post #201 of 211 Old 02-13-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
Did you buy a new axle, or were you able to save the old one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a new axle from the Ford Dealership down the street.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 211 Old 02-14-2017, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Garage
Hard part is over, now to make them fit...

layson and Mannysouza like this.

post #203 of 211 Old 02-15-2017, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
good looking wheels

post #204 of 211 Old 02-17-2017, 09:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCVeloMan View Post
Hard part is over, now to make them fit...

Those are pretty cool. Remind me of some old school weld methods with rings!
post #205 of 211 Old 02-17-2017, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Haven't checked in for months Months. You need more pics. And 20s bro? I'm not going to scroll back through 4 years worth of rhetoric but I'm pretty sure you and skyed have always sworn them off. I've always acknowledged less sidewall is bette fir towing and that's why we're not driving raptors (to tow). Balance is good in everything in life. Suprised to see you running 20s. They look purty. Won't find 20s on my prerunner but 22s on my superduty

King/Deavers/37s/AF 22x12s/4:56/F/R Detroits/Road Armors/Warn12k/155/30s, MTW S1Billet/GoGo Manifold/Banks IC/NADP Heavy Hauler Trans/ORU Hydro-Steer/PHP tow Tune/BPD HD oil cooler/Oil & Coolant bypass/AMP steps/TransferFlow tank-toolbox

post #206 of 211 Old 02-18-2017, 08:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
Haven't checked in for months Months. You need more pics. And 20s bro? I'm not going to scroll back through 4 years worth of rhetoric but I'm pretty sure you and skyed have always sworn them off. I've always acknowledged less sidewall is bette fir towing and that's why we're not driving raptors (to tow). Balance is good in everything in life. Suprised to see you running 20s. They look purty. Won't find 20s on my prerunner but 22s on my superduty
Dan just realizes that he gets more Instagram Hearts when he post pics of 20's. LOL!

In reality certain 37's on 20's with the right tire pressure aren't horrible but their 17 and 18" counterparts will still ride better and support more weight.

When you start to get down to 35's on 20's or go up to 22's or 24's the ride just starts to degrade too much.

As far as shorter sidewalls being better for towing, it's actually the exact opposite. A good example would be to compare the Load Rating of comparable sizes of the ever popular 37" Toyo M/T.

The 17" version supports 4300 lbs at 65 psi and rides "great"
The 20" version supports 3860 lbs at 65 psi and rides "ok"
The 22" version supports 3420 lbs at 65 psi and rides "very stiff by comparison"
The 24" version supports 3085 lbs at 65 psi and rides "like a skateboard wheel"

The load rating on the bottom 2 sizes are lower than most D-rated tires in smaller wheel diameters. And if you look at the Load and inflation tables, the 17" version will support more weight at 50 psi than the 22" version will support a the Max psi of 65.

If the shorter sidewall is better for towing theory was correct then Semi's would all run 32"+ diameter wheels.

Let me put it in writing that I may run 20's at some point in the future but it will only be because I have money to burn and they "look cool". But there will never be a logical or practical reason unless I am trying to clear some gigantic brake setup. I ran a set of of 35's on 20's on the '11 for a few weeks to do a back to back test between those and 35's on 18's and the ride difference was very noticeable. And when I swapped from 35's on 18's to 37's on 17's the ride difference was astounding.
FordBlueHeart and Mannysouza like this.

Carli Suspension | Pure Performance Suspension | Bilstein Shocks | Fox Shocks
Dynatrac | Flo Pro Exhaust| aFe Power | S&B | BMF | Fuel | Air Dog | Amp Research
Trailready Wheels | Spicer | ARP | REV-X | RIGID Industries | KD Fabworks | Baja Designs

888-886-2480

Last edited by Skyd Ram; 02-21-2017 at 11:42 AM.
post #207 of 211 Old 02-19-2017, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Lol great points. Interesting the load ratings you pointed out. I just meant there was less sidewall flex and that equates to stability to me, but as you pointed out, it's a balance. Good points. I'll get a new truck in a year or two and run your 4.5 kit and 37s. I'll run 22s again lol.

King/Deavers/37s/AF 22x12s/4:56/F/R Detroits/Road Armors/Warn12k/155/30s, MTW S1Billet/GoGo Manifold/Banks IC/NADP Heavy Hauler Trans/ORU Hydro-Steer/PHP tow Tune/BPD HD oil cooler/Oil & Coolant bypass/AMP steps/TransferFlow tank-toolbox

post #208 of 211 Old 02-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Lol great points. Interesting the load ratings you pointed out. I just meant there was less sidewall flex and that equates to stability to me, but as you pointed out, it's a balance. Good points. I'll get a new truck in a year or two and run your 4.5 kit and 37s. I'll run 22s again lol.
No worries,

I always tell customers that they can run whatever wheel and tire setup that they want. I just like to make it clear that although they are taking a few steps forward in ride and performance with certain suspension setups but then they may be negating some or all of that with certain wheel/tire combos.

Carli Suspension | Pure Performance Suspension | Bilstein Shocks | Fox Shocks
Dynatrac | Flo Pro Exhaust| aFe Power | S&B | BMF | Fuel | Air Dog | Amp Research
Trailready Wheels | Spicer | ARP | REV-X | RIGID Industries | KD Fabworks | Baja Designs

888-886-2480

post #209 of 211 Old 02-21-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by layson View Post
Those are pretty cool. Remind me of some old school weld methods with rings!
Thanks, always dug that "Y" style rim.

Quote:
As I said, do as I say, not as I do. I won't be complaining about my ride quality because of the 20s! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram View Post
Dan just realizes that he gets more Instagram Hearts when he post pics of 20's. LOL!
Don't be jealous cuzzz I'ze instafamous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram View Post
Let me put it in writing that I may run 20's at some point in the future but it will only be because I have money to burn and they "look cool". But there will never be a logical or practical reason unless I am trying to clear some gigantic brake setup. I ran a set of of 35's on 20's on the '11 for a few weeks to do a back to back test between those and 35's on 18's and the ride difference was very noticeable. And when I swapped from 35's on 18's to 37's on 17's the ride difference was astounding.
I look forward to your transition to the dark side!

Quote:
22s.....
hollywood19 likes this.

post #210 of 211 Old 02-21-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Garage
Fitting a wide rim on a 4.5" lift takes commitment, kids. So it begins!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode