Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Tough Decision..

8K views 63 replies 25 participants last post by  Ken2014 
#1 ·
I tried to make a decision earlier in the year, but I'm still driving my 14 year old pickup undecided which new truck to purchase. These trucks cost way too much to be make a poor decision without a lot of research, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible from opinions to make a good educated guess. haha

Ford Pros:
Highest TQ/HP claims for 2015/2016 model year
Transmission is capable of handling an extra 2-300hp
Lots of room in Cab
I sorta like the plastic finishes as it's easier to scrub when dirty... lol
bench seat configuration is available with cooled seats (advertised at Holiday Ford in Texas)
Straight axle ( I never had a problem with IFS)
AC Vents for the rear passengers (I can't believe GM missed the mark here.)
I personally think the 2011-2016 body style looks awesome
I'm not a fan of exterior looks the upcoming 2017 model so I don't mind paying for an older body style for the next 3 years.
DEF fill up is beside the fuel cap
Steering is lighter and it's seemed to be easier to park
Wife likes the Ford better

Ford Cons:
A little stiffer when unloaded..
Appears to have poorest resale value on craigslist (KY)
Requires long bed for larger fuel tank
Long Term Reliability is still unknown IMO
I'll have to buy a plane ticket to Holiday Ford in TX to get the best deal on a F250/350.

---
---

GMC Pros:
High Resale (in my area)
Good Ride Quality
Better Interior (SLT/Denali)
Larger Fuel Tank w/Short Bed
6.6 Duramax Is Proven To Be Reliable
Transmission does extremely well pulling 6 & 7% grades
Quiet
Two good GM Dealers within 45 minutes from my home

GMC Cons:
I'm not in love with the 2015 exterior design, but I'm really digging the upcoming 2016 GMC (1500) Design.
I know a new body style is coming around the corner and I'm trying to holdout but I needed a better truck yesterday.
No AC Vents for the rear passengers??!?! (my 2001 Silverado has this!!)
I'm a little confused by this but it has the lowest HP/TQ ratings on paper, but I hardly see any Duramax comparisons lose a stock vs stock competition on YouTube... Please correct if I'm wrong...
I was told by several people the transmission is close to being topped out and needs modifying before adding a simple programmer.
DEF Tank looks silly below the truck
Laura Buick GMC is roughly 7 hours away (It's almost silly to fly but then again it's painful to drive 14 hours round trip on a Saturday... :(

Anyone else struggle before making a final decision?:dunno:

See less See more
#2 ·
Test drive, and buy what you like. I'm not brand loyal at all, but chose the ford because I hated the gm interior.

Reactions: Tshull
#3 ·
I've driven a couple of different configurations and really like both, and that's probably the biggest problem. The power felt very similar between the two trucks unloaded, but I didn't get to test either one pulling a load. Thanks for your feedback.

#4 ·
I didn't test the GM under load either. I just wasn't comfortable in it. Probably not a way to judge a truck but for the amount of milage I put on it made the difference.

Reactions: Bear 1 and Ken2014
#5 ·
I just went through all the things you are Ken2014. Before I had test driven any of them I had decided I was buying a GM for the reliability aspect. Then I went and drove all of the big 3 trucks. Turns out after driving them, I like the Ford best (so did my wife and kid). Talked to 2 local mechanics that I've got a good relationship with and trust completely. They both suggested against the Dodge and the 6.0/6.4 Fords. I landed on a 6.7 after taking everything into consideration. Good luck with your decision!

#6 ·
I've stayed with Ford because I think they have the best built trucks on the road. The solid front is a big selling point and IMO the KR and Platinum interiors blow the Denali and High Country out of the water. One thing about the GM short beds, they are smaller than the Ford short beds. Will agree that DEF tank on GMs hangs way too low, I think I saw a site selling skid plates just for that.

Go with what you feel is right, both are tried and true trucks.

#7 ·
The King Ranch and Platinum trucks take me out of my comfort zone. I'd like to keep it under 56k or less for crew cab 4x4.

I just went through all the things you are Ken2014. Before I had test driven any of them I had decided I was buying a GM for the reliability aspect. Then I went and drove all of the big 3 trucks. Turns out after driving them, I like the Ford best (so did my wife and kid). Talked to 2 local mechanics that I've got a good relationship with and trust completely. They both suggested against the Dodge and the 6.0/6.4 Fords. I landed on a 6.7 after taking everything into consideration. Good luck with your decision!
What aspect of the ford stood out to you that the GM couldn't meet? Power , rear cents , friendly dealer?

#8 ·
Interior front & rear was superior in the Ford. Daughter liked the extra space and rear vents, wife and I thought it was just more comfortable. I don't like the DEF under hood on the GM. I like the looks of the Ford better, A LOT BETTER. Honestly, the only thing I liked better with the GM was knowing it had the Duramax/Allsion combo but, after talking/research on 6.7 I feel confident in it.

#17 ·
I believe the extra space, rear ventilation, and more claimed power is what's stopping me from purchasing a Duramax. Thanks again for sharing your opinion.

And say what you want about the Duamaxes reliability, Ford has had the 6.7, 6.4, 6.0, and 7.3 since the 90's. Dodge has had the 12v, 24v, 5.9, and 6.7. Chevy has had 7 versions of the 6.6 Duramax since 2001. Thats a version for every 2 years of service. (I only throw that out there because the GM boys love to tout that the 6.6 has been around since 2001 but never admit all the different versions of that motor its had, as much as Ford and Ram combined.....)

Correction, 6 versions, one never saw light of day....But that still doesnt include the 6.2 and 6.5 diesels they had in the '90s.
I like the LLY,LBZ,LMM,LML engines and most (even those with a previous injector issues) love them too. I don't keep up with Dodge but majority of my friends with those trucks have cost them money out of pocket on random items that I can't imagine breaking under normal use.

My XLT configured as I wanted (could afford) was 56K. I did some research on pricing and saw the Costco plan gave me $3600 off and there were $4K incentives at that time. When I was ready to order, did the Costco submission, but the incentives were only $1K so I told the dealer I needed $8,000 off to make the purchase. 15 minutes later it was done with no argument. Made me think I could have gotten 9-10K off, but they were happy and I was happy. After making the first payment to Ford Credit, I refinanced with my credit union and saved on the payments.
I e-mailed a dealer a few months ago and threw out a low ball offer to an online chat representative and about 5 minutes later they agreed. I love when a deal falls into place quickly without all the haggling. I've been checking their lot for slightly used F250's in hopes to purchase another vehicle with 4000 miles under KBB low trade in value with a full warranty intact.

Why fly out to TX when you can drive to MI to get the same price if not better and support the vendors on here?
I would still have to Fly to Michigan. :(

The King Ranch and Platinum trucks take me out of my comfort zone. I'd like to keep it under 56k or less for crew cab 4x4.

You'd be surprised how discounted they are right now. My king ranch was 69,900 sticker with absolutely everything available... which is insane but anyways. I was out the door under 57 with taxes on it.

It seems the higher the trim and options, the more the discount is. Hope that helps. I found GM didn't have huge discounts but i never got serious enough to negotiate...

Thank you! I'm still surfing the net for the lowest prices.
^^ Exactly ^^^ If you're not getting $9-13K+ off of MSRP, you're losing out. Feel bad for the guys who pay nearly MSRP...then complain about resale values. Pay $51K for a $64K MSRP and your resale is in much better shape!
Where did you purchase your truck? Please PM if you don't want to advertise it publicly. I'd love to get 13k off sticker!!

I have my 2011 6.7L paid off and was looking at possibly buying a new truck last year, went and test drove a 15' GMC 3500 crew cab long bed Duramax, thought the interior was WAY better than previous interior design. Lots of new features. As for power was not impressed. Only other thing I liked was the aggressive down shifting, with exhaust brake and tow haul mode on. It was also more comfortable riding than the previous generation, 11-14' years. Anyways decided to wait. My dad bought a 16' crew cab lariat dually 6.7L Powerstroke 2 months ago, and my opinion is it twice as comfortable as the 2015 GMC. Not to mention noticible power increase over the GMC.
Now I'm debating getting a 16' or waiting to see if Ford's 17' body's grow on me.
Thanks!! I was really hoping for some first hand comparisons between the 2015/6 ford and GM twins.

#9 ·
FWIW, Ford resale value is going to dip a little BECAUSE the new truck has been announced. Personally, I am waiting until I can order one to get a new one for my company. One is that I do like the way they look on interior and exterior, 2. and this is the big one, if it has the power it is rumored to, it will come from the factory stronger than my chipped 6.0, stronger than a chipped 6.4 AND be reliable power. I will have no need to put the extras in it for the extra power. The biggest downside of GM I think you missed is indeed the lack of power. The 6.6 does have its issues, but honestly, draw the power rating back on the 6.7 and that would be a lifetime engine I would imagine. Ford and Fiat(Excuse me Dodge, ahhh no dangit Ram) do push the limits with their power.

Example...Ford 2.1 ft/lb of torque and 1.07 horsepower per cubic inch.
Chevy is 1.8 ft/lb of torque and .98 horsepower per cubic inch.

Thats alot of difference when you are talkin 400+ cubic inches.(the Chevy is 403 The ford is 409). Just food for thought.....And the gas mileage is so similar you can say for has better MPGs per cubic inch as well.

#10 · (Edited)
And say what you want about the Duamaxes reliability, Ford has had the 6.7, 6.4, 6.0, and 7.3 since the 90's. Dodge has had the 12v, 24v, 5.9, and 6.7. Chevy has had 7 versions of the 6.6 Duramax since 2001. Thats a version for every 2 years of service. (I only throw that out there because the GM boys love to tout that the 6.6 has been around since 2001 but never admit all the different versions of that motor its had, as much as Ford and Ram combined.....)

Correction, 6 versions, one never saw light of day....But that still doesnt include the 6.2 and 6.5 diesels they had in the '90s.

Reactions: waggonerj
#11 ·
I pulled one thing from your statement. Due to the old homage as a happy wife equals a happy life. so "Wife likes the Ford better" is your answer!

#12 ·
My XLT configured as I wanted (could afford) was 56K. I did some research on pricing and saw the Costco plan gave me $3600 off and there were $4K incentives at that time. When I was ready to order, did the Costco submission, but the incentives were only $1K so I told the dealer I needed $8,000 off to make the purchase. 15 minutes later it was done with no argument. Made me think I could have gotten 9-10K off, but they were happy and I was happy. After making the first payment to Ford Credit, I refinanced with my credit union and saved on the payments.

Reactions: Ken2014
#13 ·
Why fly out to TX when you can drive to MI to get the same price if not better and support the vendors on here?

#16 ·
I have my 2011 6.7L paid off and was looking at possibly buying a new truck last year, went and test drove a 15' GMC 3500 crew cab long bed Duramax, thought the interior was WAY better than previous interior design. Lots of new features. As for power was not impressed. Only other thing I liked was the aggressive down shifting, with exhaust brake and tow haul mode on. It was also more comfortable riding than the previous generation, 11-14' years. Anyways decided to wait. My dad bought a 16' crew cab lariat dually 6.7L Powerstroke 2 months ago, and my opinion is it twice as comfortable as the 2015 GMC. Not to mention noticible power increase over the GMC.
Now I'm debating getting a 16' or waiting to see if Ford's 17' body's grow on me.

#18 ·
I have a 2015 Ford F450 pickup, non-commercial. The Ford was my choice because I have an 18,000 lb (unloaded), 48' toy hauler. This truck has the power, brakes, transmission and everything else I need to be able to pull my trailer across the country. Chevrolet doesn't offer a truck that can pull like the Ford can, in my opinion. Ford has an outstanding GVWR in comparison to the Chevy. Ram was my other option, but the HP and reliability of the Ford won, as well as the stronger transmission without buying into the Ram "upgrades".

I wouldn't worry about re-sale value. You are driving a 14 year old truck right now, and you will be driving any one of these trucks that long because they are all a great choice!

#21 ·
The other thing not mention is the safety of these SD's

I believe there is a post on here where someone talks about the SD saved his life from a very bad wreck, he was able to walk away and swears he will always buy a SD because of that.

#22 ·
I will second that after my father rolled his '05. Took it very well.

#23 ·
TBH, the GMC/Chevys are just not fun to pull lots of weight in. I test drove a 2014 3500 Denali and it just don't pull like the 6.7 I did not feel confident at all. Its very jumpy too for being a heavy duty dully..

#25 ·
I'm having a hard time finding a CCLB Lariat ultimate package with front bench seats now. I really want the larger capacity fuel tank to avoid the pumps as much as possible. I need to stay with the 3:55 rear end correct? I noticed one of the trucks I looked at had a highway rear end which probably helped fuel economy but I'm afraid it will hunt for gears pulling near 13k.

#33 ·
If you get one with the center console, I will gladly swap out my center jump seat for the console with you! :nod:

#26 ·
The Ford Super Duty is ranked #1 on the Federal Governments list of vehicles that crush other vehicles in a severe crash because of their size and design. They see it as a very unfair disadvantage to the drivers of cars. This also means that its an unfair advantage to the occupants of the Super Duty. Sound like bad news for Prius drivers. Good news for us.

#27 ·
I would like to see that list!

#29 · (Edited)
Okay here it is. Super Duty is #1 in causing damage, and protecting passengers.
There was a Governmental list, but this one is from Pickups .com and is basically the same.
I don't know if there is actually a dimes worth of difference between any of the big three trucks. They are all bigger than any passenger car on the road. The old saying "Size Matters" applies here.

This Just In: Laws of Physics Still Apply - PickupTrucks.com News

#31 ·
About the 3.55 gears, the 6R140 is geared very aggressively. I too was worried about them as i really wanted 3.73's as they are the perfect compromise gear. But with how much deeper the trans is geared vs the old 5R110 it pulls like it wants to yank the hitch off the back of the truck.

I've had 14k behind my 6.7 and you know you're pulling some weight, anyone who says their truck pulls/accelerated with 10k+ behind them "like it isnt there", there opinion isnt worth hearing. But, you will not be wanting for more power merging onto the highway if you're a reasonably person, it may actually amuse you how hard it will still accelerate and how well the transmission still snaps through gears despite lots of throttle and weight being put through it.

Once in the hills with a bunch of weight, just knock it into 5th gear, the engine is so quiet the extra RPM's arent noticeable, keep the RPMs around 2k and it has obsurd power and a very effective exhaust brake for the descent and wont be going in/out of 6th gear all the time. All the new trucks are very eager to drop from 6th gear. You can put the truck in truck Manual mode and it'll hold the selected gear no matter what, so thats an option also.

I went back and forth between the Ford and Denali and ended up with the Ford due to counting on the in my experience, vastly superior component and build quality of the Ford cab and truck vs the GM brand. If going by looks and first impressions alone, the Denali is a damn nice truck, but i just cant quite trust GM(i do truck the LML/Allison combo all day) on the quality of the "guts" of the truck you hopefully never see and only notice when they quit working.

Oh, and for the record, Fords cruise control is still complete crap in the hills towing something. GM has everyone beat in that department.

Jason

#32 ·
I had a 2012 Chevrolet 2500, loved the duramax engine and allison transmission combination, what I hated was the vibration at highway speeds. Test drove the truck prior to purchasing but never drove at highway speeds. After two years of fighting with GM with changing tires and just relentless time off of work to take back to the dealer I traded the truck in for the Ford. Smooth as glass on the highway and very happy with this vehicle.
If buying a GM do some research at the duramax forums and drive it at highway speed to ensure the one that is being purchased does not have the vibration issue.

#34 ·
I almost put a deposit down over the phone with a dealer who currently has an 2014 SLE CCSB 4x4 with 12,000 miles for 39,500, but the salesman was a little too pushy over the phone for my taste. The price stood out because it books for 47,999 according to KBB. Then I remembered XLT's are around 45k brand new, so I'm glad my senses kicked in. I haven't been in a Chevy/GMC with the highway vibration to date, but according to some of the message boards it's a legitimate possibility.

About the 3.55 gears, the 6R140 is geared very aggressively. I too was worried about them as i really wanted 3.73's as they are the perfect compromise gear. But with how much deeper the trans is geared vs the old 5R110 it pulls like it wants to yank the hitch off the back of the truck.

I've had 14k behind my 6.7 and you know you're pulling some weight, anyone who says their truck pulls/accelerated with 10k+ behind them "like it isnt there", there opinion isnt worth hearing. But, you will not be wanting for more power merging onto the highway if you're a reasonably person, it may actually amuse you how hard it will still accelerate and how well the transmission still snaps through gears despite lots of throttle and weight being put through it.

Once in the hills with a bunch of weight, just knock it into 5th gear, the engine is so quiet the extra RPM's arent noticeable, keep the RPMs around 2k and it has obsurd power and a very effective exhaust brake for the descent and wont be going in/out of 6th gear all the time. All the new trucks are very eager to drop from 6th gear. You can put the truck in truck Manual mode and it'll hold the selected gear no matter what, so thats an option also.

I went back and forth between the Ford and Denali and ended up with the Ford due to counting on the in my experience, vastly superior component and build quality of the Ford cab and truck vs the GM brand. If going by looks and first impressions alone, the Denali is a damn nice truck, but i just cant quite trust GM(i do truck the LML/Allison combo all day) on the quality of the "guts" of the truck you hopefully never see and only notice when they quit working.

Oh, and for the record, Fords cruise control is still complete crap in the hills towing something. GM has everyone beat in that department.

Jason
I really appreciate you taking the time to post in my thread.

If you get one with the center console, I will gladly swap out my center jump seat for the console with you! :nod:
I'm starting to believe the center seat is more trouble than it's worth trying to find with leather interior. haha

#35 ·
I wish mine had the center console. I will never use the seat. The center seat storage sucks compared to my 6.0. I got the tan leather interior though.

#37 ·
I may have to take another break looking at trucks to prevent myself from buying one on impulse because I'm tired of searching. I was told Lariat models should be in the 50k price range with leather, but most are 55k+. I heard November is the best time to purchase a new truck, but it seems like the longer I wait the more the price increases... haha decisions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.