Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Torque numbers first three gears.

8K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  nlvmike 
#1 ·
Still waiting for my '17 to arrive. It's going to be on the boat next week and after a two week trip and a week of waiting for the approval I searched around for the torque numbers in the first 3 gears, does anyone know them.

Like the dually I want the full momentum, can this be done to the srw setup.

#2 ·
I have no clue what you mean by "torque numbers first 3 gears"

#3 ·
He's looking for the available torque in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear on the new trucks. Ford only lists the maximum 925lbs which is available in 4th, 5th, and 6th gears. So far its been hush-hush. I doubt they limited it to less than the 860lbs on previous generation.

#4 ·
I've never heard of this before (different gears rated differently). Where does Ford publish this info? And are the lower gears typically rated higher?

#5 ·
I read somewhere, been looking for the article, that full torque was limited in 1st gear for sure but became fully available in 2nd. Will continue to look for that article.

#8 · (Edited)
same thing, generally, that any other "sport" mode does. crisper
shifts, a bit more agressive fuel mapping, etc...

Q: Do I get the full 925 lb-ft of torque right away?

A: No. The torque is derated in first several gears in order to prolong tire life. The torque multiplication due to low gears is too great and you can easily spin the tires. The single rear wheel trucks are torque limited in first three gears, and then you get the full torque in fourth and above. The dually F-350 and F-450 are torque limited in first gear. Once you get full torque, it’s available for the duration of the acceleration/climb.

thought this was interesting, too...

Q: Which truck configuration provides the maximum payload capacity?

A: The maximum payload rating is 7,630 lbs and it comes from the F-350 single cab XL dually 2WD with the 6.2L gasoline V8.

#9 ·
I am so chomping at the bit for this '17 to arrive! Coming from a stock 6.0, looks like I'll be gaining 65% more torque and 35% more HP. No wonder why they limit torque in 1st gear on a DRW! The 6.0 handled our 16k# 5er with ease.....this '17 should toy with it.

#11 ·
Having a DRW, I can say it shifts quicker than I can keep track off. Its in third before I realize its shifted. I do have a BD-Diesel thottle sensitivity adjuster set to 50% increase. Still taking it easy with it, yet its thrown me into the seat already, much like my 6.0.

#12 ·
I've been hearing about this limited torque in the low gears. I haven't noticed, because, as my kids say, I drive like a grandpa. Yesterday I was following someone and had to make a quick exit out of parking lot to grab a hole in the traffic. I stepped on it and smoked the tires. It feels like endless power. FYI, it is a SRW with 3.53 gearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.