Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

It's big. It's heavy. It is an adventure truck.

7K views 82 replies 18 participants last post by  zsargent 
#1 ·
I took the dogs up into the San Bernardino National Forest looking for a day out to with my pups to replace some giant pine cones I gave away to some good friends that were RV'ing through that liked them.

I replaced my Nissan Pro-4X with an F-250 XL 4x4 vinyl on vinyl Powerstroke thinking my serious 4 wheeling days were over. Hah! So I thought.

My truck has stock 245/75 17 street tires. Open diffs. And gazoodles of power!

So I'm driving down a forest road I've been down a hundred times before in my Nissan which was never a problem. Then I saw the results from our last winter.

Hard right U bend with a new gully wash out. Three miles back to the nearest place I can turn around ands the world's worst backer upper at the wheel.

My choice is obvious. Out comes the pick, shovel, crow bar and hand saw.

My pups went exploring and I went to work. A one man WPA project. Spent three hours moving rocks and small boulders and fallen limbs and I filled that gully knowing that no matter what I did as soon as my right front tire hit my work it would smoosh it deep into that muddy gully possibly sending my truck tumbling down the mountainside.

And that's exactly what happened except for the tumbling part.

I tethered my pups to a tree on the other side. Sent a useless no signal text to a buddy with my lat/long and went for it.

Crawled up to my new bridge, felt my right tire drop and floored it. All good on the other side. Except for my lower valance panel. It was toast. Thought I had smashed my exhaust too but it was fine.

I love this truck!

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#10 ·
Yeah... @SparkyF250 can sure get all up in people's faces right off. Never understood that...

... I've visited every state except Michigan and North Dakota. Have you ever left your county?
I've been to Michigan. I went to see a small town that people kept telling me to go to.

...and your original description was fine, but I was left wondering what the road block looked like and what the truck looked like and what the dogs looked like... Ya gotta admit, pics sure do make threads nice.

#4 ·
I wasn't going to reply because I obviously touched a nerve. But you are new here regardless of your travels. It's a standing joke on the org, "pics or it didn't happen". If you have such a hard time with a joke, oh well that's your problem. Have a nice day

#6 ·
Your new here was In Regards to joining the forum in march, pics or it didn't happen was to see what you actually hurdled. Your way out of line getting nasty.

#7 ·
Dude I'm from So Cal originally...I feel like your talking about some of those fire roads off the 15 going up over Baldy or something similar...I've had some fun over those in an old school Mitsubishi 4x4 that was never meant to be there...your in such a capable truck it's not even funny compared to what I was in. Welcome to the Org...lots of good guys here.

#9 ·
Wow, @SparkyF250... way to piss the new guy off.:poke

#12 ·
I try do my best :hehe:

Yeah... @SparkyF250 can sure get all up in people's faces right off. Never understood that...

I've been to Michigan. I went to see a small town that people kept telling me to go to.

...and your original description was fine, but I was left wondering what the road block looked like and what the truck looked like and what the dogs looked like... Ya gotta admit, pics sure do make threads nice.
LOL I saw that town in Germany, they had a big statue of the devil and I got a picture of it with snow all over. It was a cold day in Hell >:)
(some day I'll have to get all my old Army pics digitized)

#15 ·
those were the days of drinking :nod:

#16 ·
In the 70's the Army was mostly a social club for drunks and dopers. Jimmy Carter didn't seem to care too much about the military (except to cap our pay)

Reactions: john galt
#17 ·
and treat it as a slush fund for social experimentation :doh:

Reactions: SparkyF250
#18 ·
well attitude aside i have blasted around in the big bear area
mostly in my old toyota but the super duty makes for an amazing adventure truck.
I have many more designs for my truck for just such purposes.

#22 ·
I stand behind a camera for a living and what you see is not what is real. I (we) create fantasy and manipulate real life. Taking photos to share in my off time is something that I just don't do. Telling stories in words allows you to create the images in your own mind.

That being said. Here are pics of my truck, basic, one each. My pups. Yeah I know. The little old lady is the Boss. And what's left of my lower valance panel.

Attachments

#28 ·
#23 ·
I am so very fortunate to have found this truck. It came from PA and was a rental. It came to me pre-dented and scratched. I got it cheap. It is mechanically perfect. Power windows and heated mirrors. Jake button. Trailer brake control. It's an 8000 pound dirt bike!

My plans are to put 34" BFG TA KO2's on the stock steel wheels. 3.73 (maybe 4.11) gears and an Eaton locker. Snugtop Outback and full rug in the back. Poor mans Excursion.

#27 ·
I resemble that remark...

#29 ·
Woo hoo... We made it through that one well!:beer:

Welcome to the zoo... I mean forum and I am glad to hear your truck is treating you well.

Reactions: john galt and ZMANN
#31 ·
Welcome to the forum. Keep in mind that the 6.7 likes to make most of it's power down near 1800rpm. That's why you don't see trucks from the factory with gears lower than 3.54. My 6.7 came factory equipped with 4.30:1 gears, but I run around at 40,000 lbs. Just something to keep in mind. You may not like low gears. Tune it first, and see what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.