Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Trailer Blind Spot Coverage and Truck Camper

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Doom 
#1 ·
I've searched everywhere, and have yet to have this question come up. So, planning to trade 17' Raptor in on 17 F450 to full time with family in Lance 1172 truck camper. I had same camper '16 on Ram 3500 and the camper covers rear taillights. Can anyone confirm if the trailer blind spot coverage will work with a camper on truck? It looks like on my Raptor the blind spot is possibly coming from the side of tail lights and maybe could still work?

#2 ·
Since no one else has replied I will try. I would say it will NOT work due to the fact your whole tail light will be blocked by the extended part of the camper hanging over. From how I understand it works the tail light has radar sensor built into them so it would need a clear path to work. I am no expert but think you will be out of luck.

#4 ·
The BLIS sensor appears to be somewhat "looking" out the side, as well. When I connect a trailer it turns it off, though. I think it'd depend on how much of the rear view is obstructed.

#5 ·
With our Adventurer 116DS on our F-350 CCLB DRW with blind spot detection it does not work chiefly because once the camper umbilical is plugged in the management system on the truck disables BLIS because it detects a trailer. Parking aids are also disabled for the same reason. As an experiment I unplugged the umbilical, restarted the truck, and everything came back with the side effect that parking aid of course went off because the camper was right behind the rear bumper. I have not tried overriding anything yet.

What I would really like to get working is a camera on the back of the camper tied into the existing camera system. I ordered one but it came with the wrong connector on the end. I might try to source the correct connector from Ford and rewire what I ended up with. I would also LOVE to be able to use the cab mounted camera when loading the camper; that would be very helpful. I might try to fake out the trailer assist feature to see if I can do that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.