Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

crank but no start, and sounds like a 7.3

991 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JasonY 
#1 ·
Over the last few weeks my truck has been acting funny. It has been starting harder. By that I mean a slightly longer crank time than before, maybe a half second. Then once last week it cranked and didn't start, tried it again and it started fine. Then last Friday it failed to start 4 times in a row and on the 5th it started like normal. All of the above have been noticed with the truck already warmed up. Then today (first start of the day) it started fine but when I got a block away from the house it suddenly started sounding just like a 7.3 engine does (not quiet like the 6.7 should be) it lasted for about 5 seconds then went back to running normal. Now I am scared to drive this thing for fear of it stranding me. Has anyone else had any problems like this? The truck is dpf deleted and straight piped and has a no limit intake on it. I am using gear heads tunes which have worked flawlessly for the last 6 months without issue. I do not have the EGR/cooler deleted yet they are just unplugged.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
When it runs, does it have power? Run normally? Any codes for us to go on?

Sounds like it's not getting fuel when it tries to start...wild guess would be lift pump or IP going out...or simply clogged fuel filters.

As far as sounding like a 7.3, that would be the pilot injection cycling off more than likely. why it did it, I do not know, that is not normal. Unless the tune your running is built with retarded pilot injection..some people on the forums have been playing around with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.