Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7' Garage Door Clearance & Leveling Kits

8K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  lindner115 
#1 ·
Sorry in advance if this is covered, I couldn't find much searching. What suspension/tires will fit under a 7' garage door. My stock '16 clears with about 3". I'd like to level, but don't want the truck outside. Love to hear some experience.

#2 ·
You'll be lucky to find taller tires and/or a lift kit while still fitting in a standard height garage door. I'm actually surprised you have 3" to spare as it is, as my truck barely fit under my 7' door the day I bought it. With only a canopy, rack, and 35" tires on an otherwise stock truck, I have no chance of fitting under the door, so I'm forced to park it outside. I can just squeeze the cab under the door (with the roof grazing the bottom weatherstripping) for oil changes, but the back half of the truck is stuck outside.

I plan to do some renovations on the house in a few years, and adding another panel to the garage door to get the truck to clear again is high on that list. What I really miss is being able to get my truck through the touchless automated car wash during the winter. I'm stuck washing the truck by hand all year around, and that is a big job when the temps are lucky to reach 40 during the day.

#6 · (Edited)
I live in a college town where parking is very limited, mostly garages. I'm leveled (2.5" carli kit) on 35's and I don't fit in any of the parking garages, much less my own garage. My total hight is a smidge over 7', not including the CB whip. Measured from ground to the top of the cab lights.

I smack trees daily with my CB whip and every time I go through the taco cabana drive thru my whip scrapes the crap out of their stucco carport ceiling lol

when it hails in the spring time I park the hood into the garage of the house and stick something soft over the roof or park under a tree lol...you get resourceful.

I don't fit in automatic car washes either, too tall and too wide to be comfortable with it.

unless the sign says "clearance 8'6" or higher I usually find an alternate plan of action for parking...

In a beautiful and perfect world I'd have a 9'h x10'w automatic roll up door or a lean-to style carport built onto the house. But for now, oak trees have done the trick for many vehicles for many years.

#9 · (Edited)
I have a 2.5" level and it drags the garage door gasket backing in so I know it won't clear the cab lights. It may not be a true 7' however when the gasket is added.

#10 ·
I've found a lot depends on how they poured the concrete. I know a new 2017 wouldn't fit in my garage, my 2014 does but it's close! Parking in the garage and automatic carwashes are the reasons I don't have a dually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.