Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Is This Noise Normal? (I'm thinking No)

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Frankf300 
#1 · (Edited)
So I got a 2012 F-350 a little over a week ago, it is a Ford CPO truck with just over 57k miles. I kept noticing this noise from in the cab that at first seemed like buzzing, but almost sounds like a spinning bearing now that I listen to it closely. I took a video of it with the hood open, phone positioned on driver's side. You can hear that it does it every time I hit the accelerator even if it is just slightly. I notice while driving that it will continue whether I'm on the accelerator or not. Will usually come to a stop once I'm back at idle. Video was obviously taken while in park. This is my first Powerstroke so I just want to be sure it's not a normal noise for the motor before raising it with the dealer as they are not close to me. I've had a 6.7 Cummins, drive an International DT466 and a Sprinter almost every day and this sound just doesn't seem right to me. Hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction. Thanks! I wasn't sure how to embed the video in the post so I just posted the Youtube link to the video: youtu.be/rTLMf5AO1N4

#4 ·
Not normal. My 6.7 does not do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I just came across a thread started by dave05250 about a year ago and in his video it sounds exactly like mine. Unfortunately the only updates on the thread were that he dropped a cylinder and than he replaced an injector, but the noise did not go away.

#6 ·
whoa don't tell me that's not normal my truck has sounded like that since I've owned it......

fwiw 35k later still going strong....

#7 ·
Dealer I bought from is going to give me a loaner and take the truck in to fix whatever is going on. Parking brake also not working. So I was like, not really sure if a CPO truck is supposed to roll off the lot like this. Sounds like they're going to make it right though which is cool. Will update once I know what's going on.

#8 ·
I'm pretty sure I've heard my truck do that too. I'm pushing close to 700whp with a turbo swap and dual fuelers, so if it was something wrong I'm sure I would have exploited it by now...

#9 · (Edited)
I asked my saleswoman if she would mind if I met with a tech so I could show him exactly what I was talking about. She had no problem with it so when I brought the truck back I popped the hood and I barely hit the gas and the tech turns to the saleswoman and says, he's absolutely right I hear it...we gotta take it in. Granted I don't always put all my faith in dealer techs, but I also showed the clip to my brother in law who is the diesel mechanic who maintains our entire business fleet. He agreed that just by the clip it doesn't sound normal. So I'm still awaiting a call from service with an update on the truck. Will update here as soon as I get more info.

#10 ·
I have always thought it sounded like an injector noise. Either injectors or maybe the valvetrain. But I think it's injector noise. And I think it has to be normal...but we shall see I suppose.

#11 ·
So I haven't updated because I'm still waiting on answers lol. To me it does sound similar to injector noise, that was also one of my thoughts. Dealer called me this morning to let me know that all their diesel techs are insisting they've never heard that in a 6.7 before, but are completely stumped of the source. So now they're waiting on Ford to send out an engineer. I was like alright, guess I'll just keep racking up the miles on the 150 you gave me haha.

#12 ·
Sounds like the spinner on "game of life".. my truck definitely doesn't do that nor have I heard any of them in my brother in laws fleet do that.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Does/did it get louder as the rpms went up? I wonder if it isn't an air or exhaust leak. @kaya , have you heard this on 11-12s?

#14 ·
Don't believe I've heard that specific one before. Sounds relative to engine speed. I'd start by trying to pin point the area with a stethoscope. Maybe pull the belt off. Easy enough to do.
Almost sounds like the vacuum harness is vibrating against something. Could even be the vacuum pump itself. Shouldn't be too difficult to find with a stethoscope tho.

#15 ·
I wouldn't say that it gets louder as RPMs go up, but it definitely seems to stay consistent with the engine speed. RPMs go up and it sounds as if its "spinning" faster and same effect when RPMs get lower. Granted, I'm going by memory and my video clip since dealer has had the truck for 2 weeks at this point. They called me again later on in the day yesterday asking if I had added any DEF. So I said, well since I had only had the truck a week and a half and the display was showing DEF level was fine I didn't add any. He didn't elaborate on why he was asking that though so I have no idea what theory they were working with that one. Ahhhh well...another day in the 150 I guess.

#16 ·
So another update on this....yesterday I get a call in the morning that my truck is ready! Engineers told them to drain the fuel system, replace the filters, and replace the low pressure fuel pump. I take the 2 hour trip there, hand em back the keys to the loaner, move my son's car seat and stuff back into the F-350 and drive off. No more than 1 mile down the road and I clearly still hear it. There's also still a noise coming from the rear that I don't like which I had told them about. A squeaking sound only at very low speeds in both reverse and forward when not on the brakes.

So I turn right around and bring it back. Had the advisor listen to them again and I thought he was going to pull the, "I don't hear it sir" card, but he immediately said, yea I hear em both...clearly very disappointed. He wanted me to speak with the tech working on the truck too who was a very nice guy. Tech said he's going to have to go back to engineering and tell them their solution did nothing. He said the truck wouldn't do it cold, but as the truck got hotter the noise got louder and louder. I said is there any possibility this is normal? He said no, not at all cause otherwise I would just walk you on to the lot and show you it's normal on another truck, but I can't do that. He also seems to be very concerned about the rear end noise.

I have been very very understanding right from the get go and have not harassed them at all over this as we all know you get more with honey than you do with vinegar. But at this point I brought up the question of "buy back" and the service advisor said to be honest sir that's where I'm starting to lean. I said it's nothing against you because you've kept in the loop at all times and he continues to apologize for all the inconvenience, etc. I said, but I've been driving the loaner for over 3 weeks, and the truck I bought for 1 week. He said, I would feel exactly like you do right now. So he said to give him Monday to talk with engineering and if they don't get anywhere he's going to advise sales that they need to buy the truck back it should have never been certified. I like the truck, but not enough that I'm willing to take on a potential problem truck. I guess I will see what Monday brings. Sorry for the long post, but that's where we're at with this saga haha!

#18 ·
Soooo...I'm back haha! End to this story was they had my truck for a little over a month and all they could tell me was Ford engineering claims the noise is "normal diesel engine noise". I made sure to get something in writing on that because I did not want to be on the hook for it if it does turn out to be something. So fast forward to today and I'm dropping my truck off on Monday to my local dealer to do a water pump. I'm losing about 1 gallon of coolant a day, traced it right back to the primary pump. So I wanted to get people's opinions on if I should have them check out anything else while they are in there because I hate to keep losing the truck for stretches at a time. Truck has 62k mi on the clock. Also wondering if anyone thinks that noise which is still present may be a failing water pump bearing or something? At this point I don't have the time to bring it back to where I bought it from because it's 4 hours of driving. So I just told my local dealer, it is what it is...I have to get this truck back on the road as soon as possible. I'd rather have them tackle anything else that may become an issue now while they're in there though. Fingers crossed that the truck is not down too long this time. :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.