Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Platinum vs other luxury packages.

12K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  Boudah 
#1 ·
I like the Platinum model but I am wondering if I have any dealer options to remove the silver platinum trim piece on the tailgate that comes with the platinium. What would I be giving up by just ordering a spec'd out Lariat?

Thanks,

#3 ·
Probably about $5000.00 less.
Doug

#4 · (Edited)
If you want your tailgate to look similar to this...

#5 ·
My last truck was a Lariat Ultimate plus a bunch of stuff. I think the only things I missed out vs. Platinum was chrome package, which I definitely was trying to avoid, heated steering wheel, tailgate trim, platinum emblems down the side of the bed, and heated rear seats. The new ones I think you'd be missing massaging front seats as well. And power running boards.

I'm debating if I should do a Lariat Ultimate again or a Platinum, because I do like the grille and we've had a few heated steering wheels and love them. But the cost difference loaded up is still a few grand...and I'm not down with massaging seats and don't really need heated rear seats. Tough. But until the rebates get stronger I'll be waiting anyway.

I did see a 2017 KR (which has a silver trim piece now too, but a bit different than Platinum) with the trim piece painted, except the lines in the center and the running w brand logo. Looked awesome.

#7 ·
Simply go on Ford.com and build them. Also you could take a look at the owner's manual and see attached below. But I believe it's massaging seats and power running boards. And those are the two things I would have optioned on my Lariat if they were available. But I didn't want some of the other options that come standard on the Platinum nor did I want the price tag.

Platinum, Lariat, XLT, XL, King Ranch are trim levels

Ultimate, Value, Snow Plow, Camper, Chrome, etc are packages.

You guys that on insist on putting packages behind your trim levels "I have a Platinum Ultimate" maybe you should list all the packages you have:

"I have a Platinum Ultimate Chrome Camper 'Heavy Service Front Suspension' 'Snow Plow Prep' 'Tow Technology' '5th Wheel/Gooseneck Hitch Prep' 'Small Penis' and get 18 mpg."

Attachments

Reactions: jbtrahan
#11 ·
Platinum, Lariat, XLT, XL, King Ranch are trim levels

Ultimate, Value, Snow Plow, Camper, Chrome, etc are packages.

You guys that on insist on putting packages behind your trim levels "I have a Platinum Ultimate" maybe you should list all the packages you have:
Because no one is trying to list all of the packages they have, how much time and space would that take up on every thread? Everyone here knows that a Lariat is a trim and an Ultimate is a package. It's far easier to identify your trim plus Ultimate...most of us get that. :taze:

#8 ·
I ended up going with the Lariat Ultimate, and loading it with all the options, because to me the Platinum is just too gaudy. The only thing I wish I could have added, that I couldn't, is the massaging seats. I think the leather in the Platinum is a little nicer, and the leather in the KR (also gaudy badging to me), I think is even nicer than that. Plus, I wanted chrome bumpers, since I think thhey are more durable than the paint to match ones.

I did end up adding Platinum wheels after I got it.

Attachments

#9 ·
I ended up going with the Lariat Ultimate, and loading it with all the options, because to me the Platinum is just too gaudy. The only thing I wish I could have added, that I couldn't, is the massaging seats. I think the leather in the Platinum is a little nicer, and the leather in the KR (also gaudy badging to me), I think is even nicer than that. Plus, I wanted chrome bumpers, since I think thhey are more durable than the paint to match ones.

I did end up adding Platinum wheels after I got it.
The painted bumpers are easily protected by having clear bra put over them. I did this on my 2015 Denali and didn't even have a nick in them after two years.
Non issue for sure.

#28 ·
for the $73,000 price tag on the truck I looked at at our dealer that was not a lariat, but an upgraded xlt, I will keep throwing money in my 6.0.:rofl:

#30 ·
I paid $10k less than that for my Lariat. I loved my 6.0 but I needed reliability for towing. The 6.0 was an awesome, powerful, fast, beast and it towed great as well. But I had put so much money into it and continued to (either repairs, maint, or just mods which aren't necessary :) ). It was time. I need to hook up and go whenever I want and not worry if I'll make it to my destination.

Reactions: jd4010 and gone6.0
#34 ·
Please clarify. When you priced out a Lariat with the ultimate package or a Platinum with the ultimate package? There is no "Ultimate". I'm assuming you are saying you would choose a Platinum over a Lariat with the ultimate package.

#36 ·
wow this thread blew up.

So it sounds like it may be easier just to buy a Platinum and then either vinyl wrap the plaque or do a tailgate swap. Im sure a Lariat ultimate tailgate has all the same camera's etc as the Platinum and should be a easy swap, right?

Thanks!

#37 ·
LOL

So, you don't like the badges etc. on the Platinum.

Ask yourself this: What is it that you want that the Platinum offers that you can't get with a Lariat? Is it worth the additional cost to you?

A tailgate swap should be possible, but expensive unless you find a Lariat owner with the same color paint to swap with. There is a camera and a light in the tailgate. And then there is the option of the tailgate step.

For me I had a budget and a wife that was going to make me stick to it. :) After I sat and thought about what I really need and want, and not what would be cool to have or say I have, I was able to start eliminating things. I built the truck over and over on the Ford website. I sold the wife on a few things and she talked me out of some others. That's how we do things, keep each other in check. Now, if you don't care about price and want everything, then that's easy. Otherwise, think realistically what you will actually use and can benefit from and decide from there. Good luck!

Reactions: warhammer
#40 ·
I was torn between a hard loaded Lariat, and a Platinum. I had a 2015 Platinum a year ago, and felt that the slightly better leather wasn't all that much better. I also HATED the chrome badging. I learned to love the tailgate panel. I ended up selling it, and buying another loaded Lariat. When I ordered my new one, the only thing I couldn't seem to get with a hard loaded Lariat was the seat massagers - something I didn't want or need. I also specifically wanted the Magnetic Grey color, and I don't think it was offered in the Platinum (it never was in the past, so I assume that hasn't changed). My 350 SRW was delivered last week, and I couldn't be happier - Ultimate Package, Tow Technology Package, power boards, LED lighting package, and a few other things I'm forgetting I'm sure.

#41 ·
I am picking up my platinum in a day or two. Lots of great feedback so far. For me it was easy... I wanted most of the features the platinum offers plus I get a new truck for tax right off purposes every 2-3 years and the platinum will be easier to sell. I sold my 2015 GMC Denali in less than a week for top dollar where there are a TON of the loaded SLT's that have been sitting for quite a while. Coming from the Denali which has the best leather seats I've seen I can appreciate the better leather found on the platinum. There are a ton of loaded Lariats on dealers lots here but they just can't keep the platinums on the lot for more than a few days.
Both great trucks just a matter of what a guy wants.

#42 ·
I went down and looked at a bunch of trucks at one of my local dealers. I wanted the white tri coat met color and they had about 3 on the lot. One was a platinum the others were the lariat. I narrowed it down to the platinum and a fx4 Lariat with ultimate package. They pretty much had the same options but I liked the black leather in the fx4 over the light tan color in the platy. I got every option under the moon and the colors I wanted so I did not order I just made a deal on the fx4 and off I went. The platinum was a few grand more..Msrp on mine was $73k got it OTD for $68k and very happy with it only has about 300 miles on her, looking forward to a long term relationship with this truck. Finally :)

#44 ·
Ya they were not willing to give a 7 yr 100k warranty for $68k OTD for the platinum even tho the msrp was close.. So $9k off msrp and a 100k full wrap warranty for $68k otd is pretty good here in CA . I'm sure some will and can do better , You maybe right on the interior there was another lariat there I glimpsed at. I wish they had a light grey interior option but I gotta say the black looks pretty dang good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.