Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Diesel Fuel Additives

6K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Andy2015F250 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some advice from the forum on whether or not to add diesel fuel additives to my 6.7. I was adding Ford Cetane and BG products to my '08 6.4.

Any advice.

#4 ·
The only additive I've seen make a difference in my truck is stanadyne. I tried diesel kleen, howe's, and a couple cetane boosters from the big names ( BG and CRC that I remember). Stanadyne raised my MPG and the miles between regens, which most of the others had the opposite effect. Just my 2 cents.

#8 ·
I've been using Opti-Lube for years. Mostly because it came in as one of the best for lubrication in the 2007 study. I suspect that others have improved their formulas since then and maybe as good or even better. Who knows, There have been no new test since.

Their summer blend bumps the Cetane and Lubrication and is very cost effective, The XPD product is better for the winter since it adds Anti-gel and it bumps the price a little.

The Ford product gives you either Cetane boost or Anti-Gel. Not both, So it kinda doesn't fit my needs here in the mountain states.

There are a lot of folks who never add anything. Run straight diesel from the pump and seems to do just fine. So any additive is personal preference more than a You gotta have it product.

#9 ·
Another for Stanadyne. Been using it since my LLY Duramax, never any problems. A big plus, it is now easy to get at AutoZone and Adavanced Auto Parts.

Cale

#14 ·
I know I have a 6.0 but im having great luck with RP Maxtane....

#15 ·
Another here for Stanadyne
I run the performance additive until November when the temps tarts to drop to below 40 Degrees here then i switch to the winter blend until around march.
Also about 4 times a year i run the injector cleaner fluid thru.
I like that all there products are compatible with each other, so no need to run a tank or two between switching additives. and i can run the cleaner along with the other type.
can't say any thing about milage change as since the first tank i put in my 2015 I've run it every fill up.

#16 ·
I'm on the Opi-Lube bus as well and follow a similar schedule as Painted Horse does rotating between Summer+ and XPD. I also like that with a few clicks of the mouse I can get a gallon jug with a pump and two dispensing containers delivered to my doorstep. You can get $4.95 flat rate shipping at Diesel Fuel Lube - Sale on Gallons of Optilube

#17 ·
Thanks fellas. I used Opti Lube in my 6.4 and never had an issue. I'll do some research on Stanadyne.

#18 ·
I have used the Ford Cetane in my 6.0 and my current 6.7. Never had an issue so far.

I think most of what you can buy is pretty good. So, I am not diehard about any particular brand. That said, I would rather use the Ford brand since they cannot claim anything on a third party additive if something were to go wrong during my extended warranty period.

#19 ·
OptiLube Summer
OptiLube XPD in winter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.