Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Coldest temps you've run your 6.7 in?

4K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  20046.0 
#1 ·
Just wondering whats the coldest yall have run your trucks in and how they have done? So far the coldest I have had mine in is -15 actual temp with -35 windchill and for sunday through Monday they are talking a high temp of -12 and windchills anywhere from -45 to -60:eek:hnoes::eek:hnoes: coldest northwest iowa has seen in over 25 yrs!!! im not worried though because when it was -15 I didn't have her plugged in and she fired right off love this truck!!!!

This post has been deleted
#2 ·
yep they are :rofl: its because of them we are getting this weather they say its a Canadian front coming through and dang I don't know how they do it!!!! I don't mind down to -5 but holy heck this stuff is tough to work outside in

#4 ·
-45f click the command start and than look it wasn't plugged in like uh oh, open door can hear it running it was -73f with windchill that day. I always plug it in but the gf took it and didn't plug it in but she started with no problem so i was very happy!

#6 ·
-45f click the command start and than look it wasn't plugged in like uh oh, open door can hear it running it was -73f with windchill that day. I always plug it in but the gf took it and didn't plug it in but she started with no problem so i was very happy!
Good god! I thought it was bad here...been at least -10*f at night for the past 10 days or so...can't imagine -45 to start with and windy on top of that.

#5 ·
Yah no problems so far up here in northern alberta and we had -30 to -40 pretty steady last month and a bit. Cold starts without the block heater are usually avoided but worst case scenario it fires up better cold at -40 then the wifes jeep..

#7 ·
Ran today, -30C before the wind, will run again tomorrow -33C before the wind, ran all last week in the mid -20's and will run all next week (actually next 1.5-2 months haha) in the mid -20's.

I like how quick it warms up with the old supplemental heater.

#10 ·
I haven't had any when I was all stock and now that I'm deleted I have no worries. I always run 8 oz of power service( white bottle) in every tank in the winter months and knock on wood have never gelled any vehicle I've had. I also make sure I'm running fuel that is actually blended and not the caseys fuel or fuel from stations that only add an additive

#12 ·
Thanks for the quick response! I just sold my 6.0 that I never really did have to worry with when it came to fuel issues. But I've talked to a few and heard from a few about def freezing up, pump problems, and bad fuel wiping out the pumps or more? Matter of fact I've been looking at getting a job in or toward Iowa/Kentucky. I really want a 6.7 and this is one of those areas that has me a little :eek:hnoes:

#15 ·
DEF will freeze up but thats common, engine coolant is plumbed to the tank to warm in up after truck starts, DEF pump wont start cycling until it sees a certain temp.

#16 ·
I just do not want to go back through the 6.0 blues with a 6.7! I'm not comparing trucks. I want to keep it as stock as possible only because it seemed like the more mods (for pulling) that I did to my truck the worse it got! I've thought about trying to find a good used 7.3 for the reason of no payments. But I'm having a hard time finding a right price and shape one. And I'm not paying 15-20 for a truck with 150K-200k+.

#17 ·
You won't be disappointed with the 6.7 I promise ya that !! Take care of her and she will take care of you. Got a buddy who just bought a wrecked 6.7 and finally got her fixed and running and he has a 6.0 and a 7.3 that he uses to haul cars with and his first pull with the 6.7 he said" wow!!! I'm keeping this truck the power and ride is amazing " look around and you can find a decent 6.7 for under 38k easily with under 70k on her . IMHO it's worth the investment

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#18 ·
Sorry to high jack op. This was just one of a few major worries I had. I found 2 owner crew lariat fx4 that has 84K on it for $30K. I just want a truck that I don't have to worry about every time I get in it if something is going to break. I took very good care of my 6.0 and she still ate my lunch!

#19 ·
No worries on the high jack lol and only thing I'd be worried about is why that low of miles has had 2 owners? I wasn't very impressed with the mileage I got stock I was only getting maybe 16 hwy and 8-10 towing . My mileage started to drop then I started to have dpf issues so I deleted and now I'm seeing around 12.5 towing and I'm seeing around 18.5 hwy in the winter don't know summer mpg yet but I know it'll be better

#21 ·
While I'm not buying this truck for millage. It would be nice to at least get what my 6.0 got. which was 12.5 usually pulling 10k or so. 14ish around the house and town. 19 on long trips!
I have tried to read up on 6.7s, but forgive me when I ask! Is deleting just the dpf? If so, I'm guessing that you have to buy an exhaust and a tuner?

#27 ·
My average fuel economy has been higher ( 2 mpg) all around with my 6.7 over the close to 2 years than it was with my 6.0. I track every tank on an app.

My 6.7 is completely stock and I ran an SCT with IDP tunes on the 6.0. Pretty much identical trucks both crew cab long box f350s with 18 inch wheels. Driving habits haven't changed, tow the same travel trailer with both trucks about 10k.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#22 ·
Yes deleting is the dpf and the urea . I did a spartan tuner, stainless steel straight pipe exhaust and a afe stage 2 air intake. It also shuts off your egr as well . Best $1800 I ever spent on this truck but they are getting harder and more expensive to find. Just ordered the exact same setup for a buddies truck and his cost him around 2400 for the exact same stuff I got !! So if ya do get one I would get the stuff now even if ya don't plan on putting it on right away . Some guys also do a egr delete too. My next purchase is gonna be water/meth injection and maybe a mpd turbo kit but I think for the water/ meth I want to try and use my urea tank for the storage of possible

#23 · (Edited)
do you not worry about future dot inspections? Cost on erg delete?(ball park) That is one thing I do like about 6L. easy to work on!
Btw. 1st owner ended up trading for a 13 I believe. I know the present owner. He's just young and tired of high truck payments.
Also run a report on truck and turned out fine.

#24 · (Edited)
I get a dot inspection every year right now and so far have not had any issues. I do not go across the us though towing I usually stay in Iowa and every now and then I go to Chicago and Grand Rapids michigan to get some things . As far as egr delete I'm not sure I don't plan on doing it because the spartan just shuts it off from my understanding. I thought some where I saw it was around $250 to do it maybe?? Also Iowa does not have emissions testing and the dot inspection isn't like the bigger cities from what I've heard. Mine is a simple check the tires over make sure I have triangles, flares, proper paper work for everyday walk throughs , dot numbers are correct etc etc.. Also I've been through scales a lot and knock on wood never have they said anything usually they always say nice truck this thing sounds like a jet lol

#26 ·
Mine sounds like she is pretty mad to and does a little shake to lol

#29 ·
Guys, it was cold here today. So cold that there was a possibility of small ice on the roads. It was around 32 degrees F today. No joke. I was freezing. Truck started right up without being plugged in...I'd keep typing but my fingers are getting cold inside at my house right now.

#31 ·
I've drove mine in temps low as -36f. With no issues.

Also last winter one morning it was -34f and my truck wasn't plugged in but fired right up and on the info screen it said "do not drive, wait" and there was a countdown starting at 30 sec. Lol

I let it idle for about 15 mins before driving though.

Anyone else experience the "do not drive" message on the info screen?

Like stated above as long as your running winter treated fuel and some gelling additive for extra insurance you shall be good.

#38 ·
Anyone else experience the "do not drive" message on the info screen?
I have seen the message once when it was -23. I read about the timer in the manual so I wasn't really surprised, I just didn't realize a message would pop up when the timer kicked on. Mine was not happy that I didn't plug it in.

While I agree the new diesels are way over the top with emissions equipment, the cold starting abilities have been greatly improved over what diesels used to be.

#33 ·
Every morning here for the last 3 weeks has been -25 to -45. Truck starts and runs fine. Dash says engine warming do not drive. For 30 secs. Also one night i forgot to plug truck in. -43 and it started. Slowly but it went.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.