoping you guys can help decifer my decision making here

Have the opportunity from my dealer, being all our good used trucks from the North are being scooped up by our neighbours to the south, to trade mine in on a new one..

I currently have a 2014 F250 6.7 Lariat crew cab, with a little over 21000 miles on it and thinking I'll stay with the new diesel, Just not sure the differences between the Lariat and the Platinums..

Ford Canada website looks like quite a substantial price increase for the Platinum, but wondering the real differences and is it worth it..

Whoever gets my super duty will be getting a beauty, shes been well taken care of and not had the guts pulled outa it..

Appreciate all replies..

#2 ·
Platinum has the heated steering wheel and better seats. Seats are better foam and leather. Other than that I don't know that there is anything that you can't get on the Lariat that you get on the Platinum.

For me I went Platinum because I wanted the better seats for long days pulling our trailer.

#3 · (Edited)
After driving gm trucks most of my adult life before buying my first F series in 2010, first test drive sold me on Fords comfort. I honestly can't imagine more cushy seats than current Lariat but makes sense Platinum being upgraded.

I always liked the look of the super duties and 2016 being the last year before major changes to 2017 models, I'm thinking I'm going to grab one before their gone. Just not sure what model. Think someone mentioned it was like a 16-17K jump to platinum from Lariat. Canadian dollars that is.

#4 ·
Besides the heated steering wheel and better leather. You get the Platinum wheels, a different grill and the panel on the tail gate. Most of which I didn't care about.

I ordered the Lariat with the cheapest wheels/tires I could and drove immediately to tire shop and swapped on Wheels and tires that I preferred.

It would be a shame to spend that extra cost of a Platinum and then remove one of the major expenses ( wheels) and replace them with after market. So decide if the stuff that the platinum offers is stuff that you will leave on the truck. I don't think the upgraded leather seats alone is worth the cost. The steering wheel and upgraded leather are about the only parts of a platinum that I'd want

#5 ·
The only part of the platinum I want is the grill bars, beside those 2 pieces, the rest of the package was either gonna get changed out or wasn't worth the upgrade, besides, I couldn't get a platinum in the color I wanted anyway.

#6 ·
A fully loaded lariat is more expensive than a platinum. The leather in the platinum is junk if you are using it for work though.

#7 ·
I actually prefer the grille in the standard super duty over the Platinum but hey that's just me. Regarding factory rims, with the winter weather and excessive amount of corrosive road salt on our roads, still nice to have the 18" wheels for winter time then a nice set of summer tire and wheel combo.

The 4.5" lift I have in my current Lariat sitting on factory spoked 18" and 35" Toyo open country ATII Looks decent for factory wheels.

I just might look into an FX4 package with the Lariat and transfer my lift under new truck then go 22x35 for summer months.

So the FX4 package just means painted bumpers and skid plates ?? Kinda nice if I don't have to worry about the chrome bumpers rusting.

Is the FX4 much of an extra cost I wonder. Still likely end up a lot cheaper than going to the platinum. Current truck is tuxedo blsck and might go to either metallic white or even one of the greys. I feel the grey is pretty classy looking but white with black accents and wheels looks pretty nasty too. I just can't gel eith black wheels on black truck. Chrome wheels on black to me looks the best

#8 ·
I'm pretty sure the FX4 package is only like $295 from the factory. I know it adds the skid plates and "Rancho" shocks, but I don't think it adds painted bumpers. The platinum package is a pretty hefty add on price. I can't temember what it costs exactly but I I believe it's around $3-5k extra. Also, as far as colors, if you get the triple white it is an additional $595. Now all of this is MSRP pricing so go ahead and beat your dealer up on the price of the truck and get them to throw in additional accessories with the sale too. I know I did.

Reactions: seadog
#9 ·
platinum or King Ranch are the only trucks you get color matched bumpers all others are chrome

#10 ·
Is this something that's recently changed, because I'm sure I've seen of trucks up here with FX4 and painted bumpers in XLTs

#11 ·
XL has black grills and black bumper.

XLT can have the chrome package added to get the chrome grill and chrome bumpers otherwise they are black like the XL

#14 ·
dud keep you lariat!!!!! take it to a body shop and have them put an extra layer of foam in the seats and a heated steering wheel and you ll have a platinum. Don't screw yourself over like that. the 14 is a badass truck. you have the advantage of the H&S programmer, the turbo screams after being deleted and the list goes on............ if heres nothing wrong with your truck WHY trade. i wish i had my 13 back. i had it perfect before i traded it for a 15 F150 and regretted it and turned around 2 months later and traded it for a 16 250

#17 ·
shush!!! ...................lol

#18 ·
What drove me away from the platinum when I ordered mine was the unavailability of a front bench seat. You feel kind of silly when you have to take a little car because you can fit that 6th person into your truck that is the size of a small house. Unless they changed the options in the 2016's, I thought the heated steering was only available on the KR and the only difference in the seats between the lariat and platinum was the stitched platinum emblem on the back of the seat. The KR's had the upgraded leather.

#19 ·
The platinum is the only truck with a heated wheel, I would not buy a truck without the flow through console. The platinum has higher grade leather and better foam. The King Ranch leather in these trucks doesn't seem to hold up very well at all.

#20 ·
Im gonna drop this in here, dang yall be spoiled, heated steering wheels????? More padding in seats?????? WOW....i miss the days of a junk bench seat and no power steering..hehehehe

#21 ·
LOL... I hear ya but when you spend 36 hours straight in the truck plowing when it is 0 degrees outside and you have to get out every 5 minutes to bang the ice off the wipers from all the snow drifts... that damn heating steering wheel feels DAMN nice and my *** thanks my seat each and every time for being so soft and comfortable.

#24 ·
Mine doesn't heat up.. only heats up when it is around 38-40 and colder.

#27 ·
The leather in a 2015-16 King Ranch is not the old saddle type leather used in previous model years, Someone please refer me to a Ford site that states the Platinum seats has better foam under the leather, I'm not finding that anywhere other than some salesman at the ford dealer trying to sell the truck to me,, Please

#28 ·
You won't find it in literature and frankly I don't know why they don'don't but it does indeed have different leather/foam. If you sit in them both, you can easily tell the difference.

It has been confirmed by people I know within Ford as well.

#31 ·
That part # retails for $22.. there is no way that is the cushion/foam. I did fine these part numbers

Pad - Seat Cushion $184.05
Part #: BC3Z28632A22A

PAD - SEAT CUSHION $245.52
Part #: BC3Z25632A23B

PAD $229.42
Part #: BC3Z25632A22B

So clearly there are differences within the seat cushion/foam (this is not the leather but the cushion within the seat) between trims. Unfortunately it doesn't differentiate which is which. I assume the $184 is the XL/XLT/Lariat trim.. Then there are two more.. one for KR and one for Platinum?? Ones guess is as good as mine but at least this confirms that there are differences. All of these were for a 2015.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.