Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2013 vs 2015

4K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  j21black 
#1 ·
So I have a little issue I'm looking to buy one of the two trucks. One is 2013 loaded larait with13k miles and has the Tuscany black ops package. The other is a 2015 platinum and has a lift, fender flares and xd wheels with larger tires. That has 10k miles on it. The black ops only has 8 months of bumper to bumper warranty left vs the platinum with a little over 2 years left. Both are the exact same price. What one do I go with and why? This is a hard decision. Because both are basically loaded and have the same features. Only thing I can tell is the platinum has up on the ops is heated rear seats and maybe heated steering wheel. Not sure if the ops has either.

#4 ·
I would get the 15 as the turbo is 33% bigger (IIRC) and there were some fuel system changes...

Cale

#5 ·
Because. The 13 having the black ops Tuscany package. Obviously how they list it being a 23k$ package is bs, if someone bought all the stuff themself and had it put on, it would be 10-13k. But its the only "Ford approved" aftermarket company to do stuff. Also the black ops to me looks better and has a few more things at least cosmetic. Like power retractable side steps. Fiberglass body matched tonneau cover. I like the tuxedo black color more etc. That and I haven't seen the platinum in person yet. They are ASKING the same price for both truck. The dealer with the black ops, I have worked down the price, beat em up on my trade in and been approved for the loan. I'll see today about the platinum.

I guess mainly is, quality wise besides the little more power the 15 has. Is it a better truck or are they about equal? Obviously a longer warranty is better too, but I hate to buy a truck for 55k and think its going to break. Esp that soon

#6 ·
Add on's such as the Black Ops package and other Tuscany packages are just eye appeal and they lose their luster over time. Your taste will change with time also. I splurged in 2006 and bought a 2007 GMC Duramax with an H4 package from Rocky Mountain Truck Works. It had major eye appeal but was in no way a better truck. I'd go with the 2015 with more warranty. You don't spend that amount thinking it will break, but crap happens and things break. You will be glad at that point you have the warranty.

#8 ·
They wouldnt come down on price much, only about 2 k but they offered me 7k less on trade. The truck looked nice but had all kinds of mud stuck under it. Someone clearly beat on it before they traded it in. I wish the 13 had a longer warranty but only having 13k miles on it. I'm having faith it won't break. Waiting to hear an answer back to see if I can get into a new 16 for the right price. II agree also about the black ops just being eye appeal also. Most likely why I'm hung up on it (it did its job) hah if I didn't care about looks I could get into a 14 cpo for about 4k less but it has the two tone paint with gold that I hate and a tan interior that I can't stand. My concern is that if I don't modify anything. Don't mess with the emissions stuff and just do maintence and drive the truck that I'll have good luck and a long living vehicle that doesn't cost me a fortune to own or make me hate three years into ownership because things constantly break like all my GM vehicles have done

#11 ·
Yeah except it has a lot of useless junk on it making it more expensive than a 2 year truck should be.

If you have the means, just buy a new one IF you can not get shafted on your trade and get a good interest rate, i'm at 1.9% on my truck.

But it took some time and a lot of emails back/forth to not get beat up on my trade. I paid a higher price for my truck but got 7k more on trade for my old one, so came out ahead by several thousand and got a really good interest rate.

I would go for a 15+ truck for the revised transmission tuning, its freaking smooth as butter, a real exhaust brake(once you have one, you cant just not have one anymore) and its new.

If i could do it over again one more time, i'd have ordered one to the letter of what I wanted, but the one I have is darn close enough for me to keep it for the long haul barring any major issues.

What I like about ordering one, is it takes a long time to look at all the opions/trims and gives you time to really think about spending all that money. Not ogling that shiny new truck sitting on the lot impulsively wanting to take it home.

Sit in/drive/crawl all over/whatever you want to do and decide what you do/dont want/need and see if something fits what you really want or order one before the current truck is unavailable for order.

YMMV

Jason

#12 ·
You make a lot of valid points. For it being a used truck I got a decent interest rate 5% for 72 months. Could be better but could be much worse. As far as price yes its a little high. But I'll be honest the closest thing to it without all the extras use is 49k its 54.... And they are the only dealer out of 6 that I've been to that has offered this much. And by a few thousand so it balances itself out. Trucks where I live a wayyy higher in price then other states I've learned. Esp good condition low milage used. A few of my friends have bought trucks out of state for that reason.

My other issue is that I could get a new 15 for the same price with all the incentives they have going now. But they don't have any with all the features I want and weirdly enough the black ops does.

I really wanted the platinum I went to see today honestly. I was unaware about the trans upgrade. Only the turbo change and exhaust brake. Also though I hear 15+ have a power loss shutter issue that the 13 wouldn't have.

#14 ·
You should try to sell your current vehicle on Craigslist. Then jump on cars.com or autotrader.com and find leftover 2015 models. I looked for several weeks and had a couple of set backs, but I got a brand new Lariat Ultimate package CCLB F350 @ 13,500 off MSRP. I almost bought a 2015 CCLB DRW but not knowing if it was ever programmed made me feel uncomfortably as I expect a full warranty when spending over 50k. Good Luck!

#15 · (Edited)
You should be able to get a 64k sticker truck in the very low 50's. My truck was 64,4XX and i was around 53 for my truck. I had one offer as low as 499XX for the same truck in a different color but they offered my 7k less on trade, so..while the price made me want to hop in my truck and sign papers, after it was all said and done the higher price was the better deal.

With how much can go wrong on these new rigs, I'm just not a fan of buying used when as long as you dont get bent on a new truck, there is very little to be saved vs just buying a new one vs a 1-2 year old one.

Jason

#16 ·
I'm honestly scares now that me being a Chevy guy wanting to change to Ford, you all don't sound like you have much faith in a truck with 13k miles on it. My hummer is having a lot of issues and I need to trade it asap. I owe 26k and getting about 18-20k offers. The dealer with the black ops is offering 24. The issue is I'm not looking at new trucks with 64k stickers. I'm looking at ones with 72k stickers. But they don't have any 15s left and are not willing to work on 16s. I need to make a decision by Tuesday and guess I was looking for reassurance on here that they are solid trucks. But it doesn't sound like it. I hate the ifs and Chevy suspension but you guys are making me question why I'm not buying a tried and true duramax. Kind of stinks..... I really like this Ford. And the little "usless" things on it are a factor. I like the 1800$ flod down steps. And the 2k hood and the lift etc... But if a 13' is a bad year or won't last me years without a warranty I'm not sure if the trucks are for me.

#17 ·
Sir, I think you'd better go back and re-read the advice these guys have taken their time to help you with.

#18 ·
I have numerous times, I guess instead of making a 2013 vs 15 I should of just asked about reliability and common issues with 13s. Because as of now that's about my only option.

I don't mean to sound rude, and I appreciate all the help everyone has given. I guess I'm just confused about why a vehicle with only 13k miles on it is a risky purchase.

#19 ·
Your good to go with a 2013, not risky. Quility is the same as a 2015. I think the reason why it was recommended to go with the 2015 is simply for the longer factory warranty period. Yes the 2015 will have the slightly more powerful gen 2 PSD, I can't honestly tell a difference when I drive the two different generation 6.7 PSD. Now onto the question of why someone would get rid of 2-3 year old superduty with only 13K miles. The Tuscany Black-Ops truck is a really visually appealing and expensive truck. This truck is a toy and that's all, much like a pricey sports car. You won't see a Black-Ops truck at a work sight or towing an RV. My guess is that the previous owner of this black-ops truck, for lack of better words, got bored with it, and traded it or sold it for his new toy. Or he was on the other end and couldn't afford the payments anymore. My point is, I wouldn't worry about low mileage on a used diesel truck that really serves no other purpose than being a toy.

#21 ·
The Tuscany Black-Ops truck is a really visually appealing and expensive truck. This truck is a toy and that's all, much like a pricey sports car. You won't see a Black-Ops truck at a work sight or towing an RV. My guess is that the previous owner of this black-ops truck, for lack of better words, got bored with it, and traded it or sold it for his new toy. Or he was on the other end and couldn't afford the payments anymore. My point is, I wouldn't worry about low mileage on a used diesel truck that really serves no other purpose than being a toy.
Yes it's very visually appealing. I'm 27years old. Have owned many vehicles. Im selling a cobalt SS that I've owned since it was new in 2006 and my hummer h2 sut that's lifted 8 inches that gets compliments every where I go for a PSD. That's just a part of who I am. Just like my Harley. Just like my house. I like things that look nice but also function. I don't do construction so no it won't be on a job site. But I do have a 5th wheel camper that I WILL pull with it. And well aware I might have to lift the camper 2-4 inches to do so. Also aware I'd have to install helper bags on the power stroke. If that doesn't pan out well I'll take the lift off the truck and go back to stock plus a level.

Again I'd love a 15 but the ones I'm looking at with a ultimate package are high 50s to low 60s 13grand off the "new truck" I want brings the price down to 59500. And not one dealer is will to do that. Along with give me near what I need on my trade.
I love my hummer but its not practical any more and was a poor decision to buy it. I can admit that. I don't want that mistake again.

#20 ·
I put 145,000 miles on a very early 2011 truck. Ran great and I considered it very reliable even on the day I sold it. That said, any truck, Ford, GM, Dodge, will require some maintenance and the occasional problem.

The difference between 10,000 and 18,000 miles is minimal and I would not base a decision on that difference in mileage.

I have no idea what a Black Ops package is. Sound like something my nephew and his buddies would stick on the trucks they build. Which to me, just sounds like more problems. Some after market stick - ons will last and not cause problems, Other may just be a splice in an electrical wire waiting to corrode and cause an electrical problem. To me, anything added after the factory is money lost. You will never get that extra back IF you have to sell it.

If you are considering spending $52,000 on a used truck, I'd spend a little time and search the internet and see if you can get a new 2015 for that price or a little more. Of course it's hard to see what kind of trade in you will get online from a distant dealer. But you should be able to find almost any option if you are will to sell your current vehicle yourself and travel a little to pick up a new truck. Of course dealers just love somebody who has to make a deal today and is in too big a hurry to shop the market. They will make more money than a highly educated buyer.

Choose the truck you like, You will have to drive it for the next 2-3-5 years or longer. And I'm pretty sure either truck will perform and last as good as any current truck on the market. I can't afford to trade trucks every 2-3 years. So I focus on at least 5 years.

Regardless of what aftermarket add-ons are on either truck, the 2015 will be worth more than the 2013 in 5 years. And at some point you have to have to say I will stop letting dealers get me upside down in vehicles.

Reactions: outbacker
#22 ·
Also I plan to have this truck for many years. More then 5. And yes 75% of the time it will be just my daily driver or just loading the bed up with fire wood or to pull my enclosed trailer. My camper is at a seasonal site. But if I decide I want to move it eventually I want that ability.

#23 ·
If you can afford it, if you like it, if it'll suite your needs for as long as you own it, go for it! You won't be disappointed. It really is a bad a** looking truck. To clarify what I previously said, to many people who buy the black-ops truck it's nothing more then a toy. It is certainly just as capable as any other superduty.

#24 ·
As backwards as it sounds its the only one I can find that I wouldn't mind paying on for 6 years and can afford. Again I started my search looking for loaded lariat 2015 model years. The closest one to me is 9 hours away and the dealer wanted me to commit to buy it before they brought it. I don't do business like that. So then I looked at 16s but they won't discount them where its affordable. I then found a 15 king ranch discounted but they didn't come close to what I need out of my hummer. I'm going to contact another place tomorrow with a 16 platinum and see what the numbers are before I commit to the 2013. Again I appreciate everyone's input and help. I just have never done the diesel thing before so wasn't sure what to look for or if there are any huge reasons not to buy a 13 (like how everyone says stay away from a 6.0) wasn't sure if there are any reasons to stay away from a 2013

#25 ·
Only problem with the new trucks is I feel they're meant to be leased not owned. Many of the people who can afford them either use them for work and abuse them or they're toys and at the end of the lease they're returned and most likely weren't taken care of as well as they should be. When they're very excellent trucks, I just don't see them lasting as long as they should and that is solely on manufacturer greed and the way the economy is. I don't know anyone who has bought a 2011+ and plans on keeping it for 10,20,30 years.

If you're set on a new truck then I would test drive the Blk Ops again and make sure you like every aspect of it. It is a very excellent truck and the aftermarket options aren't bad ones and atleast you know they were professionally installed. I would also ask if there is an extended warranty that you can put on.

#26 ·
That's weird because multiple Ford dealers have told me the lease deals for superduty trucks are not even worth it and not nearly as good a the other vehicles. Mainly for that reason, that people buy the trucks beat the **** out of them and then would try to turn them in.

I think I will go look at the truck again tomorrow and try to make up my mind. The truck doesn't seem abused and the only thing the previous owner did was the two services (both are noted on car fax) added weather tech mats. And I THINK a muffler delete. The truck sounds a little louder then stock.... Tries to see the first time I looked at the truck but wasn't really sure what I was looking for or what wasn't there. I know the whole dpf was still there lol that thing is huge and can't be missed.

#27 ·
The DPF is your Muffler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.