Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Towing question

4K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  calewjohnson 
#1 ·
Ok so stupid question...

I have a '16 250 6.7 fx4, the owners manual says it can tow 23500 lbs for both the 3.31 and 3.55 however on the fleetford site page 18 (for 2016 models) it says 15100 lbs for SRW ... which one is right? I am looking at getting a 42ft toy hauler 5th wheel dry weight of 16100 :dunno:

#2 ·
Ok so stupid question...

I have a '16 250 6.7 fx4, the owners manual says it can tow 23500 lbs for both the 3.31 and 3.55 however on the fleetford site page 18 (for 2016 models) it says 15100 lbs for SRW ... which one is right? I am looking at getting a 42ft toy hauler 5th wheel dry weight of 16100 :dunno:

I don't know which is correct, I'll tell you this. I have a 40' fully loaded toy hauler with bikes and fuel, we tip 19600 on the scale and 4200 pin weight. The truck does not know the camper is back there braking or accelerating.

I was told mine, 2015 F350 are ccsb, would be good for 23500 and I would be comfortable at the max with no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I was told mine, 2015 F350 are ccsb, would be good for 23500 and I would be comfortable at the max

Unfortunately the sales people at Ford are idiots, sorry if anyone here is one. Your truck, if a SRW, is rated for 15,700lbs not 23,500lbs. Not getting at you, but you were given wrong information and it is something that needs to not be passed on.

I've personally experienced sales people that tried to say that an F250, F350, and F450 were all the same.

#7 ·
Page 195 of your owner's manual

ESSENTIAL TOWING CHECKS
Follow these guidelines for safe towing:
Do not tow a trailer until you drive your
vehicle at least 1000 miles (1600
kilometers).

• Consult your local motor vehicle laws
for towing a trailer.
• See the instructions included with
towing accessories for the proper
installation and adjustment
specifications.
• Service your vehicle more frequently if
you tow a trailer. See your scheduled
maintenance information.
• If you use a rental trailer, follow the
instructions the rental agency gives
you.
See Load limits in the Load Carrying
chapter for load specification terms found
on the tire label and Safety Compliance
label and instructions on calculating your
vehicle's load.

Reactions: ekimv65
#10 ·
For towing numbers, you need to go with what is on your door jam. I bet you will run out of CCC before you hit the max GVWR...assuming you really care about the numbers. Towing is not the real concern here, I believe you will find that stopping would be the bigger challenge, especially if the trailer brakes are complete crap.

Cale

#11 ·
Thanks Cale, we have upgraded brakes on our Fuzion. I would agree with your assessment, the numbers are pretty meaningless.

It always amazes me when I was a track instructor, guys wanted more horsepower and I would prove to them (via throwing up) brakes make you much faster the HP.

#12 ·
Yep, your limit is 15,700 lbs. Will it pull more? Sure. All day, in fact. Is it safe? not really.

You'll find that a dually is much more stable when pulling near or over that magic number, for any length of time.

#13 ·
Yep, your limit is 15,700 lbs. Will it pull more? Sure. All day, in fact. Is it safe? not really.

You'll find that a dually is much more stable when pulling near or over that magic number, for any length of time.

Really, I can tell you, I've been well above the number and can't tell there is any instability. What changes do you see or feel?

#16 ·
Ok so stupid question...

I'm curious as to where in the manual it said that an F250 could tow 23500 lbs. It is only in 2017 that the SRW has tipped the 20k+ lbs. Prior to this latest model, if you wanted to tow over 20k lbs (legally) then you needed a dually.

While yes, your truck can pull more than 15,700, it isn't advised. The manufacturers, both truck and trailer, will hang you out to dry if something happens. Plus your insurance will deny your claim and you will be exposed to personal liability.

I don't think it is worth the risk of liability plus having to admit that you don't care about anyone else on the road. But then again I'm a stickler for rules because I've personally seen what happens when people don't go along with the rules.

My advice either get into a vehicle that is made/legal for that load, or shop for a toy hauler that your truck can actually haul.

#22 ·
The truck on the left will pull this camper just fine.
The truck on the right pulls this camper day and night better.
My white truck is said to be rated at 23.3k towing like it sits and the red truck is rated at 15,700.
This trailer has an 18k gvw

My red truck needs bags under it for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#25 · (Edited)
I just hate how there are so many different weights to watch for. You have a max weight for the vehicle, then you have a max trailer weight, then another for both trailer & truck combined. If just one is out of place, you're screwed if something happens. What gets me is mine says the max weight is 10k for the truck, gives about 2k-2500 lbs for weight. So unless I'm wrong here, once my family is loaded up (say 600lbs), another 175+ of fuel, 250 ish for my autoslide hitch, I'm not left with much trailer tongue weight.

#26 ·
I just hate how there are so many different weights to watch for. You have a max weight for the vehicle, then you have a max trailer weight, then another for both trailer & truck combined. If just one is out of place, you're screwed if something happens. What gets me is mine says 10k for the truck, gives about 2k-2500 lbs for weight. So unless I'm wrong here, once my family is loaded up (say 600lbs), another 175+ of fuel, 250 ish for my autoslide hitch, I'm not left with much trailer tongue weight.
The max trailer weight is figured on gross combined weight - (curb weight+full tank of fuel+200lb driver) so it's more of a sales thing imo.

No way your truck weighs 10k, mine is a cclb 4x4 drw 350 and with me + over built headache rack+ fuel+ nick knacks my truck scales at around 8200.

Here's the secret to figuring it out, go to the scale.

#30 ·
Sir,

Thank you. One can see just between the two of us, and Durango, that vast weight differences and that all the little things add up. Luckily I have a 14k GVWR, which allows me to pull with full fuel, my Voltage pin weight is 3800lbs. Since I know how much the absolutely weighs maxed out, I will slide across the scales if I think the Voltage is heavier, then fuel up based on the trailer weight that day. (Ballpark of 7lb/gal)

Cale

Reactions: PullingHome
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.