Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Plasti dip mirror covers

7K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Hash Brown 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like it came out pretty good. I've been thinking of doing the same thing to mine to match the black paint on my truck. What kind of prep did you do/how many coats?

be currious to see how it holds up durability wise, my chome caps seem to be bug magnets.

#4 ·
I just cleaned the caps with glass cleaner and sprayed about 10 lights coats. Plasti dip is about $5 a can. It was much easier than I thought it would be.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: DIGMAR
#5 ·
I'll definitely be doing this one soon... think it will stand up to a pressure washer when spaying down the truck or is it easily peeled off?

#16 ·
Thanks! Just go for it, remember that if you don't like it, you can peel it off later. The first couple sprays were nerve racking but its because it feels like something that can't be undone :eek:hnoes: Then you remember and you go to town.

Didn't use the glossifier, but I'm thinking I might give it a try.
I did use the glossifier and it brings out quite a bit of shine. I wish I would have put a few more coats of the glossifier on honestly but it still looks good. It is different than Tuxedo black still but the gloss adds a metallic look.

#10 ·
I love this stuff!!!
I have done my grill wheels badges and much more on my tundra. Wash area good with soap and water dry then wipe with alcohol and spray 3/5 coats with 15 min intervals. Wash with soap and water first week after that pressure wash like normal paint.
I have had it on for over a year got a few rock chips in grill but put a dab of paint thinner on finger rub area of chip to smooth dip and clean an prep like first time then just spray and touch up area.
If your doing badges or something like that mask about an inch from badge on paint. Spray but between coats run a tooth pick around badge an paint so when your done you can rub and peel it right off the pained surface.
nice thing about the dip you don't like it peel it off. Good luck hope this helps

#14 ·
#19 ·
It's fairly close, but the sheen is off. Had a buddy that did his grill and it didn't look good. It works for the mirrors because it doesn't butt up to the factory paint.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.