Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

powder coating bumper color matching

26K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  PolarBear 
#1 ·
I would like to powder coat my new front and rear bumper replacements the stock adobe two tone color.

Does anyone know if there is a powder color out there that would match exactly. I already have a place nearby that can do the work.

Thanks

#4 ·
That is correct. I got aftermarket bumpers that are powder coated black. However my truck is the forrest green adobe two tone so it wouldn't look the best.

I went with the Fab Fours black steel front and the ranch hand legend rear.

According to the ranch hand guy his powder coated only has a desert tan looking color and I should get him to paint them. I was trying to figure out if someone has that adobe color that has a little sparkle to it to match almost exactly and what color code that would be.

I'm meeting with a powder coated here in a couple weeks to see what all he can do.

#6 ·
The quote to paint and powder coat are the same. I figured the powder coating will be a little tougher and then I can have a good base color to paint over instead of the black powder coat in the future.

#7 ·
Sorry about going a little off topic, but to the OP, why did you go with two different bumpers? Most of the time people stay with the same company for both bumpers.

#8 ·
To have a winch with the ranch hands you have to get their new style that uses box tubing instead of round tubing. Didn't like the look as much. Fab fours front is amazing quality and is an Aggie company so part of it was supporting them. However I wanted the rear backup lights which I did not see with the fan fours and didn't like how they looked as much.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Correction the fan fours did have lights. Just looked a little more blocky. Like the classic ranch hand better I guess. Both allows me to use the stock hitch so it was off of looks only.

99-13 Ford Super Duty Black Steel Rear Bumper

#11 ·
Most people I've talked to said they liked the Fab Fours Rear because of the corner steps, I like that feature, but I agree with ya on the lights, I was talking with the company to see if they would be willing to do custom light mounts for Rigid LEDs, but said they only use their lights. I really do like their front bumpers though.

#12 ·
Powder coat and paint are vastly different processes. You will NOT be able to color match powder coat to paint.

If you want color matched you have to paint it. Also, be sure the shop is one who will take a reading on YOUR truck as there are different tones in the same color.

#14 ·
I'm 6'6" so I normally don't have too much trouble hopping up. Also I don't think their black steel rear has the corner steps. I did like that about their original one though. But I thought it would look better keeping the same front and back style.

#15 ·
Agreed, look forward to the pics.

#16 ·
I had my ranch hand bumper powder coated. See picture for how close it matches. It is a metallic powder coat so it has some sparkle to it the way the paint does. As you can see though it is not a complete match. In cloudy and dim light it looks as it does in the picture. In direct sunlight it looks much closer to the paint color. Thing to keep in mind here is that they are two different processes. I talked to 3 different powder coaters and they all said that you can get close but matching is going to be close to impossible without shelling out a bunch of coin. One guy did tell me that I might could have the powder manufacturer try to match the paint numbers but I wasn't willing to break the bank on that. I kind of went after it with the same mentality you have and decided I would paint it if it didn't turn out the way I expected. It suits me and is still on the truck as is.

Attachments

#17 ·
Looks nice! I'm really looking forward to getting mine done now.

That looks close enough for me as well. I'm guessing that's the same color my guy has. He says its really close so that's my guess.

#19 ·
is your truck stock hight as well?

#22 ·
Nice. thanks for your help man. Ill try to get some photos up once its all done. The ench came in today. Bumpers are sitting in the wharhose waiting on me to pick them up but I cant till next week.

The wench is a Warn 16.5ti so ill be able to pull just about anything I want.

#24 ·
I always liked that blue and gunmetal grey combo. Im trying to convince my dad to get that combo on his new truck

#26 ·
only reaso I didnt go for it was because of the requirement for black leather seats. I figured it would just be too hot for Texas in the summer.

#29 ·
I might have seen your truck around. I go to A&M. I cant post a pic of it now but I drive a F350 KR CC FX4 longbed thes green and tan.

#30 ·
Cooled seats are the best!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.