Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cracked DPF & how long can I limp it?

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  HLBeef 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago I noticed black tailpipes, so I cleaned them and they came back. Then I realized that the truck puffs smoke when accelerating...black smoke..so I knew the filter was cracked. No big deal I thought, it still regens and it will be fine until I delete next year. Fast forward to today, it still smokes although a bit more, and the DPF load % on my CTS always varies up and down a few points while steady driving, EGT below 572* so I know it's not burning. How long do you think it could run like this? Truck has 138k miles...and I will say that when the DPF load gets to 80-90+%, the truck starts to feel sluggish and unresponsive which leads me to fear it plugging. What is an acceptable exhaust back pressure reading that I can watch on the CTS? And what do you think? It doesn't seem to be a fairly common issue on our trucks, the cracked filter. I'm just nervous...I cannot delete until next year due to $$ situations at the moment..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.