Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Used Northern 2014 F350, any issues?

888 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  HulkHartman 
#1 ·
Hello All,
I am looking at a 2014 F350 located in Wisconsin. I currently live in TN and dont plan on moving. The truck was bought and traded back in at the same dealer. I looked up the options the truck came with and they added the Wheel Well Liners + Splash guards / Mud Flaps so I'm assuming they cared about the undercarriage (hopefully). The truck looks pretty clean and has a bed cover. Doesn't look to every be used as a plow or service truck. Based on research, it seems newer vehicles are fairly resistant to rust for 5-7 yrs of constant salt environments. I've asked for them to provide either a detailed video walk around + under carraige video or plenty of pictures. Are there any other pictures I should request?

Im sure some of the undercarriage parts show surface rust like exhaust, driveshaft and axles. If I purchase this vehicle, bring it down to TN and give it a good detail and undercarriage cleaning, would there be much of a reason to worry about rust anymore? We don't get must salt on the roads down here and if we do its gone in 2-3 days and then i spray off my vehicles anyway.

#2 ·
I'd probably have the truck under coated, get pictures of around the door seals, that area doesn't get washed unless you hand wash it and open the door. Or at least on my 05 it's that way. My father has a 16 Silverado and it has some sort of coating under the paint in common areas like that. I live in KY, so I understand the salt situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Get pictures of the bottoms of the doors under the rubber seal. You may see some rust forming in the pinch weld area. Cab corners and rocker panels. The mud flaps will have helped protect some. Also if it has running boards it may have helped some. Im from Illinois and I hate buying trucks from up here.

It's only seen a couple winters so you'll probably be fine.

#6 ·
The spot welds on the under body will have surface rust on them, drive shaft, steering box and block will have surface rust.

I take a garden sprayer and fill with soapy water and a cup/gallon of concentrated purple degreaser(zep), spray everything down on the underside and down the stake pocket holes.
let it set for 20 minutes or so then I use a sprinkler on a upside down bucket and rinse the whole thing off really really well. Get into every nook and cranny.

Rinse down the outside of the window seals to the door.

Once it all dries out, hit the spots with some rust converter then spray paint. Should be GTG for a decade or so...

I do this 2x a year and no rust so far, my black truck looks white from salt all winter. dually's don't fit in the car wash

#7 ·
Pass on it.

There should be enough trucks near you and south of you that you should be able to find a deal. A deal on a truck that is absolutely rust free and never has seen salt.

No matter what you do, you cannot fully stop rust after it has started.

#8 ·
Although I'm sure a truck that has only seen a few northern winters will be fine, I do agree there has to be plenty of trucks in your area that have never seen salt. If you do buy it, don't have it undercoated. The rubberized undercoatings are nothing but moisture traps.

#9 ·
Hey man,

I just purchased a 2014 f350 6.7 last week! and guess where I live! WI!

lol at first I was worried this post was about the truck I bought I would have felt bad. Any way, the rust up here can be a real killer to vehicles that aren't taken care of. The one I got had an undercoating so the frame is rust free. axles have some surface rust but I can work on that.

If its not to far I would be happy to go take a look at if for you and give you an honest opinion before you pull the trigger. I'm on vehicle 12 in the last 10 years of living in WI so I have some experience in the area of rust... Im in Madison WI. Feel free to shoot me a text or call 608 852 4959. I'll try to keep my eye on this thread as well.

#10 ·
Awesome! Well turns out the dealer hasn't sent photos because someone else put a deposit on it and is flying in today to pick it up. They are going to let me know if the deal doesnt finalize. I'm going to keep looking though. Looks like best place to go find a truck is Texas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.