Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

UTV in truck bed?

6K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Manatee 
#1 ·
Anybody haul a UTV in their truck bed?

I want to get a RZR and have a trailer to haul it with, but when I go camping will need to put it in the truck bed so I can also tow the TT. Looking at the 60" or narrower models so it can clear the bed rails.

Interested to hear feedback on any truck modifications or custom racks, etc., used to haul your toy.

#2 ·
Time to get a touhauler. They have deck over devices used for snowmobiles and utvs but the incline to drive up to them is insane. All the new rzrs are bigger, might have to research a specific model, maybe an older one for width if it has to go in bed. Then if your tailgate has to be down, be sure it clearances the trailer on turns.

Take your wife to look at the new fifth wheel garage models, you won't need it in the bed of truck...

#12 ·
I'm looking at a 2-seater side-by-side model, specifically the 900/1000 S line which is 60" width. CanAm also makes a 60" model. These are targeting the trail or XC riding crowd. I live on the East Coast and I'm not sure the extra wide (64") platform with long wheel-base like the XP RZR is ideal the terrain out here. No dunes, all tight forest, mud, and rocks.

Here's a shot of 60" RZR S 900 (1000 is the same size - just bigger motor) fitting into a standard bed Silverado. Tailgate supports would help and I'd have to locate a sufficient hitch extension for my travel tailer.

#6 ·
Haven't put a RZR in the back, just regular 4 wheelers my self.

Few things come to mind, and one idea.

You could probably build up the box - sub floor - to the same level as the wheel wells. Even just using lumber, and still keep below the level of the bed rails and keep the centre of gravity as low as possible. Angle the aft section of the sub floor to the tail gate.

I've taken out a rear window before on very rough roads, even tied down, the ATV bounced enough that it hit the rear window... Fun times.

As well, be careful of the ramps you use to get it in and out. First time in my 6.0, which sat up considerably higher than my previous trucks, increased the ramp angle. I actually rolled an ATV back over getting it out.... Exciting times.
I built extensions for the ramps that day.

The other thing I've done on every truck using ramps.... And you're not going to like this one... Drilled holes in the tail gates to attach the ramps to it. Just two holes that can be used for pins, I used bolt, just dropped them in. I never had one come off, but I was always fearful of it out in the bush by myself.

I used tie downs in the stake post holes, worked well. Beyond that, they ride nice in the back. Nice to if you can put the tail gate up. If not, the other mod I had in some trucks, was to replace the tailgate cables with steel hinges, as they used to be. Saves the tail gate from damage when those cables break.

I've seen guys around here, with systems that are ramps etc that put the machine on a bed on top of the box rails. To me, I've always thought that puts the c of g pretty high. Especially if you are running and bush/back roads. Jmo.

Good luck with it. Take a picture when you do it and show us what you did will you. I'm curious.

#7 ·
People do it all the time here. I even seen one in the back of a Honda Ridgeline. I would suggest removing the tail gate and build a platform that hooks to the receiver and to the bed. If you want some pics I'll try and get a few.

#9 ·
My dumba$$ didn't take a pic. They had a set of cradles made that would hold the rear tires. It was in the receiver hitch. Then they where pulling a trailer with a 4wheeler on it.

#11 ·
I know. Shame on me. Let me go back to my corner.

Reactions: Heavy_GD
#14 ·
Well talking it over with my wife today, she says she'd rather have a 4-seater so all the kids can ride along. So there goes fitting it in the truck and I'll have to use my trailer. Of course what she doesn't realize is it also means the TT is going to need an upgrade to a toy-hauler with a 13' garage :grin:

Meanwhile this will have to do for transportation:

#17 ·
Got trails, will travel :thumb:

George Washington & Jefferson National Forest and Moto-Cove Winchester for the local stuff. The rest would be weekend+ trips to Hatfield McCoy in WV and maybe Rausch Creek in PA. Then the bigger parks would be reserved for the 3+ day weekends:

Black Mountain Offroad
Maine ATV Trails ~ The Moose Loop, Mountain ATV Trail System in Western Maine
Windrock Park
Brimstone Recreation - ATV Park in TN - Plan Your Adventure
White Knuckle Event

At least that's the plan. Don't have one yet.
You know of other riding areas in the Mid-A?

#19 ·
Worked at a Polaris dealer for many years. 60" will fit in a standard bed, but it is hell on the wheel wells. Seen several trucks with them collapsed. Best set up I had seen was a ramp that raised the wheels over the wells, and from there the front of the bed was boxed in. That lifted the inside end above the rear glass, and pulled the outside wheels in another couple inches

#20 ·
The two seat UTVs are way more fun than a four seat unit. The long wheelbase of the four seat units make them "less fun" as they can't negotiate tight trails. For cruising up and down fire/lease roads or logging roads, four seaters are a no brainer. Come tight, technical trails with roots, rocks, trees, steep terrain, etc, a two seat model is far superior. Therefore, I'd recommend two, two seat models. However, you can't go wrong with either. You can get a swivel trailer for the back of a 5th wheel if you don't want a toy hauler. Not sure what your state laws are in terms of towing a tandem setup but if they're allowed, a 5th wheel and your current trailer would work too. I use a single axle flat deck/utility trailer to tow mine but they're only trailered for maintenance. The mountains are across the street.

#21 ·
Nice Maverick! I've done a lot of comparison between the RZR and Maverick. I like the wider seating position of the Mav whereas the RZR is more shoulder to shoulder. Otherwise these machines are nearly identical in power and performance. The manufactures do a great job remaining competitive with each other (sound family ...cough chebby cough..).

I've gone back and forth with the 2 vs 4 seater. I would prefer the 2 seater for the all the reasons mentioned and the 4 seater would only be used on the rare full family outings.

Unfortunately my state doesn't allow double trailer towing, but I have looked into those swivel wheel attachments. Might be a good option for a 2-seater but obviously can't handle the 4-seater.

#22 ·
I wouldn't base any decisions off of performance. The aftermarket is insane for side by sides. Tuners, exhausts, turbos, nitrous, etc. All of this can be added for additional HP and torque. My old Commander wasn't much fun to drive as it was quite scary to be a driver or passenger as I didn't spend the necessary money to make it "safe." I had the standard mesh doors and seat belts. In my opinion, this is not enough. The Maverick, I spent money on and not just on performance parts. Aluminum doors with skins, added grab handles, windshield, full roof, and then all the advantages of the higher trim levels such as racing seats and harnesses shouldn't be considered options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.