Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Exhaust Filter cleaning cycle

52K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  backhoebill 
#1 ·
Hi all i have a 2012 F350 6.7 that i bought feb 1st. And it has been
sitting in a garage for 12wks . with some 15min idle times.battery charger on too. So i just put it on the road this week and every day
it says (drive to clean exhaust filter) so 15 miles to work and back,
7 miles at 40mph + 12 miles hiway 65mph all week ,And some extra 10 mile trips in between .I can smell it heating up and working after the truck warms up. 200 miles later ..And 4 days later it still hasnt finished this process?
57k miles on truck. Whats up here any ideas?
( also have a 7yr/125k full Ford Prime Care Warranty)
Thanks in advance

#2 ·
If you're getting a drive to clean message it's going to take 45 min+ of highway driving to get it cleaned out.
Mine was the same way when I bought it used, they get driven around the dealer lot and idle. People drive them around the block and the dpf is soot loaded.

What she needs is a road trip.

If you have a load to put in the back or tow it will go faster.

#3 ·
If you're getting a drive to clean message it's going to take 45 min+ of highway driving to get it cleaned out.

Mine was the same way when I bought it used, they get driven around the dealer lot and idle. People drive them around the block and the dpf is soot loaded.

What she needs is a road trip.

If you have a load to put in the back or tow it will go faster.

Sooner rather than later. My bro-in-law just bought a 2016 F350 Platinum dually that was the sales manager's ride. Dealer had to replace the DPF. Manager drove slow, short trips, and according to them, he ran bad fuel. Truck went into limp mode the second week and had to be towed. Make sure you complete that cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
The latest version of FORScan will allow you to do a stationary Regen. Not sure if it can be accomplished with an android phone or if you need a computer. Either way, you will need a good OBDII adapter whether it is bluetooth (computer and phone) or USB (computer).

#9 ·
More Details on how to accomplish this. I have FORscan on my laptop and used it to do a few mods, but wasn't aware I could force regens!

#5 ·
So i planned a highway trip of 60 miles to clean this DPF and after 17 miles of highway driving at 65mph.Finally i got the message( Exhaust Cleaning Complete) wow that was a long time all week.
Now this will be a daily driver and these cleaning cycles should be shorter.

#28 ·
You can use Forscan or have your dealer add % DPF Full to your dash. I have a Edge Insight CTS and use the DPF Load Pid for a close proximity. Also, the CTS/CTS2, ForScan (I think) and ScanGauge II all show DPF Status which is either ON during a regen or OFF. I've had regens last from 12 to 30 miles. I often lock out higher gears during a regen to keep RPMs between 2000 and 2500 to hurry things along.

#12 ·
Careful with the forced regen - gets hot for so long it can cook the motor oil.

Recommend a oil change after performing one of these.

#14 ·
Where did you read this or obtain this information. It takes about the same time for manual regen as a regen on the highway. The manual regen I have performed on my truck did not raise the oil nor water temp above normal.

I do not think this is truthful information as the Ford service DVD's I have say nothing about an oil change after a manual regen nor does the owner's manual if your truck is came with the factory OCR option (owner commanded regen).

#13 ·
It looks to be a more thorough deep cleansing as someone said. I need it however as my daily commute doesn't allow it to complete one on it's own. I do make an effort to drive it enough to finish one, but I feel it needs a good one to start fresh. I've gotten it down to 20% when new, but lately it only gets down to 40% or so.

#18 ·
This is the biggest bunch of BS I have ever seen. I bought a new 16 last September. The mpg suck!! 7.5 mpg pulling my 9500# travel trailer. My 11 6.2 gasser did better!! After a regen I get up to almost 12 mpg locally then bam, back to regen and destroys the mileage. This occurs around every 100 miles. So I have to hit the freeway and do 70 mph for 20 miles to clear it. 100 miles later, back to regen. I complain to the dealer and they say Ford does not guarantee mpg. I'll just have to suffer a couple more years till I can afford to dump this pig.

#19 ·
Lol, you're not alone. Any new diesel past 2008 is gonna behave like this..especially in the city.

That's what deletes are for.

#21 ·
The later...unless you add the DPF % full screen to your gauges or get a monitor of some sort. You can watch your MPG and it'll fall drastically during and pick back up afterwards.

Reactions: denenberghoward2
#27 ·
There is a message that pops up on the 2011-2016 at each regen. Most times one doesn't notice it as it only last a few seconds.

#29 ·
Yeah I've seen the screen pop up for the cleaning, just haven't noticed about when it was complete.

You can use Forscan or have your dealer add % DPF Full to your dash. I have a Edge Insight CTS and use the DPF Load Pid for a close proximity. Also, the CTS/CTS2, ForScan (I think) and ScanGauge II all show DPF Status which is either ON during a regen or OFF. I've had regens last from 12 to 30 miles. I often lock out higher gears during a regen to keep RPMs between 2000 and 2500 to hurry things along.
Okay. I'll have to call my buddy that works at the dealer I bought it from and see if he can get it turned on for me.

#33 ·
IDS is the FORD diagnostic software

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.