Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Change Oil at 1,000 Miles?

5K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  RJC2 
#1 ·
I'm quickly approaching 1,000 miles on the new truck and I was wondering what most of you did as far as the first oil change goes. On my Focus I changed it for the first time at 1,000 miles, but being that the truck has several gallons of oil in it, I don't want to waste perfectly good oil if there's no benefit to swapping it out with so few miles. If I don't change the oil, would perhaps a filter change and top off be beneficial?

I keep to a 5,000 mile oil change rotation on all my other vehicles, so is that a safe bet on the 6.7, or should I just wait until the oil change indicator says it's time? I plan on going synthetic in the new truck at the first oil change, and am probably going to run Mobil Delvac 5W-40 since I've had great luck with Mobil products in the past. I currently run Chevron Delo 15W-40 in my 7.3, but I figured I'd jump to synthetic for the new truck.

Thanks!

#3 ·
There's been talk of a special break in oil that Ford puts in and should not be changed until at least 5,000 miles.

According to a guy that talked to a tech at Ford.

Or to be safe, just drain and refill with break in oil and change out to what your going to use at 5K.

#5 ·
Was talking to an engine builder and his response was on a fresh motor there was no point to changing oil till it's due. Unless your motor gives you some inclination that something is going horribly wrong. He did however say a good Neodymium magnet helps keep a lot of the initial wear metals in the pan.

#7 ·
At 29 years of age, I share that mind set.

#9 ·
Hehehe, agreed, however, oil is not exactly a new tech. However, if it does come with break in oil, old logic applies not to remove it.

#11 ·
Not really, now granted its not the Supertec 10w-30 of the '80s, but friction is still friction, wear is still wear. Mobil1 is generally considered a great oil, when it is only a decent oil. Oil isnt changed every 50k miles(That would be an advancement). Depending on the oil, 3k-15k is still the interval, although I would still never let a filter go past 7.5k.

#12 ·
As far as the first oil change always wait till the truck tells you... There are additives put in there by Ford and if you read your owners manual it will tell you what to do. Follow the manual, drive the truck, and enjoy it. By following the manual you are maintaining the truck properly.

As far as oil itself is concerned, only way to know how it and your truck are reacting is to have it tested. But its actually just as much an advancement in mechanical design as it is oil itself. Vehicles like the 6.7 are designed for extremely high tolerances and the lack of "slop" in the motor itself means that there is actually less friction. There is also a lot less oil contamination. This means that "extended" oil changes can be achieved depending on how the truck is used. But, every truck/vehicle is different and the only way to know how far you can push the oil and filter is to have the oil tested.

These days most full synthetic oil stacks up pretty much the same. The big difference is the application, not the quality of the oil itself.

Mobil 1 is AWESOME for very cold climates. The stuff pours and protects a motor like no other in places like Minnesota, Canada, and Alaska or pretty much anywhere else that it is below freezing for MONTHS at a time. For heavily abused and used trucks there are other oils that stand up better. Again, its not the oil itself that is good or bad. Its a combination between motor, use/situation, and the oil itself.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the input guys! I know oil brand and change frequency can be quite the hot subject, but I appreciate all the input. I'll wait at least until 5,000 miles for the first oil change and may just hold off until the truck says it's time. As far as oil brand and viscosity go, I'll review the manual and make sure whatever I choose meets all of Ford's requirements for the 6.7.

#14 ·
No, oil brand and frequency is NEVER a hot subject... Hehehehhe

Reactions: toren302
#17 ·
I'm new to diesels myself, but anytime you hear diesel and oil I always hear rotella t6 synthetic. I was just at the Ford truck dealer by my house (they mainly deal with commercial trucks, but trucks only no cars). I spoke with a mechanic there, and he highly suggested using only motorcraft oil and filters. I told him I knew the filters were a no brainer and he specifically said don't use rotella and I never even mentioned it. He said the tight tolerances on the motors its what works best that he has seen. Also said go by when the truck says to change it.

#18 ·
There is nothing wrong with motorcraft oil... That's the funny part about this whole oil argument.

Motorcraft, Mobil1, T6, etc... They are all fine, people have their preferences and that's what they stick to. Don't take my, his, or anyone else's word for anything... Go do reading and come to your own conclusion. As long as you follow what the owners manual says you don't have much to worry about.

#22 ·
First of all, the stuff you don't want floating around your new engine isn't doing that. It is trapped by the oil filter and removed from circulation.
Second, there have been studies that have shown engines with frequent oil changes tend to get worse fuel mileage than those with 5-10,000 mile intervals. It seems that oil has a break in period as well.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#27 ·
Yes the non solubles are trapped in the filter. I'm not advocating over changing the oil. Just once in it's like because as the old saying goes "$hit Happens", and I'd rather be in front of it, and not stuck behind it. Been doing this stuff to long, and seen to much to be willing to pass up that super simple step. Your truck, your opinion, your choice. I just expressed my own is all

#23 ·
I changed mine at 2000 ONLY because I was leaving on a 5000 mile trip towing a trailer. Didn't want to push factory oil to 7000 with so much of that towing. I switched to syn 5w-40 and no noise at all. Ran that oil 7100 miles and changed when dash told me to. Sent sample in and all was great.

I would have waited the 5000 miles but didn't want to be messing with oil on our vacation.

#24 ·
Well, I am buying the Royal Purple Delvac today....found it at oreillys they day I did my last oil change. Will be trying that one out....I am trying for 15k out of an oil change. Will change filter and get sample at 7.5k.

#25 ·
Also FWIW, I use rotella conventional now, changed at every 3k. My last oil change, even the guy changing it mentioned how clean it looked. But if I can get 15k out of a synthetic, id rather that than a conventional every 3.

#26 ·
And just because I can and certain people are impressed by it for some reason, Triple post.

#28 ·
Guys, there is a mindset that is hard to change regarding oil change intervals. Anyone who has built an engine himself knows that changing oil sooner rather than later is better from what he sees in a crankcase during a rebuild. This new mindset is (in my mind anyway) partly technology taking us forward, and also a bit of treehugger BS, wanting us to save to planet.

Bottom line is this. Anyone going past the Manufacturers recommendations (ie. 15K,25K intervals) will have fun with Ford if you ever have an oil related failure. (I have witnessed this at my dealership) They EXPECT you to do what they say to do to the truck if you EXPECT them to warranty it.

#31 ·
I just use my phone to do a short video. I open the door and record the mileage and then pan down to the oil draining out the bottom. Then I do another quick 20 second video of me pouring in the new oil. Don't ever expect any problems but I think this more than covers it.

#30 ·
Just keep your receipts. Just thinking that it probably wouldn't hurt to snap a pic of yourself doing the work with a date stamp. It's kind of a pain because I like to buy filters in bulk for a better deal and that doesn't help anything.

I just had my dealership do it for me. It cost me about $20 more than I could do it myself, and I had no worries about the warranty. That made it worth the $20. I always tipped the Tech $20 as well. In the end that ended up paying off some as he would sometimes have left over DEF that he would save for me and fill me up free. You can't be kind enough to those Ford Techs. Those guys are taking a real screwing lately from the dealerships and above. Every one of them (that I have met) have been good guys.

#33 ·
I don't keep receipts....but I keep a log book with the date, mileage, and the service performed with the required parts written down. I send an oil sample into Blackstone every oil change, I figure that will be more than sufficient, since the mileage interval and oil type is annotated on the test sheet.

Cale

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.