Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What temps are you seeing?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Kubotaorange76 
#1 ·
Finally broke the magical 1000 mile mark and can now do some towing. Next week, plan on heading out with our 16k# 5er and for those of you that haul, what temps are you seeing for trans and engine oil? Coming from the 6.0 world, with this 6.7 I'm seeing (unloaded) much hotter trans temps (over 200* with the 6r140 compared to 160* on the 5r110 in the 6.0s). Even engine temps unloaded I'm seeing 201* unloaded compared to the 6.0 at mid 190s. The 6.7s definitely run hotter than my previous 6.0. Engine oil doesn't bother me that much but I'd love to see that trans temp go down 30*.

So what are you seeing loaded or even unloaded?

#2 ·
You are right there with what I'm seeing. The difference I see is that 201 is the same loaded or unloaded.
Remember, they are filled with 10w30 from manufacturing. If you are towing, you may want to consider dropping the factory fill and starting whatever Xw40 you feel comfortable with.

#3 ·
Thanks @beanoil. I plan on changing to 15-40 prior to a future long haul.

Going to continue to pursue avenues to drive down those trans temps. I'm not sure if there is a thermostat which just keeps the temps high (which I guess means I can do nothing with it) or if better air flow across the trans cooler could be found.

Reactions: beanoil
#7 ·
That's a good question! I have the ForScan app just didn't use it on my last (well first) hauling trip. Have another haul coming up so I'll be using ForScan to monitor a few parameters to acquire a baseline and such. Will report back once I get that data.

#9 ·
I live in "da south" where we don't see many days of temps below 30. As such, I use 15-40 but also will run 5-40 if my hauling schedules run into the winter. When I eventually switch to full synthetic it will be 5-40. Ford recommends 5-40 or 15-40 for severe duty like hauling.

Reactions: gypsees
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.