Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Ford guy all my life, looking at getting first Powerstroke. 2nd gen 6.7L questions..

15K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  strokinpower 
#1 ·
So I have been doing research lately on what Powerstroke model is right for me and my needs. I have always thought the 6.7L had a great reputation, but I have been reading about the Turbo issues (ceramic bearings) in the 2011-12 model 6.7L

To be honest, lately I am kind of leaning towards a 2007 6.0, and just bulletproofing it. What is really nice is I can find a low mileage 07 6.0 for less than $30k, and they are still a new enough truck to be a nice truck. I have a wife and kids and spend alot of time in the mountains scouting and hunting and I also carry alot of heavy tools in the bed for work (will probably get a screw longbed). I just want a very powerful, reliable truck with decent MPG (I know, pick two lol)

With that said, I really want a 6.7L, especially considering this is a true Ford diesel motor.

My question:

Are the second-gen 6.7L (2013+) good trucks? Or do they still have their own set of issues?
I also heard that 2015 got a torque bump to 850 but also another upgraded turbo?

Would like to know which 6.7L is the one to get right now. Thank you very much.

Fellow Ford guy,
-Joe

See less See more
#2 ·
It's all about your budget. I own and drive every day: 2007 6.0L and 2012 6.7L. The 6.0 is stock, CCLB, 160K miles or so. The 6.7 is now deleted (after 100K warranty was up), CCLB, currently has 113K miles.

Both have been great. I think any turbo issues were limited to cab & chassis trucks, and early 11's had some problems that got sorted out pretty quickly.

#3 ·
To answer your question, yes, .01% of 2013+ 6.7s (though I think you mean 15+ 2nd Gen 6.7) are plagued with problems. Extremely unreliable and will probably leave you and your family stranded at the worst possible times in the deadliest places a human could visit.

The other 99.99 of 2011+ 1st gens and 2015+ 2nd gens are extremely reliable and will give you 200,000+ carefree mile.....

So Shop with caution!!!! FORD Super Duty sales dwarf the competition, which means you could end up with one of these killers. (about as likely as ending up with AIDs walking through an airport)

#6 ·
I got my 2015 Powerstroke the end of March. The only problem I've had is at 1500 miles when a pair of skis flew off the roof of the car in front of me on the interstate. I ran over one and it cracked my water separator housing and left me at the side of the road. Now in mid-October, I have over 18,000 miles and no issues. I pulled my 10K fifth wheel across country and back and got 12.5 mpg. A similar trip with my 2011 Ecoboost two years earlier barely got 10 mpg on premium gas.

#8 ·
Tony made great points. You might be confusing the 13 refresh with the 2nd gen engine. The 13 refresh really only consided of upgrading the interior to support MyFord Touch 8" nav, auto up and down front windows, a change in Sync and a slightly modified tailgate (added trim and platinum option). Other than that, you have yo get a 15 or 16 for the hp and tq increase of the 2nd gen engine.

#10 ·
Yes you are correct, my apologies. I was under the impression that the 2011 and 2012 had the turbo issues, so Ford released the 'refresh' in '13 with the 2nd gen 6.7L, but I was mistaken. So it sounds like Ford addressed the turbo issues in those models and the 2013+ 6.7L is good to go. Still curious if the 2013+ models have any known issues that should be concerning at all, but it doesnt sound like it. Heck, it doesn't even sound like most of the 11-12 models are at much of a risk.

#11 ·
I have a 2011 4x4 lariat. I have 93k on it. It is time for me to either replace or clean the Egr cooler. Or I can delete it. I havnt decided yet. But basically that it is. Truck is great.
Even if the Egr cooler needs to be cleaned every 100k around 500 bucks for the dealer to do it. You can do it your self for 100 bucks for the gasket kit. Or delete for about 500.

Reactions: warhammer
#13 ·
I agree with Justin, there are many factors involved in purchasing a used diesel, by the very nature of what they are, pay close attention when inspecting and if possible find one with verifiable maintenance records.
On the delete issue, I purchased a 2014 Platinum in May 2014, I made it just shy of 5K and deleted it. I made the decision for longevity, (yes, the extra power is nice:nod:) but, I don't rawhide my truck. It is used as a truck though, sometimes pretty hard. Deleting is a risk if you have issues, but leaving it stock can create issues also.......personally, I'd rather be able to use & enjoy my truck and not worry about potential issues due to emissions equipment. Most warranty issues that my friends and family have are emissions related problems, yes Ford is repairing the vehicles, but they're still having the headache of dealing with having to go through the repair process. The highest percentage of major engine issues I've seen has usually been well outside the warranty period anyway(of course there are always exceptions), the 6.7 really is an outstanding power plant and have plenty of power with everything stock and a vast majority of folks haven't deleted and are having no issues.
As Justin mentioned, the 6.7 trucks really retain their value well, I can't say anything about the 6.0 (good or bad) as I've never owned one, but if I ran across the right deal I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, or a 6.4 for that matter.
Either way you decide to go, l feel you'll be impressed with the Diesel, I love mine, it's amazing what they are capable of. Just do your research on any one of them you decide you want, that goes for any used vehicle though, so nothing new there. Good luck, keep us posted.:)

Reactions: warhammer
#14 ·
Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

When will Ford not honor a warranty on a truck (assuming you have the Ford warranty). Will they not touch it if the EGR has been removed? I would imagine they certainly wouldn't honor a warranty on a lifted truck or one with a tuned ECU?

I guess I am wondering if I bought the 6.7L new, and got the Ford warranty, I wonder how much freedom I would have in regards to mods. Im sure just an exhaust and basic bolt-ons are fine, but I really don't know.

#15 ·
They are apparently able to see if a tuner has been placed on the truck bc it leaves a foot print of some sort when they scan it.

I've had both trucks. Bought my 6.0 with 95k for $20k. It was in excellent condition when I got it and when I traded it for my 6.7.

I did have to put roughly 5k into it bc the heads blew and basically everything that could go wrong with a 6.0 happened to me lol. But I do take care of my vehicles and I traded it 3 years later for 16,500 on a 2015 6.7. I do miss my 6.0 bc I could literally Fix everything on it in my driveway. The 6.7 I have no complaints thus far. Its only got 5k and all that has happened was the little rubber stopper on the tailgate fell off.....really can't wait to delete it hehe

#17 ·
Some dealers do some dont. Depends on what it is I'd guess. I bought the extended warranty just because I had to fix my 6.0 while still paying for it and it really ticked me off. So this time I bought the 6 year bumper to bumper for an extra I think 2 grand. Figured if one thing breaks it'll pay for itself.

The 6.7 is a way better riding truck and has plenty of power in stock form. Just coming from a 6.0 it's way too quiet lol. I got over it tho with the ride quality and the amenities (heated and cooled seats, sync, nav, etc). The incentives on the remaining 2015 should be awesome by now.

#18 ·
Just saw the last part of your post. By time I traded it, it was fully bullet proofed. I did a lot of the work my self and I'm definitely not a mechanic. But with some tools, time, patience, YouTube, this forum, and beer I feel like I became one lol.

#19 ·
I sold my 2011 F350 with 145,000 miles on in for $26,000 About half of what the truck cost me 5 years earlier. You don't need to be paying $40,000 for a 6.7L equipped truck.

I had a few minor problems. Nothing major. Shocks, Batteries, front hubs/ bearings, two EGT sensors, a Turbo coolant leak plus the normal tranny and coolant flushes because of mileage. Truck ran great.

But with any truck with 145,000 miles, you need to budget and put a little money aside to repair parts. Alternators, water pumps, radiators, brakes, VSS, Clock springs etc will fail with time. If you are over 100,000 miles or over 5 years regardless of mileage, You are out of warranty and can do anything your local emission laws will allow. And any repairs are going to be your dime.

Good luck

#22 ·
From my experience, it is not an issue except every now and then when somebody else does not park properly. Regardless...I would not go back to a short bed over it.

To me, it rides better while hauling heavy loads and you still have plenty of payload space even with a toolbox. As many have mentioned before, you get a larger fuel tank.

#21 ·
I just picked up the '16 i ordered last week and traded off my 6.0. Absolutely love it although ive only got 300 miles on it. Just my opinion, if you've never owned a diesel before, the 6.0 would be the last engine i'd recomend. Good motors if you know how to take care of them but youve gotta really stay on top of them. Figure the newest one on the road is almost 10 years old.

#26 · (Edited)
You can live with these trucks. They are big and just take common sense to drive. I usually back into a parking spot. Can go thru most drive thru's with care.

It's my vacation truck, down the street truck, out to dinner truck, date night truck, hauling truck, bad weather truck, burn the rubber truck--you get it right?

Only way I see you being disappointed in a SD is, you went way over your budget or you bought one that has a Hex on it from a witch Dr.

also, if not mention with the 2015's is the gas mileage. I get 17mpg solid on this beast. That impresses me as well with 440hp and 860torque! Heck my 2000 F150 V6 5speed gets 19mpg. I'm no easy squeezy driver but I don't thrash either.

#30 ·
They have one less clutch pack, But they don't give the specs on the new clutch packs and clutch drum installed??? Which may be beefier hence the one less pack, Also don't think FORD would increase HP & Torque then install a weaker transmission behind it :rofl::rofl::rofl:

#35 ·
Most of your performance shops are aware of it and yes they are experiencing some failures when tuned. I just talked to Dorian at PSE about this this morning. It's a fact that they have less clutch packs and they are thicker but have less friction material is what Dorian told me.

#37 ·
I would be very interested in finding out why this change was made. Does it actually indicate a weaker tranny or did they thicken and use a better material, thus requiring fewer parts.

#38 ·
Like I said it is thicker but has less clutch material and yes it's a little weaker... they probably did it to save money. Same reason they stopped painting suspension parts. Anything to save a dollar

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.