Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Lock vs Auto Lock Hubs

28K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  00t444e 
#1 ·
Looks like we'll have steady snow cover for a while now. I've read where some lock their hubs when it is like this. When the hubs are locked, what are the advantages and disadvantages in slick conditions. It still isn't 4WD. Wouldn't parking lots and sharp turns be a problem with the hubs locked? Why not just leave them set to Auto?

#2 ·
Only bad thing I ever heard about leaving the hubs locked in, is it reduces fuel mileage.

Reactions: jokester00
#3 ·
When your hubs are engaged, there are more moving parts, so there is some additional wear..

I flanged the hubs in my Raptor trying to get rid of the stock IWE hub (it's junk in those truck IMO.) The steering was a little heavier, but that didn't bother me. What did bother me was the CV joint and wheel bearing going out early.

The mileage really didn't seem to take much of a hit tho, not that it was any good to begin with.

#5 ·
I will lock mine if i know i don't want to possibly get out of the truck in case the vacuum lines fail ( water,mud, super deep snow, nasty muck, ex ). I leave it in auto otherwise. I just test to make sure it works on days i might need it.

#6 ·
When the hubs are manually locked, the front driveshaft, front diff, and front axles all rotate freely with the wheel as if it was in 4 wheel - only thing disconnected in the line is the transfer case. When in auto, none of this rotates with the tire unless the hub is engaged via vacuum when the truck is shifted to 4wd - unless your vaccuam lines are broke.
Added wear...eh sure maybe. Reduced mpg?...not enough to matter more than likely. I used to lock mine in the winter until I got new wheels that have covers over the hub switch...

Honestly leaving them in auto and forgetting about it 99% of the time is the norm nowdays it usually works..when it dont just flip the hubs

Reactions: ckrueg and ZMANN
#7 ·
I haven't had to use the 4by in this truck yet but I know that in my F150 if I got in a situation where the truck wouldn't move at all once I put it in 4by it would slam in pretty hard.

#8 ·
If you have never had to climb out in the snow/mud and dig out your hubs hoping the whole time that they arent frozen then you will never appreciate locking them manually.

The rest of you who use it to get down your cul de sac for the starbucks run... you'll be fine.

#9 ·
LOVE IT. sad but so very true. Many don't know what its like to dive underwater to get to you hubs or screw driver to get the ice out ex....

Im glad those day are behind me. That is why i do sometimes still lock my manual if i know i might be in a very iffy area. Hurray Ford for not doing away with them.

I do wish that my rear diff locker had some kind of manual lock as-well. Maybe a pull lever like the parking brake somewhere in the vehicle just in case that solenoid fails.

Maybe i should Patten that.

Reactions: Heavy_GD
#10 ·
There is nothing wrong with leaving the hub's locked I know people that leave them locked all year round. I leave mine locked all winter and have no problems. Also on a diesel you won't notice a difference in fuel mileage like you will on a gas truck due to the low end torque of a diesel.

Reactions: ZMANN
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.