Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

do I need a new brake caliper?

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  EskimoPie 
#1 ·
In the middle of a brake job, just used a c clamp to compress the brake pistons and I see moisture around the seal and the seal itself looks damaged. Do I need a new brake caliper?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Crap. I used an old pad over the pistons and used 2 C-clamps (one over each piston) to keep the force linear... I don't think I did the damage. Is this normal to see? The left piston looks like it has a serious gouge too... Frustrating.

#4 ·
Hard to tell from the photo but what condition are the rubber seals? If the caliper has not given any problems, you might try getting new seals and install them. The seal kit is like $7.50 per wheel.

BrakeBest Hardware & Hydraulics 41298 - Repair Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts

But, a new/rebuilt caliper is like $65 and most come with lifetime warranty.

I think most are going to suggest a new caliper.

#5 ·
So if I wanted to put it back together with the new pads so I can order calipers, would you think it's unsafe? Aftermarket power stop calipers or OEM?

#7 ·
OK, anything I need to know about replacing the caliper? Should I do both from the at the same time. Even if the other side looks fine?

#10 ·
I would do the pair while you are at it. The other side is likely in similar condition since it has seen the same time on the truck as this one. You just have to bleed the system after putting on the new calipers. Other than that, it isn't a hard job at all since there is only one brake line per side that needs removed.

#11 ·
I went ahead and put 2 new (probably rebuilt - from autozone for $60) calipers on. For the price, it seemed silly not to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.