Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Bad ending to start of trip

8K views 48 replies 22 participants last post by  OH IT'S KINO 
#1 · (Edited)
Bad ending to start of trip *Post 29 Pics update*

Well was headed out to Glamis for 4 days to have some fun riding and on way out this happen...

Now starts the journey to find a great shop to get it back together, hopefully back to at least the condition it was.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Nope couldn't stop in time, was doing 40 or so and that truck slammed on his brakes, 10K lbs pushing me (toyhauler) and couldn't stop in time, yes had some distance, not enough apparently :(

and yes everyone is ok, fiancee and 14 year old daughter was with me. No airbags because the bumper didnt really hit cause his sat higher.

#7 ·
Yep they work, just couldn't stop in time. Could I have been farther back, yep, but i wasn't tailgating, had a good 2-3 car lengths.

Reactions: ZMANN
#8 ·
I hate it but it happens. I try to follow my rule. at least 3 Car lengths for truck only. and 2 Car lengths for every 5k lbs im hauling. then add 2 on top of everything if raining and well 50 if snow/ ice lol.

If you were near AR i would get you to my dads body shop on a friend deal. IF you have issues let me know. My dad has contacts for all 54. as do i.

#13 ·
Thanks, Ill take a look at them.

#12 ·
Nope they dont give much either, dont think it probably moved with 17k lbs hitting it.

#14 ·
Shop tore it apart to get a good estimate for the insurance. Basically everything in the front needs to be replaced The main inner reinforcement are bent as well so i'm told to get those out they need to remove the whole dash so things dont catch on fire when removed and welded back in. the shop said there is a chance of total loss, but will talk to insurance to find out.

Attachments

#15 ·
Atleast ya got a curved lightbar now!

Glad everyone's ok. But damn! 2-3 car lengths at 40mph with a heavy trailer. What did you expect?!? Lucky that it wasn't a car you took out. Lesson learned i hope.

#16 ·
Oh man that suck, sorry to hear this, especially on a trip to the dunes. My truck stops like crap while pulling my 16k 5th wheel, I know the feeling. You leave too large of a distance between you and the rig in front and people start filling it. But hey, if it is totaled, at least that means you can go buy one of the sweet 2017 models ;)

#17 ·
Glad you are ok as well as the family. Not to knock you down but when in driving school, they teach 1 car length for every 10 MPH you are traveling. So if 40mph, stay at least 4 car lengths in distance. That is without towing... add towing.. add more distance.

#18 ·
All, I understand the car lengths, Problem with that theory is no one else cares...Im back 5-10 car lengths and im on the brakes the whole time with people cutting in front of me to keep that gap. Its a lose / lose for me...this time it cost me a little more.

I didnt post this to get knocked on and wrist slapped, I did it to show others the damage and that it kept me and my family safe. I'm happy with deleting it if needed.

#19 ·
And I believe I said "not to knock you down" as in, it isn't meant to.

I think many don't realize the distance one should have when traveling (I fully understand what you are saying and I see it as well when I tow). It was more of a general comment for mothers and not directly at you like a "shame on you" post.

#22 ·
Good to hear that the truck did its job and you all were ok. Those sweepers don't give. I know that. I ran one a when working for the city. I was at the edge of town making a U-turn, some university kids were drag racing their trucks. I looked in the mirror they were maybe 600 feet back, started the turn then there was one h*ll of a bang. I got out to a mangled Duramax behind the sweeper. Pretty much the same amount of damage to the sweeper as in the pic. Cop said the speedo in the truck was at 60 mph. I was sore from the impact, I never did hear how the guy and girls in the truck were.

#24 ·
Dang that sucks about your truck but glad you are all ok. :thumb:

#25 ·
Got the finial estimate and its $22k, 15K in parts rest in labor. could be more depending on if they see anything else as they go but probably not much. Insurance said the truck is worth at least 53k so no chance to total it.

So hopefully this shop is as good as all the reviews say and it gets back to pre accident condition. Little worried about them needing to pull the whole dash but we'll see. It will have a lifetime guarantee on the work.

All parts are OEM except primary cooling radiator and one headlight. I asked for a OEM radiator and insurance said they would agree to it. I'm going to ask about the headlight too, since one is OEM and one not, not sure why they would do that.

And I apologize if I came off blaming one certain person, was just generalizing.

#27 ·
I was in a similar accident recently with $18k front end damage. You are very lucky to be getting OEM parts on a 3 year old truck. Who is your insurance? I fought tooth and nail for OEM parts on my 2014 F250 and they said I didn't have a "rider clause" for OEM parts, therefore, I got knock-off brands. The truck was never the same after that much front end damage- sold it and never looked back.

#28 ·
My Insurance is AAA. It doesn't get driven much, less than 30k miles on it.

If I encounter consistent problems with it, it will be gone by the end of the year for a MY17.

#29 ·
Some updated pics of progress - Hard to look at for me...

Attachments

#30 ·
well seems like your on your last stage of grief...acceptance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.