Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

front end noise (clunking)

15K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  00buck 
#1 ·
So I'm sure this wont be my last post in the next few weeks...... (sorry in advance and thanks for your patience) Just got the truck yesterday and while driving today I'm noticing a clunking noise only when making turns. (Have PRO COMP front end stabilizers.) If I sway back and forth with the steering wheel it wont make the noise but going slow(er) and making a sharp turn I'll notice it both turning left and right....

Thanks for helping...

#2 ·
May be the front axle u-joints. Since you have no info on truck configuration, I will assume it is 4x4. One or both of the hubs my be stuck locked. It happens. I would check both axle shafts at the knuckle. Just turn the front drive shaft and see if one side doesn't turn freely. If so, then shove a long screwdriver in the u-joint on the side that does turn, to keep it from doing so, and try again. If the other side won't rotate, then your hub is locked on that side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Also, check that the manual hubs are in auto. Have seen them cause a little binding when set in lock position on slow sharp turns

#8 ·
Made sure hubs are in auto this morning, turned them a few times to make sure and they are in the auto position.... doesn't sound like 4wd locking (partial) I've experienced that with my Jeep and it really grabs and is hard to turn (jeep) when it happened.....

#7 ·
It's been reported that the AdvancTrac causes this to happen. Try holding the button for 7 seconds, watch the dash for a message something like ADVTRAC OFF. Test drive to see if the condition still presents. It has something to do with how the system wants to control the wheel speed as if you are in a lost control situation.

#9 ·
Mine dose the exact same thing. It will only do it if I take a corner and hit a bump. Doesn't do it really at slow speeds more like when I'm turning off the highway ont a side street and hit a pot hole. It does kinda sound like when the abs kicks in. I'll turn off the nanny and see if it still does it.

#13 ·
Ok, even though my body bushings were wore out and replaced, I now have a distinctive front end thud.
I had my coolant flushed last week and asked them to check the front end. They said everything was tight and it may be the new body bushings settling it.

Anyone figure it out yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
My body bushings are totally shot and had my friend look at the underneath with me and the only other thing we can think of in my case is maybe the control arms are making the noise as it only makes the noise when I'm turning in either direction and seems to come from under my feet in the cab....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.