Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

which shocks 2.0 or 5100

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  IronCobra 
#1 ·
wondering what shocks o get for my truck which is just leveled ! looking at the fox 2.0 o rthe 5100s ! maybe the fox 2.0 resi for the front and reg 2.0 for rear what u guys thinkl

#2 ·
I can't speak on the 5100's, but the IFP 2.0's were night and day from stock in my opinion. They make the truck ride the way it should from the factory. Against, I've never personally run the 5100, but have heard they're on the stiff side. Even the IFPs are quite a bit more expensive than the 5100s, so be ready. I did go with a Bilstien steering stabilizer, not much difference between that and the fox, except a good chunk of change.

Reactions: Corey@CNCFAB
#3 ·
Just installed the 5100's including the steering stabilizer. Nice upgrade. Much more controlled feel over bumps and wash board roads. I have not noticed a stiffer ride. Still rides like a truck though. Good replacement shocks without spending too much $$$.

#4 ·
I found the foxes for 415 shipped I might just get them ! Hopefully it's good ! I've been reading and day foxes are way better just way more money ! Haven't read about anyone having the 2.0 resi ones though

#5 ·
I just replaced my 5100 last week for the Fox 2.0. The 5100 is a very stiff shock. You could literally take exits at high speed as there was limited roll. The Bilsteins did not wear/weather well in Canada with all the sand/salt, snow, and cold weather. The shock bodies were quite calcified and the shocks started to leak. I had 5100 on all four corners as well as on a dual steering stabilizer. All were shot and leaking. I decided to try the Fox 2.0 on the recommendation of my local shop as well as by Carli and already notice a softer ride. I have the 2.0 on all four corners and bought a BDS dual steering stabilizer with 2.0 shocks as well. The shock bodies of the Fox as I am told should weather Canada's winter conditions much better than the Bilsteins did and the oil they use is more viscous at lower temperatures from what I understand.

#7 ·
Yeah for ride it's fox hands down. They ride nice. However, the comment saying that the bilsteins ride stiff and you could exit at highway speeds is very true. I have the bilsteins on my truck and I can whip around and not have much body roll which is nice to me. Feels a lot more controlled.

#11 ·
We put fox 2.0's on my little brothers 6.0 with a 6 inch procomp lift and it was a huge improvement from the bilstien 5100's! I am not a fan of bilstien shocks anymore they ride way too stiff and end up leaking and going bad prematurely.

#12 ·
Bilsteins was the only way to go couple years ago. All that has changed lately, both my Jeeps I have switched to Fox 2.0 and love the ride. Bilstein was not bad but Fox is better.

The truck still has Bilsteins on it, but soon that will be changing to Fox.

Only drawback is Bilsteins had lifetime warranty no questions asked for replacement. Fox will need to be rebuilt after about 50K and they need to be sent in for that. So I guess you will have to have spare set to send them for rebuild.:grin:

#14 · (Edited)
Just remember that neither will make your ride smoother or "softer". Either shock is great and they both are built to last (the Fox probably being a 70,000 mile shock and the Bilstien being a 50k shock, but with a liftime warranty) and design to be a more responsive, firmer shock. But if you expecting your ride to get more comfortable (my selling point to the wife on my old 2011 SD)......yeah, thats a big lie.

I had the Fox 2.0s on my 2011 F250 and it made the truck significantly stiffer than the OEM Crapchos and even the Skyjacker M95 Monotubes i had prior.

If you truck wih the factory shocks rides like a caddy (biiiiiiig stretch) it will ride like a BMW with Fox shocks (also biiiiig stretch but i think you get the comparison)

To further my point, my wife was sold on the smooth ride of my new 2016 F450 after a test drive we took at the dealership arriving in my 2011 F250 with 1 month old Fox shocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.