Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2012 and 2014 having different engine sounds

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  texaslimeaide 
#1 ·
Hi there.

Me and my father both recently bought used 6.7L PSD's. We love them, neither of us have owned diesels before.
This is probably a weird question but do the 2014's have a different sound to them than the 2012's? When side by side the 2014 sounds more 'diesel-ly', while the 2012 is a more muffled and not so diesel sounding. Just as loud, but harder to tell that there's a diesel engine in there.

#2 ·
how many miles on each? maybe something wrong with one of them? our 2011 with 100k and 2014 with 4k sound the same .. i mean i can't tell the difference

#4 ·
I have a 2012 and its got 138k on it. I've just noticed with 6.7s in general, their sounds are all over the board. Sounds different in regen, sometimes at idle sounds change, loud like an old diesel on a cold morning, then quiet when warmed up. I don't give a second thought to it..they just like to sing different tunes all the time, it seems. May explain this, somewhat....there are so many variables that change the sound of it...EGR cycling, turbo spooling up or down or just sittin there, injector cycles vary, etc.

#5 ·
I have a 2013 F250 personal truck and drive a 2014 F350 dually work truck. The work truck sounds terrible compared to my personal truck. I know work uses B20 biodiesel all the time except winter then they use full dino fuel with no bio. I use diesel additive every other tank religiously. My truck is quiet and smooth with lots of power compared to the noisy and weak work truck. Mine has 50k and sounds like new but the work truck has 15k and sounds almost like the 2000 model 7.3s when you step on the throttle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.