Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Do you trust that your truck will get you home?

• yes

Votes: 92 93.9%
  • no

Votes: 6 6.1%

i don't trust my truck, please help!!!

12K views 111 replies 29 participants last post by  waggonerj 
#1 · (Edited)
I pretty much live, eat, work, play out of my truck and it has done nothing but fail me. I start at 4:30 every morning, home at 9 pm, 6 days a week and depend on my truck for everything. I believed in built ford tough, but ford has failed me when i needed it most. When its late ive put in a full day and i now have to walk a couple of miles to get phone reception it sinks in that the its not worth it anymore. Its funny how a long walk really sets things into perspective.

The check engine light comes on every 3,000 miles or less and its always a different problem.Build date is January, 2011 some people say that is enough said. But i wonder why has ford service let me down.

So the first check engine light came on after i had the truck for 1000 miles and it took ford service 3 days to diagnosis, change the oil and repair. All for a diesel fuel filter, and a oil change. Ive replaced the egt sensors, coolant pump and tank, def stuff non stop. Its always throwing codes for stuff and they have to reset the pcm. Now the tech says that the newest repair could be 5,000 to replace the left head assembly?

ive spent easily 15,000 on repairs and can't afford anymore between downtime, rental costs and the hassle of not having my tools where they belong when i need them and trying to fit all that in a little rental truck.

I have tried 5 different stealerships and every service manager and service adviser promises a quick turn around but 2 or 3 days for a oil change is unacceptable for a service vehicle. Let alone any major repair or problem and its been up to 2 weeks for service.

FORD IS DESTROYING MY REPUTATION AND MY BUSINESS.

I need a truck to tow my trailer, a rack to get lumber on site etc.

How many other people are having check engine lights problems, left on the side of the road with regen shaking? how long does it take you for a scheduled oil change? ( called 2 weeks in advance how the eff does it still take 3 days to change the oil?)

I could take it somewhere else but it had a warranty, now im over 100,000 miles and i have to sell this truck before it bankrupts me or makes me jump off the bridge. I don't have time to do the oil change myself. I rent a truck, throw the tools into the rental and back to work another 12 hours.

Saddest part is i love the way it looks, spent 12,000 on a tool boxes, rack, wheels, carli pintop leveling kit, has air bags i mean its built to tow my 14,000lb trailer and it does it so easily its hurts to sell. All my customers comment on my truck and how professional it looks but its so unreliable.

i don't know if anybody realizes the pain this is causing me. I drive a modest 25,000 miles a year and depend on a work vehicle to get supplies, my crew, debris out and everything else and i can't do that in a effing rental truck ford!!!!!!!!Its turning into anger, and i try not to get angry but get even. I will not back down, numerous Ford dealerships and service managers have disrespected the wrong person. (still don't know why im not allowed back at one dealership but i have money to spend at other places).Ford builds more trucks than anyone else and it shows with there ****y attitude that just one truck with some problems doesn't deserve the attention of our big company.

I would appreciate some type of response from any ford service before i peruse this further. Anybody with similar problems please let me know and I'm doing research as to what my options are thanks.

See less See more
#7 ·
If it takes longer than 10 minutes, i don't have the time. My truck has never just needed a oil change, i change the fuel filter every time too. Never gone longer than 5,000 miles on oil.

I'm not a mechanic, i'm a general contractor and don't want to play mechanic.

Ive done everything in the service Manuel, so what preventive maintenance have i overlooked?

How many miles do you have on your truck? Do you use it?

I actually use my truck everyday, its not a garage queen that goes to the supermaket and back.

#9 · (Edited)
I have 93k on mine(2011 mid year build) bought it 6 months ago with like 80k on it. I use the heck out of mine between personal ( hauling hay, tractor, lumber and such).

Business when needed as I work for the military. When I have long trips or need to move the big trailer I use my truck.

I've had 1 EGT sensor go out that I changed for 40 bucks in 10 minutes myself. I also changed the oil myself in 30 minutes 2 days ago. I also change the fuel filters myself in about 10 minutes( mostly waiting for fuel to drain). I try to do as much as I can to my truck. I don't like other people doing simple stuff as they don't take their time.

I do have one other problem starting to crop up but its due for it and my truck does idle some. My egr cooler is starting to do the code no code which means one side is getting clogged. I do have the SEIC mod done but previous owner did not. Was a farm truck before mine. its about 25/75 idle vs drive hours. Little high. Ill probably pull the egr cooler myself and clean it. about a 3 hour job.

FYI EDIT BUTTON IS A MUST!! we me anyway

#11 ·
I agree it does take longer to move tools, get a rental and all but my problem is the check engine light always comes on before a necessary oil change, so it has to go to a stealership anyway, y not change the oil while its there and prevent doing it 2,000 miles later.

Even if i don't ask they still change the effing oil.

I never request a oil change the dealer does it every time its there. I refused to pay last time, saying i never requested it, it was changed less than 2,000 miles ago and they would not release the truck to me until i paid them in full.

thanks for all the replies about changing my oil, i will not change my own oil, don't have time and that's not the subject of this post.

#18 · (Edited)
Sounds fair, would you care if it shows the odometer as a rollback on the history report? its a typo and i'm fighting with the DMV to have it fixed.

And thanks for the help patriot, i should have known the internet was going to be full of happy, informative people. I was speaking in general, in Los Angeles people buy these trucks all the time to do the job of a Prius.34,000 in one year with no problems sounds so great. wanna sell me your truck katoom? I guess the only positive thing is it seems like i'm the only one, unless there are others who have not spoken up. Anybody with over 200,000 on a 6.7?

I didn't come here to *****, i don't want a dodge or chevy. I can't tow with anything else and i would like to get a new 350, swap the boxes, wheels, suspension and rack right over and it would be the most economical. I just wanted to find out from other people who have put hard miles on there trucks that its not a mistake to get another one.

I understand i can do maintenance myself but eventually it will have to go to Ford and i have had horrible experiences at every service. While under warranty i don't think a private mechanic would be able to do any warranty repairs, and most of them don't know the engine like a ford tech. 15,000 mile oil changes are the only reason i would swap for a dodge to be honest. Anybody in a ford go 15,000 between changes, it just doesn't seem smart imo.

#17 ·
I'd get rid off it if it was mine. Maybe the next one wont be a lemon. I use mine too, didn't bought to look good sitting in the garage. Mine is only a 2015 but I have just over 34 000 miles on it with no issues.

#22 ·
I say this with peace and love...anyone who chooses a truck based on factory oil change intervals is N-U-T-S. :banging:[/QUOTE]

or goes on a rampage about someone suggesting that it is quite economical and quicker to change your own oil and filters. not to mention the convenience , cost and flexibility.

#23 ·
3 days they kept your truck for a oil change?

Not purposely insulting you but If this is true, that would be your fault. No one would keep my truck for 3 days or even 2 hours for a oil change.

If a date and time is set for service of oil change, then 45 minutes later I'm looking for my truck.

In the future don't let someone do that to you, thats not correct!

#27 · (Edited)
why argue with that logic, 3 days for a scheduled oil changes is completely my fault. I have tried 5 (FIVE) different dealerships.... im done its no use.

I find it odd that im the only one with all these problems. yes every manufacture makes lemons but i have not been able to get any response from ford, i could sell it but then its somebody else's problem truck and that sucks for them.

The purpose of the poll was to find out if i replace this with another ford. Once again i did not come here to beat up on ford on a ford forum just trying to educate myself.

Still blows my mind that nobody from ford wants to talk to me.

And thanks for the English lesson professor i'll get right on fixin that.

#25 ·
i think this has run its course but i will say trade it and be done some trucks are just lemons. no rhyme or reason they just come out that way from the factory.
after the fiasco ford went through with the epa and the 6.0 they are not as quick to stand behind their products as they used to be in IMHO. they stupidly refused to learn from their mistakes and it almost cost them everything so now instead of backing things and making it right they are less likely to honor warranty issues :tard: face it the higher highers never learn
sounds like you were "lucky" enough to get one. IF i had that many problems with my truck when i was working 7 days a week. I would have gotten i of it by now.

P.S. the edit button things was a gleaming example of truth and beauty for all to behold... :nod:
especially any who have ever had to translate one of MY posts :tard:

#26 ·
I just think its really odd how you are having all these problems. I have a 2003 6leaker that has never ever failed me. The truck is ran at least 12+ hours a day, has pulled all of its life, has over a million miles, does nothing but sit in high idle in the cold Montana winters and when im shopping or whatever. It is always running and ive never had any problems other than the usual 6.0 stuff. Sell her dude, buy a 6.0 and do it right.

Reactions: john galt
#28 ·
What actually has gone wrong with your truck? All i hear is CEL this and CEL that. Whats the problem? I've never heard of the jackhammer valve issue on the 11 trucks, normally its the disintegrating valve issue:rofl:

I've put almost 30k on my '15 in less than a year. Other than the platform being a bit long in the tooth vs the competition its the best truck I've owned, and I've had a few, including the modern competition...

Jason

#39 · (Edited)
A Constant vibration can be felt from the truck from 20 mph to 70. Installed new wheels, tires, carli pintop, steering stabilizer, balanced, rotated, aligned over 10 times. Still vibrates.
I will not carry doors or windows because i have broken glass because of the vibration.

The frame twists, left a dent in my tailgate. It twists so bad i cannot open the tailgate at 2 property's i service and there are no other spots to park in. Search youtube for frame twist between the big 3 there's a big discrepancy
Coolant system leaks requiring new hoses.

The check 4x4 light comes on everytime i switch into 4 low and the transfer case makes a grinding noise when first shifting. (ford is unable to reproduce)

The rear differential was making a clicking sound so they had to tear that apart, all new fluid and it seems to be quiet now.

Replaced the NOX sensor.

Trailer connection was going in and out and not allowing the electric brakes to work, replaced the 7 pin connection.

Brake rotors were warped and needed to be replaced.

New fuel pump

New water pump

All 4 Egt sensors have been replaced.

I turn my a/c on and the heater goes on high fan, full heat and will not turn off till the motor shuts off, then resets and the a/c usually works when the truck restarts.

Reductant heater/ sender assemble failed ( 10 days to repair)

Low coolant light came on and truck began to run warmer than usual, new coolant flush

Mirrors don't extend when i'm towing, had to replace the switch.

Check engine light has been on at least 10 times, mostly for coolant related issues. Sometimes the light goes out before it gets to the dealer and they don't have a clue whats the problem.

I change my oil and fuel filter every 5,000 yes thats over kill and a waste of money but after one check engine light for the fuel filter i didnt want to take that chance anymore. I ask my service adviser every time what else does it need, i don't care what it costs do it so that cel stays off.

#34 · (Edited)
Mods, its time to stick a fork in this one...

ON EDIT: I do have to thank Patriot for teaching me a new word.

adjective: indecorous
not in keeping with good taste and propriety; improper.

synonyms: improper, unseemly, unbecoming, undignified, immodest, indelicate, indecent, unladylike, ungentlemanly

#36 ·
Not even going to touch this with a 10 ft pole... I sure as hell am going to keep reading though :look:

#38 ·
Patriot... Patriot... Patriot... Patriot...

WE DEMAND AN ENCORE!!!!

Reactions: Patriot
#41 · (Edited)
Holy crap 8000lb...that's quite the list of truck troubles. A vast array of issues on all ends of the rig...very strange. Usually if you get a lemon it's one or two plaguing failures that cannot be fixed at the dealer.

I don't know what's going on with your truck, but I'm curious to know how many of those service tickets are because you tell the advisor to fix anything they can find, without caring about costs...that's like winning the lottery to a service advisor who gets commission on every ticket he writes up.

Best of luck getting that damn thing fixed. You've been a member on here since 2013...but have very few posts. If you buy another Ford, keep us in the loop if/when things go wrong...so we can be of more help. Real-time advice on here is pretty good when **** hits the fan.

Oh yeah, and please stay the f&&k away from bridges! :thud:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.