Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2013 6.7 Maintenance

10K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  dieseldesi 
#1 ·
So I have about 47K miles on my 2013 F250 and I have been very religious in doing my maintenance. I do my own oil changes with Rotella T5 and Motorcarft filter every 5K miles. I have also been changing the fuel filter every 10K - 12K miles with regular water separator draining.
Truck has been good to me.

Just recently changed the air filters as well. I know ford says to wait till the gauge on it show resistance but I figured 47K is enought out of an air filter.

Also my OEM batteries only last me about 2 years 9 months and I just replaced both with Diehard AGM from sears. (Batteries not lasting over 3 years may have some thing to do with my audio system)

So my question is I could not find anything on the ford website or the owners manual about the following:
  1. Transmission fluid Change / Flush / internal filter if any
  2. Brake Fluid Flush
  3. Transfer case fluid change
  4. Differential Fluid change
  5. Power steering Fluid change

Have you guys seen anything on it? What have you guys done about it. Also has anyone had their brakes wear out (front or rear), if YES at how many miles?

Also what do you guys do with your alignment check? My dealership quoted me $90 to just do a simple check and set the tow. If it needs camber and caster they charge $256. Has anyone had to do it?

See less See more
#2 ·
Tranny is rated at 150,000 miles under normal use. About 60,000 under Severe use.

Coolant needs to be flushed at 105,000 under normal and 60,000 under severe service.

I changed out my serpentine belt at 140,000, It was still good, but starting to show a few signs of wear. I had flushed the tranny at 36,000 when they changed the soleniods. So I had them flush it again while changing the serpentine belt.

I change oil as recommended by command center. about every 7,500 miles, I change air and fuel filters every other oil change

BTW, None of my OEM batteries last more than 36 months.

#3 ·
I took the truck to Sam Pack's Five Star Ford in Carrollton TX for alignment. It just needed the basic alignment so cost was only $89.95, it was off a little bit. They checked the brakes for me and the front were down to 2mm the rear were at 8mm.
So I had them do the front brake job at $269.95 and brake fluid flush at 139.95

Probably will do a transmission flush at about 60K miles.

#13 ·
Front brakes on my 13 needed replacing around 55k.

#14 ·
I took mine into have it tested when the coolant minder came on..

Dealer said just reset it and don't worry about it. He said it doesn't get cold enough around here for it to be a problem...Read about it in your owners manual. I haven't done that yet, but never heard that before.

I'm at the shop now, 3 times in the past 2 months with starting the truck, the starter just spun and didn't engage to start the truck. No big deal, but I want it fixed. I'm waiting for them to tell me they couldn't replicate the issue.

#15 ·
It's doesn't have anything to do with how cold it is. It's scary how little some dealers know about these trucks. The message came up on mine around 30k miles. I was first under the impression that it comes on around every 15k but now I believe it's totally random. The test is not to make sure the coolant is going to protect against cold weather but to make sure the chemical levels in the coolant don't turn acidic and ruin the block. They are testing the PH level or nitrates or something along those lines.

#26 ·
COOLANT!

I took mine into have it tested when the coolant minder came on..

Dealer said just reset it and don't worry about it. He said it doesn't get cold enough around here for it to be a problem...Read about it in your owners manual. I haven't done that yet, but never heard that before.

I'm at the shop now, 3 times in the past 2 months with starting the truck, the starter just spun and didn't engage to start the truck. No big deal, but I want it fixed. I'm waiting for them to tell me they couldn't replicate the issue.
On the right track. See below, this should point you in the right direction on the coolant. It is important to understand how your coolant work even more so if taking it to a dealer (as they don't understand 99% of the time).

Coolant! Very important. I have not heard of a single dealer in all my research and forum expeditions that actually knew how to test the coolant properly. I recently purchased the test kits to do it myself. See the pdf link from Motocraft below. One test I believe could not be done in 10 minutes at a dealer as the coolant needs to be under a specific temp range. Dealer only has 1 test. You should be doing 3 tests. I will be doing mine in the near future.

Motocraft Link: http://www.powerstrokediesel.com/docs/Coolant_Information.pdf

Good Thread, See LEXUSTBS (post #5 ): "Check Coolant Additive" - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

#23 ·
I assume it's just a Ford caster kit. Seems like every time I take one of my cars in for alignment they want to sell me one, can't get it into specs without one . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.