Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Will it do what I need it to do?

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  terryknight 
#1 ·
My 2007 Dodge 3500 dually is about due to get replaced in a few months. It is used to haul boats but with the economy we rarely use it anymore but still need a second truck. My 2002 F350 CCSB srw is a great truck but the TERRIBLE turning radius is killing me when working with it. It tows pretty good, the most I have done with it is about 16,000 on the pintle hitch. As long as I kept it under 60 I was fine. The dodge has pulled 22,000 + also on the pintle hitch with no issues. I am considering getting a 2012 F350 extended cab short bed diesel. My concerns are
1- Do the new trucks turn much better?
2- Do the new trucks tow better than the older ones?
3- How is the fuel economy, around town, highway, towing?
4- 7.3 guys do you regret it (I do love my 7.3)
5- Any complaints, any at all?
6- Anything else I should know?
7- How are the breaks
8- The most I would ever tow with it is about 17-18k and usually less, will it handle it? It is all pintle hitch
9- How is the backup cam? I would have the review mirror one.
10- Is the factory spray in bed as good as rhino liner?

I do have a 2009 F550 for my bigger loads this truck would simply replace both our second truck and my daily driver-spare truck. I got rid a GMC 6500 and a Dodge 3500 when I got my F550 and that was the best business move we ever made. I am now just unsure.

Thanks guy, looking forward (possibly) to getting a new truck.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you will only hear positive feedback on the trade. I used to pull heavy loads, up to 20,000 with the 1999 7.3, the 6.7 reminds me of the 7.3, never hesitates, or balks, just pulls. I have a 38' 5'ver about 16k and I have never had an issue pulling even in the mountains, at highway speeds. Cannot intelligently comment on the turn radius, other than I have never noticed a problem, even in tight quarters. There was a post last year of a member from Canada pulling heavy equipment, might try searching the forum using towing. Good Luck...

#3 ·
I agree with Rich about power and dependability.

My opinion on your questions are

1) Better than what - Dodge or GM, no. Ford, about the same. Coming from GM, I found that to be one of my two biggest gripes. The turning ratio and radius is worse than competition and turbo lag is horrible on the 6.7 compared to other brands.

2) Absolutely, these things are animals!! The power and comfort will make you forget the two negatives I listed above!!

3) On par with other brands. One thing that has surfaced reading the forums about fuel usage is the gear ratio makes a lot of difference in MGP. Where the 323 gears are coming in around 20 mpg and higher, the 355s are hitting 17. My F450 with 430s is mid 13s on a good day. So as you can see, the ratio has a big impact on mileage. Unless you are going to haul a lot of massive loads, you would be better off to buy a faster axle. Don't be afraid of power, these 6,7s will amaze you there. Guys are pulling 15k 5th wheels with the 323 gear, no problem.

4) never had a 7.3 - no comment

5) Turning ratio/radius, turbo lag, lack of auto locker rear axle. The electric locker will eat tires pulling the type trailer you mentioned. Go for a limited slip over the electric locker.

6) Compared to my old GM, the Ford seems to require a lot more maintenance, , , anti freeze, fuel filters and so on. Nothing real terrible but a pain in the butt anyway

7) Brakes are awesome but will take 2k miles to seat when new. Be sure you get some break-in miles before you hook onto a big trailer!! Based on that, I expect the brakes to last a very long time. They do not soil the wheels much at all either.

8) Yes, you can handle loads like that very easily. Like we have been saying, these 6.7s are awesome pullers. The pintle hitch will not load the truck very heavy so remember what I said about the electric locker axle and tire wear. You will really NEED a limited slip for this trailer.

9) Back-up cam works very well. I had the small one in the mirror on my 2011 F250 and the guide lines on it will allow you to back into a hitch very easily. I painted the top of my trailer hitch orange so it would show up well on the camera - that worked perfect.

10) No comment, never had either

One last comment for you. The F450 has a wide front axle that WILL turn with the other brands. It has massive brakes and of course, is rated to handle much bigger loads than the 250s and 350s. The 250 and 350 trucks will suffer turning radius. The fuel mileage on a 450 will eat your wallet fast. They only offer the 430 gear in this modle. I think you can get any ratio in the SRW 250s and 350s. It all comes down to your own needs.

Bottom Line: 6.7 diesels are fantastic rigs in any configuration you get. But you can "dial in" a very sweet truck by doing your home work and know your needs. You are doing it right so keep asking questions.

#4 ·
Mowdoc pretty much covered your questions and I agree. With my 350 4x4 ccsb and 355 gear I get 9.5/10 mpg grossing 26,000 on level ground
I still have a 2000 7.3 dually and the 6.7 out performs it all the way around. The 2011 srw actually has 200lbs more capacity than the 2000 dually

#7 ·
My 2011 F250 crew cab short bed weighed 7880 empty with full fuel. It was over 8k when I got in and with the wife and I both onboard it weighed 8200 full of fuel. I have the CAT scale ticket still.

My problem came after I got my new 5er RV. The GVWR was 1400 over limit when hitched and that was too much to hide if ever got pulled into a scale so I traded for a dually.

The F250 had a GVWR of 10,000lbs. I believe you can up this to 11,400 on a SRW F350. Even with that rating, I would have been close or over still. The duallys have a GVWR of 13,500 and the F450 only squats 1 3/4 inch when I set the 3700lb. pin weight of my camper on it.

The F250 dropped 8.5 inches and was unsafe with that load so I added air bags. It set fine and drove nice then but was illegal pulling the RV.

One more weight, my F450 weighs 9200 with me in it full of fuel. This truck is solid as a rock but eats a lot of fuel!!!! I'm have been very happy with both trucks but needed more payload, that is the only reason I traded.

Every one will be happy to hear that the F250 with air bags handled my big 5th wheel as good as the F450 does stock. The F250 had 355 gears and the F450 has 430s. On the same entrance ramp to the freeway I could get the F250 up to 72mph pulling the camper. My F450 hits 75 about 100 feet early. On the road the F250 would drop to 5th gear once in a while on steep hills and the 450 does not. The 250 got 1.5mpg more with the same trailer and conditions because of faster gearing. The F450 stops on a dime compared to the 250 with the huge brakes it has. That is not much difference between two very different trucks. The 6.7 diesel makes it an even field guys!!!!

#8 ·
If you are comparing old ford 96' 7.3 to new ford 11' 6.7 there is no comparison my 11' 250 has a higher axle rating than my 96' more towing capacity, tighter turning radius, twice the braking power, 3x the torque, and gets the same mileage towing 14k lbs as my old 350 empty. I tow off the bumper and much more than 6000# (dump trailer has a high tongue weight) and has too much sag 3" so I upgraded to a weight distributing hitch and have 1" of sag. My only complaint is the soft springs on the 250. Without a WDH I would not be able to safely to our New Holland 185 or Mini due to the sag unless mod with bags. For performance zero turbo lag. I have 34k mi rotate tires every 5k and have had no wear issues even with the e-locker. Just don't put the.hammer down when loaded you'll take the rubber off the tires :).

#9 ·
What is the most everyone has pulled with the rear receiver? SRW only, using a wd hitch us not an option as I have all pintle hitch trailers. The most Iv done with my 02 was about 16-17k.

#10 ·
I have the 21/2" receiver hitch the sticker is rated at 8k weight carrying and 16k WD. The truck will tow your pintle hitch you just won't be legal. And with a 2k# tongue load you will. Be dragging on a 250. The 350 will fair better but most are upgrading to air bags. And I am not 100% sure but Valley Hitch I believe have an adapter for the pintle WD set up. I tow 14k#GVW 32' trailer with a 10k# mini without any trouble. Since that is the most I will. Be towing I did not buy the 350. It sounds like you really need a 450 to haul the loads you do.

#11 ·
I do have a F550 for the really big loads I'v pulled 25k + on the pintle with that truck at 13 foot wide through PA back to NJ, it did great. I do have a Ram 3500 right now that does great but I hardly ever use it, I also have a 2002 F350 srw that does good (not great). The Ram and F350 pull the smaller trailer. Since I hardly ever use my Ram anymore I want to get rid of it. The 02 can do it but is limited and turns worse than anything I'v ever driven.

I guess what I really want to know is if the bigger breaks, trailer sway control, exhaust break and other fancy things on the new trucks make them pull any better than the older ones.

#12 ·
Here is some of what I am moving...

Obviously the SRW would only be pulling the smaller loads, which I do not have many pics of.

#14 ·
Well compared to my 96' 350 there is no comparison. It out pulls, turns better, rides and handles 10x better. And yes it stops 100x better. The exhaust brake takes a bit of learning bit it is nice. The best thing other than the engine is the tranny.

Good luck!

#16 ·
different style truck but here is what i tow occasionally with my SRW

hydraulic trailer

32 ft cabin cruiser ~ 16K with the trailer

29ft rhodes ranger i have no idea what it weighed

all on a 2 5/16 ball

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.