Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Replacement Bumper

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  john galt 
#1 ·
Hit door deer with my 17 KR F-350 last night. Truck took it pretty well, will need grill pieces, a few plastic fascia pieces, and fog light. However I will be putting a replacement bumper on it not to avoid this again. Looked at Fab Fours and Ranch Hand. Like the styling but not wanting something as bulky or that sticks out as far. Any suggestions that you guys have seen?

#3 ·
Has anyone put one of these bumpers on a truck that has the radar box up front? It would be nice if they could neatly mount it with a sheet of bullet proof glass to protect it.

#5 ·
Statistically, I live in the worst area of the United States for hitting deer. Around here everyone, and I mean EVERYONE has hit one or more. The Ranch Hand bumper isn't popular around here, but if it will take the impact of a White Tail and the truck will sustain "no damage", I need to seriously be looking into one of these bumpers.

I do have a question. With a Ranch Hand bumper, when you're running 55 mph (or more) and hit a deer, does the truck sustain any frame damage. My apologies to the OP. I don't mean to derail your thread here.

Reactions: john galt
#6 ·
I have never had frame damage. There is a lower bar on the ranch hand down low by where the license plate goes I have slightly bent when hitting deer at highway speeds but that is it. I have had a couple of deer bounce off the sides of the pickup and cause minor damage. The last deer I hit did that. There was actually a herd of them that ran out in front of me and one ran into the side of my truck. I don't think I even hit it with the front of the truck.

The fastest I ever hit a deer I was running 80mph on interstate 10 at 3 in the morning and came over a little hill and a deer was standing in my lane. I didn't have time to slow down or swerve before impact and I didn't stop to check it out I just kept driving. No damage to my truck.

I was even in an accident one time where I was on a rural highway going 70. A lady in a F-150 checked her mail and did a u turn right in front of me. I jammed the brakes hard and swerved but still hit her. I barely hit her with the front corner of my truck. It didn't hurt my ranch hand at all but her truck had to be towed from the scene.

Again I don't but them for looks but man they do the job.

#8 ·
That's impressive! 80 mph and no damage,,, wow! The fastest I've ever hit a deer is 92 mph in a police cruiser. The speed was verified on my radar at impact. Needless to say it was a mess.

Before I get admonished for speeding in a police car, I was responding to a shooting. Needless to say, I didn't make it to the call.

#7 ·
Most of them stick out a good deal due to the winch holder. Fusion is the closest iv'e found to factory length but you don't have a winch holder if wanted.

You can also check out the new Road Armor series or ADD Bumpers but they're pretty pricey.

#9 ·
Check out the MAGNUM Truck Gear Bumper! We sell a bunch of them at our shop. I have had 5 of them on different trucks and just ordered one for our new dually that we are building for Sema! Around $1250, built in AZ. and tough as hell! Easy to install! They also have a mount for the cruise control sensor!

#10 · (Edited)
I know my truck is old compared to a 17 but i picked this up the other day for deer annihilation.
we have far more deer than people where i live and as was said earlier everyone hits a deer, at least once.

my worst was at 70 in my old truck and it took the grill bumper fender and brake caliper :doh:
damn thing put his head down to challange me at the last second and one antler went through the wheel and bent one of the pins on my caliper :(

my buddy just nailed on in his new 16 with less than 5k on the clock a couple months ago
and i wanted a winch and haven't seen many ARB bumpers on superduties so i went with it and while blessedly i have not hit a deer with it i like it :thumb:

#14 ·
me too havent seen the defender until now...
that would have been high on my list to consider.

Reactions: broncobilly_69
#15 ·
honestly...the main factors that effected my decision were
i had never seen an arb on a full size truck and i liked the look of them
reunell (spelling?) was bought out by someone in oregon and the price more than doubled and it seemed like quality was deminished
trail ready was more than i could really afford to drop
and last BUT NOT LEAST!
i got a deal for about a thousand bucks less than just about anything else i liked :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.