Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

CK-4 Oil for your 6.7

102K views 170 replies 60 participants last post by  HeavyAssault 
#1 · (Edited)
So since the 1 Dec 2016 issuance of the API CK-4 and the impending CJ-4 phase out, I've been on the hunt for a replacement full synthetic oil for my 2016 Super Duty CC. For the past week, I've been in discussions with a local distributor, who happens to be a 3rd Party warehouse and distributor for Petro-Canada Lubricants Inc., they are the makers of Duron brands among others. According to the approved list of motor oils which is contained in one of the attachments to this thread, Duron UHP 5W-40 is an approved API CK-4 formula. I've include the technical data sheet, the Ford position statement, and the approved list. Now I realize some of this data has already been shared, but I thought it might help to put this in one post with all the attachments to support the thread.

View attachment Ford Motor Company CK-4 FA-4 Position Statement.pdf Ford Motor Company CK-4 FA-4 Position Statement.pdf

View attachment dieseloilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf FORD Approved List of Motor Oils for the new Spec

View attachment DurnUHP.PDF Duron UHP data sheet

Now, I've secured a purchasing deal with the distributor to buy 5 gallon pales at a preset price per gallon. At this time, the volume of sales of this particular product doesn't warrant the distributor getting a volume discount, but they have offered it at what I think is a fair price. They have assured me that if in fact we can get the volume up, they will negotiate a price reduction and would start stocking it regularly. Locally, I can get free delivery, yes free delivery with as little as a 10 gallon purchase. I've already setup and account to purchase my first 10 gallons, but plan to pick up the first delivery in person to further negotiate pricing and inventory stock. They have also offered to ship to "friends" for the cost of freight as a separate line item on the invoice.

So, what am I driving at? If there are members within a decent range of Nashville, say within 60 miles, I'd be willing to negotiate further for a larger bulk buy or pass along your information for you to do the negotiations yourself, I'm making nothing on additional volume. I am at a benefit if others by and there volume of sales increase enough for them to negotiate lower per gallon pricing.

Thoughts?

UPDATE:

Here is the link to the Ford site to check the list in real-time: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/searchdiesel.asp

See less See more
#2 ·
Just wanted to add that this isn't limited to people in a short driving distance to Nashville. In practice, someone else could order the oil, pay for the freight, and the only difference in what we pay locally is the cost of freight.

#3 ·
guess ill have to go citgo as its the only one ive seen local. Any one ever ru mystic 5w40 synthetic?

im not happy looking at this list

#4 ·
So does anyone know if they tested Rotella T6 CK-4 formula and it did not pass or have they even tested it yet?

This is going to suck, as that's easily found around my area. Have to do some hunting for another brand that is on the approved list. Valvoline I'm thinking...

#5 ·
this stuff needs to be pulled and brought back to the drawing board. I'm Emailing president Trump on this one. Maybe he will get someone at the EPA with common since to fix this. There is literally NO reliable or affordable solution for running 5w40 synthetic for which most of us do.

some one needs to say " YOUR FIRED " and hire a commoner..

#7 · (Edited)
I stocked up on Valvoline PBEX at NAPA on sale for $18/gal. It is the CJ-4, so no problem and I will revisit a year from now. However, PBEX is on the Ford approved list so I may continue with it when the CJ-4 is gone.

#8 ·
The cj4 phase out must be kind of slow around here. I haven't even seen any ck4 oils yet. However when that does happen I'll just keep running the motorcraft oil like I have been, you can't go wrong with that.

#9 ·
10w30 would be fine if I didn't tow long distance. 15W40 just seems like ancient history to me and way too heavy for Vermont winters so 5W40 suits all conditions. There are enough 5W40 oils on the list to be available to everyone. Meanwhile, stock up on CJ-4 which is still good today and will be 2 years from now.

#11 ·
Amsoil says a lot of stuff. I honestly don't trust a company that says there oil is the best no matter what you put it in. Hell it makes unicorns appear and your truck shoot out magical rainbows from the tail pipe..... ex.....

Sorry i don't really care for all of Amsoil's hype. there employees act like the same people from an Apple store.

If Ford puts it on the new approved list, than it should be fine. Other wise it's no different than McDonald's saying there food is healthy and wont make you fat with a cholesterol of 10000.

#12 ·
From what I've found in all my research, Shell expected to be on the approved list and was, except their T6 synthetic wasn't, some of their others were though. I suspect this came as no surprise in the end to them. I further suspect they probably won't reformulate for Ford specifications, although depending on sales, they may come out with a T6 alternative which does comply, it's going to be all in the numbers.

As far as Amsoil is concerned, it's simply not on the list. Maybe when an updated list comes out, if an updated list comes out, Amsoil will make the list. It's pretty easy for me, on the list, it's an option, off the list, it's not. I've found multiple sources of multiple 5W40 product and am probably going to use the Duron UHP, Mag 1, or Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme. The Mag 1 and Valvoline I can get through Grainger very easily, the Duron UHP through the distributor I spoke about on the first post of the thread. The Duron is a little bit more expensive than the Mag 1 and Valvoline, so unless they come down on the price, I may be one and done with them if others don't join in the purchasing.

#13 ·
#14 ·
That is good oil, I don't think the price is right because that would be a good deal for one gallon of it.

#15 ·
Just picked up Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme at my local Napa. I have always run T6 5W40 but neither of the two dealer service departments I called could give me an answer on if T6 being API CK-4 and CJ-4 was acceptable. So to be safe I will try the Valvoline.

#16 ·
I was at Walmart today and I noticed the ck4 oils are starting to show up. The old rottela is now t4 which is a ck4 and the t5 and t6 are in different bottles and are also ck4 now. Delo has a new design that is now ck4 but they still had plenty of the old. Valvoline and delvac are still cj4 and the motorcraft is getting harder to find and is out of stock at most wallmarts. I have enough of the cj4 delo and motorcraft oil to do two more oil changes, hopefully everything will be worked out by then. I know I have a 7.3 and not a 6.7 but ford said they don't reccomend ck4 in older diesels either and a 7.3 is harder on oil than a 6.7 because of the heui injection. Most of the oils on the list ford put out I have either never heard of or are to expensive.

#17 ·
Switched to rosella t6 5w-40 last oil change. Should I not be using this? 2013 super duty. Thanks

#19 ·
So....I don't see any Rotella or Mobil in the approved 5w-40 column. These two brands in 15w-40 are what I have used in my 2005 6.0 and 2008 6.4 and never had any issues. I am coming up on oil change time for my new to me 2015 6.7. Do I need to use the Syntetic Rotella T6 5w-40 that says it is CK4 or do I need to be shopping for something else? I usually order off Amazon.

#20 ·
I switched from T6 to Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme (PBX) and am very happy with it. NAPA carries it and it has been on sale for $18.99 a gallon recently.

#23 · (Edited)
There is no way that T6 is going to hurt the truck. It's been approved prior to the 6.7 even being out and now because of this "new standard" in the oil industry (the best part was the letter from Ford stating that they don't approve CK-4 in the 6.7 until further research is done as early as a few months ago)... Ford can't all of a sudden say that the 6.7 requires CK-4 going forward when it has been approved for CJ-4 all this time.

I will continue to run Rotella T6 in my truck just as I have been for 3 years and in my 6.0 for 8 years prior to that.

#24 ·
Just bought 3 jugs of the T6 that is listed as CK-4 on the back. Doing my oil change today.

#25 · (Edited)
#27 · (Edited)
CK-4 is a brand new standard that replaces CJ-4. Ford tested it and said they experienced excessive wear with it. They came out with their own specs (WSS-M2C171-F1) that are an add-on to CK-4. This is not a change of a 6 year old standard, but a brand new standard. Ford released their requirement and has published a list of the CK-4 oils that meet the revised Ford specs.

#28 ·
Gotcha, so if I am now understanding correctly, CJ-4 is still fine to run then in our trucks (and that's why others are stocking up on it as it gets harder to find)? Well I have 2 blackstone reports going out from this oil change and the one before. I'm still going to run this and will send it to the lab to see what they say.

#29 ·
For those running 5W-40 either by choice or recommendation when running B20 Biodiesel, I have found that Mag 1 and Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme are both readily available online at various retailers for pretty decent pricing, far cheaper than the Duron I purchased 10 gallons of from the local distributor. The Mag 1 I have found as low as $21.00 per gallon and the Valvoline as low as $27.28 per gallon, both with free shipping to a local pickup distributor.

I plan to run out the remaining Duron I have, the switch over to the Mag 1. Do some oil analysis first with the Duron in the next two oil change cycles, then do two Mag 1 cycles and compare. Both are on the WSSM2C171F1 specification list. The Mag 1 is hard to beat at the price point for a full synthetic. Has anybody used Mag 1 before? Any feedback?

#30 ·
And for those running 15w40, Harvest King is on the approved list, and on sale at Farm and Home Supply for 12.99 for a 2 gallon jug, or 29.99 for a 5 gallon pail.
Decent looking oil based on the MSDS.

SECTION 2: COMPOSITION

CAS Registry No. Concentration (%)
Component Name(s)
1) Highly-Refined Petroleum Lubricant Oils 64741-88-4;
64741-89-5;
64742-01-4; 80-100
64742-65-0
2) Proprietary Ingredients Proprietary Mixture 5 - 20
3) Zinc C1-C14 alkyldithiophosphate 68649-42-3 1 - 5
4) Bicyclo[2.2.1]hept-2-ene, 5-ethylidene-,
polymer with ethene and 1-propene 25038-36-2 1 - 5

#31 ·
I've heard Walmart's SuperTech Universal 15w40 was made by the same manufacture that Tractor Supply's Traveler brand was, which sounds like Harvest King.

Both get good marks and are cheap. Just don't know if 15w40 will be too thick in the cold weather.

Traveler and SuperTech are CJ-4 FWIW.

#33 · (Edited)
SuperTech Fleet and Traveller are the same, made by Warren, the same folks that bring you Lubriguard.
Harvest King is made by Citgo.
15w40 is good to 20 degrees unassisted.
A 10w30 gets you to 0 degrees.
5w40 below that if you have to be out in the cold.
Our Canadian friends can get, and likely use an 0w40 at times.
The 6.7 starts so reliably in cold that you may not even have a block heater in it, depending on the state it was destined for during build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.