Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Figures - P1267 cel code

13K views 42 replies 9 participants last post by  C_Karl 
#1 ·
I haven't owned my truck a whole month and the CEL lights up.... it was driving wierd today shifting at wierd spots, really rough idle when at stoplights.

The night before Coys Diesel's dyno day too..

#5 ·
P1267 cel code

Cylinder 7 high to low side short. Autozone says it has to do with injector. Which is funny because I just ran a whole June of diesel kleen through it.

Not how I wanted to spend my Saturday.

#6 ·
Shorted injector codes can sometimes be attributed to metal in the fuel system due to the hpfp coming apart.
I would start by taking a fuel sample from the driver side rail.
Remove the rail pressure sensor at front of drivers side rail. Take a black spray can lid and hold it under the open port. Have someone crank the engine until the lid fills adequately. Shine a flashlight at the sample and inspect for glitter.

If the fuel looks clean and free of metal, test at injector 7 connector for short to ground

Reactions: Mossive
#7 ·
It comes and goes over the past three days. I think something might be loose or rubbing against the valve cover. These damn Louisiana roads are awfully bumpy. Damn near rattled my fillings out of my teeth.

When upgrading the turbo and/or deleting the egr, is the harness removed?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Nope, harness stays.
Honestly, anytime I've ever seen injector shorted codes on a 6.7, it was because of metal contamination in the fuel.
Takes 5 minutes to take that sample.
Pull the metal cac tube, and the frp sensor is accessible to remove. 1-1/16" wrench. You must use a black container to catch the sample, and the engine must be cranked to expell fuel. shine the flashlight at it.
If its free of metal, go directly to number 7 injector. Disconnect the connector and test the injector for short to ground.

#9 ·
How does that happen? Just a bad batch of fuel? Or is my fuel filter need replacement?

#10 ·
Oh you don't know about the cp4 on these trucks yet eh?
Just google search it and you'll find lots of info.
Type in ford 6.7 cp4 problems

#12 ·
Its not as bad of a problem as Kaya makes it out but the Odds are there.

That is why they went to a longer bore stroke CP4 on the 15 and up year models.

Reactions: kaya
#13 ·
Haha. Yea sorry. Not trying to imply that all 6.7's are prone to this. It's a thing. Not a widespread thing tho. :)
Not saying its indefinitely your issue either. I've seen maybe 3 with injector short codes. Not a huge number to make a clear cut analysis on. But they all did end up having contamination.

#43 ·
Just Curious, would 'normal wear' show up in the flashlight test. Normal, meaning, metal particles large enough to be seen with the flashlight test, but small enough to pass through an injector? Additionally, could these particles contribute to an error code?

#14 ·
And I was all worried about replacing the whole fuel system

#15 ·
Oh well don't go counting chickens just yet bud. Take the sample first.
What year and how many miles on this truck?

#16 ·
2014 with 105k

#17 ·
The big signal that I saw in your post was that it was running rough. I've seen these trucks with a completely dead hole run pretty smooth. The PCM is capable of adjusting fuel trim that much.
Tells me something else may be going on

#18 ·
It's every other time I drive it. Only had the CEL twice this weekend. I'm traveling away from home so I don't have my tools

#19 ·
Yea I wouldn't be driving it with this problem. Not without a fuel sample taken. Worst case, you could hang an injector and kiss the bottom end goodbye.
Sorry. Not trying to frighten you here. Just stating possibilities for your own good.
That fuel sample is key here

Reactions: mwe_060 and Mossive
#20 ·
CEL turned off saturday. I am dropping it off at the local shop today. Fingers crossed they figure it out without replacing the fuel system. I'm going to have them upgrade the turbo and tune it after they figure out what's going on.

Decided to go with the mdp budget kit over the towmax kit from Midwest, also getting the no limit egr delete and intake. Tuning will be the SCT x4 livewire with GH tune. Not looking for a tire burner but something fun that will last decades.

#21 ·
] Kaya was right. F my life. I haven't had the truck a month

#22 ·
well if you wanna delete it, now would be the time since te egr cooler needs to come out for the contamination kit.
just make sure they drop the tank and flush the entire system thoroughly prior to replacing anything.

sorry to hear, but at least you didnt drive it around and blow a hole through a piston or have it runaway. which are possiblites on these crd engines

any warranty from where you got it from? they cant call rust in the system bs if you only had it a month

#23 ·
no warranty.

i talked with the dealer who had their shop manager call me. He wants me to tow it back to dallas for him to look at it (yeah right)

#24 ·
can make it work with a uhaul with travel trailer?

they claim all their truck rentals are tow capable, i just worry the SuperDuty is a bit super for their 15` box truck rental

#25 ·
It's a pretty hefty bill.
Looking at 3-4k$ for the kit plus nearly 20hr labor. And injector quantity values need to be reprogrammed, so an IDS will be necessary for that.
I would be trying pretty hard to get the seller to help you at least on this. If they're reasonable and reputable, it shouldn't be an issue

#26 ·
They own a top performance shop in Dallas so they want me to tow it back; but i'll only do that if they are fixing it in house. Which makes sense from a business perspective. I'll have to rent an f150 and car dolly, put little used tires on my truck, throw the 37's in the bed and drive that sum***** back to dallas this weekend.

Thanks Kaya for your insights!

#27 ·
Update. They say they are working on it and have ordered parts. At this point it's been in the shop longer than I have driven it. I'm not putting up too much of a fight as they are completely covering the replacement costs

#28 ·
Reactions: 6.0newb!
#31 ·
If you have confirmed fuel contamination Ford will not honor your warranty for a fuel related failure if you have a stock system, or modified.

To the OP I don't even understand the point of only replacing certain components, get some info from you local Ford service, or I'm sure there is a published tsb regarding contaminated fuel and metal in the system.

It's all gotta be done, I just forsee bigger headaches down the road via a bandaid repair.

As @kaya has said there is a kit and 20hrs labor involved, your not the first person this has happened too, and good luck blaming you with rust if you haven't had the truck a month.

A common approach for unfortunate owners is to go through comprehensive coverage via auto insurance for a repair. Kind of falls into sugar in the gas tank scenario...

I belive this should not fall on you, or out of your pocket, but all sales are final, it's a used truck, **** happens and so forth.

#33 ·
Just spoke to my local service adviser and he printed off this for me:

"SSM 44543 -2011-2014 F-Super Duty - 6.7L Diesel - High Pressure Fuel System Service Kit

A High Pressure Fuel System Service Kit is now available for 6.7L Diesel equipped vehicles for instances when the high pressure fuel system requires replacement due to contamination (Kit number EC3Z-9B246-A). This kit includes the High Pressure Pump (HPP), High Pressure fuel rails, all eight fuel injectors, injector return lines, engine mounted high pressure fuel lines and the HPP fuel supply lines (Fuel temperature and Fuel pressure sensors included). When the high pressure fuel system becomes contaminated with metal, diesel exhaust fluid (DEF), gasoline or other contaminates, it is extremely important that all of these components are replaced. For further information on diesel fuel system contamination and repair procedures, please referance the 6.7L Diesel Fuel System Service Tips Job Aid located on PTS under service tips.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2011-2014 TRUCK: 00028 F-SERIES
2011-2014 TRUCK: FA P473 SUPER DUTY"

Not mentioned here are Fuel Filters and I'm sure other misc parts.

This is a direct quote from the paper the Ford service department put into my hand, the bold parts are highlighted by me.

Also imperative to drop and clean the tanks as @kaya said already.

Whats the worst that could happen? A chunk of metal lodges in an injector(s), it hangs open and melts the piston and so forth.

Basically the repair they offered you is unacceptable.

#34 ·
Completely agree. All parts MUST be replaced and only after the system has been flushed and cleaned.

No other acceptable option.

And when the system goes, it is the HPFP, not LPFP.

Is this a Ford dealer?

#35 ·
Nope just a shop. Once i get it back i am driving it and dropping it off at Coys Diesel for a look over before they begin their work. Coy told me the same thing that everything should be replaced but I am in no position as I feel i am at their mercy of replacing the parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.