Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Tow Haul Usage

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  HLBeef 
#1 ·
Hello all! I am picking up a 2016 F250 6.7l 4x4 this weekend. It will be my daily driver and tow vehicle. I pull a 27' catamaran offshore boat about 350 miles one way every 6 weeks or so. It weighs somewhere in the range of 9000-9500 pounds. This will be my first diesel, so pardon the dumb question. For mild hills and flat ground, how often do you use your tow/haul mode on your truck? I use it a bunch on my F150, but I am wondering about on the F250. Thanks for any help and I am learning a ton reading all the forums!

#3 ·
When I am towing with my 2015, I turn on T/H immediately or as soon as I remember to do it as I pull out onto the Interstate/highway. The biggest advantage I have found is the transmission doesn't "hunt" the right gear as much when towing and turned on.

Excerpts from the 2016 Onwer's Manual

The tow/haul feature:

• Delays upshifts to reduce the frequency of transmission shifting.

• Provides engine braking in all forward gears, which slows your vehicle and assists you in controlling your vehicle when descending a grade.

• Depending on driving conditions and load conditions, may downshift the transmission, slow your vehicle and control your vehicle speed when descending a hill, without pressing the accelerator pedal. The amount of downshift braking provided varies based upon the amount you press the brake pedal.

The tow/haul feature improves transmission operation when towing a trailer or a heavy load. All transmission gear ranges are available.

If your transmission is equipped with a Grade Assist or Tow/Haul feature, use this feature when towing. This provides engine braking and helps eliminate excessive transmission shifting for optimum fuel economy and transmission cooling.

Your truck will also have the "Exhaust Brake" feature.

You can download a manual here

Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

#6 ·
We pull a 28' Kevlacat with son in laws 2012 F-250 that weighs about the same. Use the tow haul mode and it pulls the boat easily. Better braking too as stated.

#7 ·
Again, beating a dead horse, but I use it for better braking...it downshifts on hills on its own to maintain speed, exhaust braking and downshifting kicks in when you're coming to a stop. It's tow/haul for a reason...use it...

#10 ·
T/H will change shift points when accelerating and will use lower gears going down hill. Pretty sure you will have to use the engine brake button for that to work if you have that. I think it was the 2015 that added it but it might have been sooner.

#9 ·
If you have the transmission in manual mode does tow haul make a difference?

#11 ·
on a 2015+ you gotta push the engine brake button to engage that but for 11-14 it activated with the tow/haul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.