Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

"Must Haves" for new truck?

10K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  Painted Horse 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. After a very long search I finally purchased my new 2016 F-350 Platinum 6.7L truck and I love it! Thanks to everyone on this site helping me prior to my purchase.

With Black Friday approaching, I am trying to make a list of "Must haves" for this truck so I can be on the look out for sales.

So far I have ordered:
1. Tailgate Pop & Lock
2. Tailgate Defender Lock
3. 50 cal Stubby Antenna
4. Bug deflector
5. Window vent visors

My Black Friday list so far:
1. Husky floor mats (or another brand if recommended)
2. Edge Insight CTS 2

So my question is what else do you consider is a "Must have" for these trucks I should add to the list?

Sorry for the crappy pic, but it's all I have so far.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Get the husky xact fit mats. LOVE them!!

Reactions: Elkhounds
#3 ·
I swapped out my interior lights for LEDs, They are much brighter and whiter, At my age, trying to read small print in the OEM yellow lights was difficult. The LEDS are MUCH brighter inside the cab.

I also have to back up and hook up trailers in the dark a lot. So I swapped out the stock back up light bulbs for LEDS and I also added two 6LED cubes into my rear bumper that are on an upfitter switch. These really light up the area when I backing into a construction site to hook up a trailer

I also added a 20" front LED light bar to help light up what's in front of the truck.

Since I went a little larger tire, I added mud flaps to slow down how much crap gets thrown up the side of the truck.

And of course since I tow heavy a lot. I added the Firestone Airbags with the Airlift Wireless Remote compressor.

Tell us what you find. Maybe I'll decide I can't live with out it either.

#4 ·
Definitely going with the Husky Xact fit mats after reading a bunch of reviews on how weathertech quality has diminished.

I've been looking into getting some leds, starting with the 20" bar on the front end. However, I'm moving to SD around July and I'm told I have to have a front plate there. So I started looking at a 30" single row to go in the grill but it seems like rough country is the only one with the mounting brackets for mounting it in the grill and they want like $200 (+). I can't justify that much money for extra light right now. But I am looking into changing the stock fog lights and interior lights for LED soon.

#5 ·
I haven't done it personally yet but will look at it this weekend. I thought our front license plate frame was screwed into the bumper but it infact is just clipped on. I'm in a state that you need a front license plate as well so my plan is to unclip it and slide it as far over to the passenger side and reclip it. Then measure to see what I can fit centered in the bumper.

#6 ·
My must haves were window tint to match the factory rear, spray in bedliner, leveling kit and factory 20" wheels. I recently picked up the full front and rear weathertech molded floor mats. I don't have a center console so I could get the one piece front mat which I love.

#10 ·
I was actually looking at buying one of these today. However, the reviews were so mixed on them I didn't place the order yet. It seems some people absolutely love theirs but others say it never worked right and broke within the first month. It's good to know that you like yours. I might just go ahead and spend the $30 and give it a try.

#12 ·
Honestly if you're going to replace the fogs with leds get the Rigid DOT approved ones. None of the others can you run on the road they are blinding to oncoming traffic. I want a set for christmas

#13 ·
While I appreciate Rigid's products, I think their pricing is freaking outrageous! Almost $400 for a pair of LED fogs and another $60 for the mounting bracket! This is a prime example of why I won't ever have anything with the name Rigid on my truck. Don't even get me started on their LED grilles...:crazys:

I'm probably going to give the Rough Country's a shot soon. I'm hearing lots of good reviews on their 30" and 20" bars. Plus they carry a 3yr warranty and Rough Country is a reputable company.

#16 ·
I love my Edge CTS. While I don't obsess over regens, it is nice to know one is in progress as I approach my destination. If I know the regen is almost over, I extend my drive enough for it to complete and register as a completed regen. If it has recently started, I just park and don't worry about it as I can complete it on the next trip.
I can also see passive regens just by checking the DPF gpl or know when a regen will be starting soon. Plus I monitor all 4 EGTs to make sure none are going bad.

Reactions: MisterScott
#17 ·
All the LED lights, and floor mats stuff is nice. With all the jerks on the road and texting going on now a days, your money would be wiser spent purchasing a dash cam for your own legal protection. I have one in each on my vehicles. The Wheel Witness for $149 on Amazon has 170 degree lens, high definition resolution, loop recording, 3 windshield mounts, good customer service, etc.

#21 ·
Just installed my Husky Xact fit mats this weekend. You won't be disappointed. I like them much better than the weathertechs I had on my previous truck. I also installed a Bedrug bed liner and a F1 Bakflip Tonneau cover. Love the F1 because it keeps the exact profile of your truck while allowing you to secure items in the bed. Next on my list is a powered sub and matched tint. Down the road I'll swap the front lights for LEDs and I'm currently on the hunt for painted bumpers off of a Platnium.

#22 ·
I have the ford rubber mats. I had the weathertechs in my 6.4 and the fronts were good but the back sucked and slid all over the place. I've always been under the impression that the huskys got deformed and fell apart pretty easy. Could you take some pics of them?

#23 ·
I've heard great things about the Husky xact fits. I'm not overly impressed with my weathertechs in this truck. But they do the job they are supposed to do.

Insight CTS is a must if nothing other than to correct the 3mph inaccuracy of the stock speedometer. But monitoring the EGT's and DPF is quite nice also. I've gotten so used to having my RPM's, speed, EGT's, etc on the CTS i dont even look down at my actual gauges much at all anymore, keeps my eyes forward which is nice with all the dummies on the road.

Oh and, microfiber towels and glass cleaner under the back seats. I dont know wtf is up with these new trucks and plastics, but darn if the windshield isnt hazed up in 2 days or so with something, drives me nuts. Constantly cleaning the glass, and my mirrors while im at it.

Jason

#35 ·
Oh and, microfiber towels and glass cleaner under the back seats. I dont know wtf is up with these new trucks and plastics, but darn if the windshield isnt hazed up in 2 days or so with something, drives me nuts. Constantly cleaning the glass, and my mirrors while im at it.

Jason
Yeah tell me about it. I maybe cleaned the windshield in my old truck 3 times in 5 years. The new one will not stay clean on the inside, no idea why.

#25 ·
I wish I never got a CTS now the regen just pisses me off more lol. I was happier not knowing how stupid it is. I wish there was a driver initiated regen option that I could cut on when about to drive 15 miles or so instead of the truck hovering at 95% full until 1 mile from destination. I swear it's tied into the GPS

#30 ·
I can speak for this. Was involved in a parking lot accident in July. The guy claimed fault at the scene and then told his insurance a different story. I ended up 50% at fault for an accident I didn't even cause. Would have been nice to have the video footage to give to my insurance.

#32 ·
I agree with the Husky mats, had them in my 6.0, then moved the same ones to my 6.4. And they still are in great condition after 8 yrs. I like them because they cover a greater area unlike the weathertechs. Have a set for my 14 just haven't gotten around to putting them in.

I agree that Rigid LEDs are overpriced somewhat, but their products are worth the price.

#33 ·
delete the whole truck with an SCT and a 5 inch flopro and a no limit EGR delete kit. throw a S&B intake on it. Just call No Limit and give them your credit card and let them make christmas happen for you.

but if your on some sort of budget then don't do that........... get a bedcover and call it a day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.