Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fuel MPG ??

4K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  jpv9297 
#1 ·
Just got my 16 F350 4X4 in December. Was curious what others are getting MPG wise and Exhaust fluid distance? I'm avg 11 and that's pulling a 12' cargo trailer with very little load 50% of the time and no trailer the other 50%. I am getting about 3K on my EF before it pops up a reminder that its 500 to E.

Spark

#2 ·
Welcome to the ORG Spark. I would chime in with help if I knew but I'm an old 6.0 guy and my fuel is based on my foot, not towing. There will be some guys who can give you the answers but again welcome and enjoy the site. :)

#6 ·
11 mpg is probably right for a f350 dually pulling a cargo trailer. The problem you're likely running into is wind resistance.

As milage goes down, def usage goes up. More fuel burned, more exhaust to treat. Anywhere from 3-5k miles to a tank of DEF is about right.

As the truck breaks in, milage will increase some, most experience this. Not exponentially, but some.

Driving habits contribute the most to mpg, as well as speed, gearing, etc...

I get 13.5-14.5 in my unloaded f250 running 80 on the highway on 35s...and I honestly don't know how long I go without filling the DEF, I fill it up when the tank gets to 2/3 of the way full else the check engine light comes on (broken sender in tank). But I think I did 4000 miles to a tank once upon a time.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#13 · (Edited)
In town my milage tanks...I'll get only 140 miles to a tank and I get about 9-10.5 mpg, if I am strictly in town.

The only way people are seeing 16-17 mpg out of these trucks are the ones that are STOCK, stock suspension stock tires stock everything, maybe deleted, and driving conservatively 65-70ish mph on the freeway with little headwind.

The only time I've seen 16.5 mpg in my rig is running 80 up I-35 for ten hours with a nice tailwind. That never seems to happen to me except in that one case. I was pleasantly surprised at each fuelup on that trip.

Being leveled and on 35's I'm fairly happy with my milage. It's a pickup with the aerodynamics of a brick...there's only so much you can do.

All my numbers are hand calc'd, and I too have 3.55s.

Being you are a 3.73, that'll help with pulling some but it'll also cost a little mpg as well. Again, as far as freeway milage, its all about the speeds, winds, and your wind resistance of your load (truck+trailer or unloaded truck).

Loaded with 15k doing 70-75 mph I can see anywhere from 5.5-8.5 again just depends on wind and terrain. If I do 65 I can see almost 10.

Reactions: Mossive
#14 ·
In town my milage tanks...I'll get only 140 miles to a tank and I get about 9-10.5 mpg, if I am strictly in town.

The only way people are seeing 16-17 mpg out of these trucks are the ones that are STOCK, stock suspension stock tires stock everything, maybe deleted, and driving conservatively 65-70ish mph on the freeway with little headwind.

The only time I've seen 16.5 mpg in my rig is running 80 up I-35 for ten hours with a nice tailwind. That never seems to happen to me except in that one case. I was pleasantly surprised at each fuelup on that trip.

Being leveled and on 35's I'm fairly happy with my milage. It's a pickup with the aerodynamics of a brick...there's only so much you can do.

All my numbers are hand calc'd, and I too have 3.55s.

Being you are a 3.73, that'll help with pulling some but it'll also cost a little mpg as well. Again, as far as freeway milage, its all about the speeds, winds, and your wind resistance of your load (truck+trailer or unloaded truck).
This is 100% my experience. I am on a 6in lift with 37's. deleted, tuned, upgraded turbo. I HATE WIND.

wouldnt exchange the smiles per gallon though ;)

Reactions: HLBeef
#16 ·
op, I have 4:30 gears and get 10mpg @63 mph towing a 16k lb 5th wheel, when I start getting close to 70mph the drop is to about 9mpg. empty on the highway @ 70mph I get just about 15.5mph, again I start going over and the mileage will drop.

Its not a Prius nor is the fuel sipper diesel used to be.

#20 ·
I have a 2016 F350 CCLB Platinum with 3:55's and bone stock. Best I've seen is 18.7 mpg and that was around 60 mph for 300 miles. This is hand figured not the liar meter in the truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.