Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2012 F-250 Won't Start After Unplugging Batteries

9K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  AMG1978 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been very annoyed with the SYNC issues I have had with the headunit and my phone. I updated the SYNC software this afternoon and it didn't fix my Bluetooth pairing issue. So I decided (stupidly now in hindsight) to disconnect the negative terminal on the batteries for about 10-15 minutes, then reconnect. I did the one on the right first, then the one on the left (if the order matters).

Upon re-connecting I went in to the truck and tried to start it. It wouldn't even attempt to turn over. I had an amber wrench on the screen and "1 Warning" under Information. I locked the doors X 2 and then did Remote Start and it started perfectly. I can put the key in, turn it over and put it in R, back up, and D and pull forward. It seems fine like this, but if I turn the truck off, I cannot use either of my factory keys to start the truck. Neither even attempts a turn over, just completely nothing.

Any ideas? H E L P!

:EDIT: I just remembered there is this stupid (I HATE IT, asked to have it removed, but they wouldnt) default anti-theft thingee. going down to check the model and look on their website, see if maybe that is the issue.

:EDIT 2:
Since I cant delete this thread, I'll say that was the issue. I dont know who makes it yet, but I called and the guy walked me through turning off the starter kill. Stupid thing! but glad they answered :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Actually, it sounds like that anti-theft thingy works pretty good. Gotta be glad for that.

#3 ·
It's this thing called "Vehicle Theft Protection" aka "VTP" and I read online everywhere its a piece of **** that simply connects to a starter wire, and overpriced. The dealer wouldnt remove it for anyone, etc. I may have a competent shop remove it though.

#4 ·
I can certainly understand ditching it if you are not pleased with it. I've read a few threads where an anti-theft system was working a little too well.

...and yes to finding a competent shop. Very important in this type of situation.

#5 ·
Thanks for putting the answer in your post too! Can't stand it when something gets asked and then the answer is "got it figured out".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.